Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

City: South Florida
Galveston Area Live Aboard Marinas

Found out this week that I will be heading back to Galveston for the next few years, so I am moving forward with my planning to buy a boat and move aboard.

Searching around on Active Captain I only see Pelican Rest in Galveston, however I have heard conflicting reports for Galveston Yacht Basin.

Most likely I will end up in the Clear Lake area instead, so I would appreciate any input on the marinas up there as well.

Thanks,
Chris

puddlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
We kept our boat at Waterford Harbor on Clear Lake. It is a great marina that didn't require a yearly lease, so if you something better you are free to go. They also had an on site pump-out, most other marinas did not, requiring a pump out service. There are quite a few choices on Clear Lake, the ones you mentioned in Galveston, and the is also Harborwalk in Hitchcock. It's nice and remote if that's what your after. Traffic gets congested in the area so the location of your job may play a large part in what marina to pick.

Rafe

Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Pelican Rest is a great marina, although not well located. Galveston Yacht Basin is in a much better location, but the marina is not in great repair.

Clear Lake has several good live aboard marinas. Seabrook Shipyard is well located, but security isn't great. Watergate, Portofino, and Waterford are good marinas and well located. South Shore is a nice marina with hotel attached, but it's a long way to the Bay and in a north wind the water gets very shallow. Blue Dolphin can be OK, but some of the slips are shallow.

If you need more details, send me a mesage. Happy to help.

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

City: South Florida
Thanks for the replies. I was previously stationed in Galveston, and lived in league city. While I did not care for the 45 minute commute, I liked the area. I did a lot of Wednesday night racing on clear lake, and would like to again. That alone may make the decision for me.
puddlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
I'm in clear lake! South Shore has a pumpout that's free to members. Definitely get a marina with floating docks.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote