Galveston liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madaquarist

Veteran Member
Hello all
I am currently working in Galveston for the next 30 days, it may get extended to 90. The admiral will be joining me at the end of the week. Since we are in the beginning stages of our boat search I'd thought it would be nice to be able to talk to people and get their first hand thoughts of the boat they chose to live on. Maybe get together for a cocktail. We are planning on looking at a few boats here to help us decide what styles we like, wants and needs as well.
Are there any here in Galveston that would be willing to meet with us?

I'm in Galveston but don't have much help here.
There are two marinas--Galveston Yacht Basin at the end of Holiday Drive-East End and a newer, mostly sport fisherman marina on the I-45 access road behind the "13 Restaurant".

There are also a significant number of boats in the larger marinas in the Kemah, Seabrook, Clear Lake area--20 or so miles up I-45.

Coincidentally--in today's paper--might give you some leads-
https://www.galvnews.com/coast/features/article_ad359486-6f26-11e3-b480-001a4bcf6878.html

I would make a list of what you think are must haves and nice to haves. We don’t live aboard but our list of must haves were no built in furniture, no vertical ladders and an outdoor space that we could sit in during a rain. We both have back issues and can not sit on built in furniture for very long. You need to sit for more than a couple of minutes while looking at a boat. Imagine reading or watching a movie for several hours, would the seating be comfortable? My wife has had 5 shoulder surgeries in the last 3 years and we have an 85 pound Lab so no vertical ladders. We wanted to be able to sit and watch the rain or sit on cool days and watch the world go by so we got a sundeck with an enclosure. As to twins vs singles, I really didn’t care but rather get the boat that overall meets your needs.

Ken
I've driven by those marinas and it's on our list to stop and see if we can wander and maybe talk to an owner. We also plan to look at a boat in League City that is for sale. We're trying to get on many different boats so we can experience the differences ourselves.

Comodave
It appears we have the same wants when it comes to ease of access. We too have a larger dog that will want to be close by, not to mention our 2 cats. Not only that but sooner or later we will that ease as well.We have our list of must haves and wants. As I would assume most couples have those items that could go either way. Getting real life experiences of others can go a long way.

I lived on a 37 double cabin trawler for a few year on clear lake. I'm in key west on my next boat now :)
I know a few who live in both Galveston marinas. And looked at many boats for sale between Galveston and clear lake.
There are a few broker piers at south shore and Watergate, I'd recommend Little Yacht sales, they are super helpful and I bought my pervious boat from them.
The more boats you see you'll get a better idea of what you want.
Bigger isn't always better.

I lived on a 37 double cabin trawler for a few year on clear lake. I'm in key west on my next boat now :)
I know a few who live in both Galveston marinas. And looked at many boats for sale between Galveston and clear lake.
There are a few broker piers at south shore and Watergate, I'd recommend Little Yacht sales, they are super helpful and I bought my pervious boat from them.
The more boats you see you'll get a better idea of what you want.
Bigger isn't always better.
Thanks Nopiston, there is a Marine Trader up in League City at Little Yacht Sales that we want to see. The admiral and I where down at Willie G's having a cocktail and there just happen to be a Jefferson 46 docked there. We wondered over to look closer and the owners invited us aboard a gave us a tour. Needless to say she fell in love with the layout and all the room.

Thanks Nopiston, there is a Marine Trader up in League City at Little Yacht Sales that we want to see. The admiral and I where down at Willie G's having a cocktail and there just happen to be a Jefferson 46 docked there. We wondered over to look closer and the owners invited us aboard a gave us a tour. Needless to say she fell in love with the layout and all the room.

There was a DeFever 44 I loved the layout of and would have bought at Watergate last year if it had 2 more inches of headroom

Back
Top Bottom