Old 10-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
"The hardest thing for you and especially the Admiral will be down sizing. We down sized twice. Space on a boat is very limited, so you and the wife will be giving a lot of stuff away to family and friends."

Or in my case, I lock the door to the condo in Atlanta, tell the neighbors I should be back in March.
Of course I downsized again after the 46Nordhavn was destroyed in the yard.
I now have a storeroom, near the boat, too. LOL
Slowly but surely, I have been giving things away from the store room. I keep giving away lines and fenders stashed in the storeroom. The more lines I give away, the more lines I seem to have remaining, sort of like wire hangers. I think they both bred in the dark.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Don't start with the boat, start with actual boating.
Excellent advice!

Chartering trawlers/motoryachts is the best way to find out what you really like and don't like. Also, you might consider Boat B&Bs. Spend weekends on different boats and pretend like you are living aboard.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #23

City: Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you for all the advice. I have been taking boating classes as I am familiar with lake boating and somewhat with ocean boating. I plan on taking the Captains course and getting my Captains Lic. Nothing more than the knowledge, I do not want to rent out or pretend to be something I am not. I have some charts at home that I have been looking at and have been looking at different boats. Lots of choices and with the input from everyone I will be narrowing it down to a few different types, thank you all for the support to a novice. I was looking at a power catamaran, any input here? From what I can see they are pretty good on the gas mileage, True/False? Are the power catamaran's any good for what I am planning, open seas ect? Or are they like a cork on water?
dsmangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #24
Guru

desmangan, "lots of choices and with the input from everyone I will be narrowing it down to a few different types, thank you all for the support to a novice."

Remember it is your wife who has the final say in this, not us. (Fight her tooth and nail when it comes to the decision between a wooden boat vs. glass or steel boat.)

IMO, the disadvantage of a catamaran is finding a place wide enough to dock it.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #25

OldDan,
Yes I am VERY aware of "If mama ain't happy, then nobody's happy". BOY, am I aware!! I usually narrow things down so she does not get overwhelmed and we will pick out what we like together. I believe that with showing her everyone's input here and other areas, I have steered her away from a wooden boat. Thank you
Old 10-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I've given versions of the following soliloquy here many times.

Don't start with the boat, start with actual boating.

Do some charters in various locations, and taking the on-the-water courses most charter companies will provide (for instance Northwest Explorations in Bellingham, WA , Southwest Florida Yachts or Chitwood Charters in FL or Club Nautique in the SF Bay Area).

First of all, this gets you out there on the water, now.

Secondly it helps you determine whether the cruising life really is for you and yours.

Third, it is invaluable in putting together your personal specs and standards for what you folks want in a boat and what you will be comfortable on.

Fourth it will help inform you as to where you want to go cruising.

It is a very personal (for all involved) choice and what any of us may post here as suggestions is at this point irrelevant.

Best advice ever.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We still don't know what the budget range is yet. The planned itinerary CAN be accomplished in a "Coastal Cruiser" simply by keeping a very sharp eye on the weather and sea states AND having a lot of time and patience.

Looking for "the" boat with a $500K maximum (+ extra $$ for contingencies) will open a much broader market wrt. age, on board equipment, ammenities and capabilities than with a $100K limit.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #28

I would say that I could afford a boat maximum at $200K (cash), preferably half that. Monthly income would be about $5K

Most of the boats I have been looking at are $100K or less.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmangan View Post
I would say that I could afford a boat maximum at $200K (cash), preferably half that. Monthly income would be about $5K

Most of the boats I have been looking at are $100K or less.
Unless you are VERY lucky, the $100K will be a nice DOWN PAYMENT for 40ft+ boat that is NOT A PROJECT BOAT.

You do not want a project boat, TRUST US ALL on that point unless you wish to get divorced because your wife will constantly remind you of the growing cost. (Honestly, I say that in a nice way.)
You want to buy a boat that will allow you to get onboard and 'go' today, Not 'next year'.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere, a boat less than 10 years old. SHRUG I dont know about the validity of that statement.
Noah's boat was less than 10 years old. Christopher Columbus's boats were less than 10 years old too. Neither one of them updated their electronics either.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #30

OldDan,
I agree, I do not want a project boat. Like you say, I want to take my wife and daughter to where the boat is, get the boat loaded with what we need and go. That is the plan anyway.

So, not trying to argue, the boats that I have been looking at (Pop Yatch) for $100K or less that say they have been inspected and are in top condition, basically a turn key boat, is probably hiding a bigger issue? (Not including all boats) How would I know for sure that there are no big issues with the boat (no matter what the cost)? There has to be inspectors that are A1 certified, correct?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #31
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. ds. Thank you. Did I, or anyone else mention that EVERY boat is a compromise?

I tend to disagree with Mr. OD to some extent. The $100K boats ARE out there but it will take some looking.

I DO agree fully about NOT getting a project boat. You will have more than enough to do with a boat that is in "good shape". There is the undeniable, inevitable "nesting" and upgrading costs so a slush fund is a given.

Just saw your post (#30). HAH! "Ready to go" or "top condition" CAN be akin to a car that's only been driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday. NOT necessarily hiding anything but condition is more of a judgement call.

I'm currently driving a 19 year old Jeep that I think is in great shape (everything works) BUT she's kinda ugly (rusty).

What you will eventually need is a marine surveyor. Some are more A1 than others and finding a good one will be part of your search. Even the best surveyors do miss items that need attention. The better the surveyor the fewer "surprises", for the most part.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. ds. Thank you. Did I, or anyone else mention that EVERY boat is a compromise?

I tend to disagree with Mr. OD to some extent. The $100K boats ARE out there but it will take some looking.

I DO agree fully about NOT getting a project boat. You will have more than enough to do with a boat that is in "good shape". There is the undeniable, inevitable "nesting" and upgrading costs so a slush fund is a given.
100%
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #33
Guru

Remember, you are planning both blue and green water cruising voyages so you want the best boat possible. You are putting your life, your wife's life and your daughter's life into the safety of your chosen boat.
Take your time and visit as many boats that interest you. If nothing else, you will see other possibilities and decide which upgrades you want to do now and which upgrades you can do in the years to come.
Also understand, you are creating your boat for the next owner too. LOL
Old 10-31-2018, 05:32 PM   #34
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr.OD. "Unless you are VERY lucky, the $100K will be a nice DOWN PAYMENT for 40ft+ boat" VERY, VERY valid statement for an offshore capable vessel!
Old 10-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I think catamarans are a good choice. But they can be expensive. They are good in a seaway(although weird motion). THey are fuel efficient. They are shallow draft. And lots of space in a boat of shorter length. Yes there is the issue of moorage while cruising but you can ask current cat owners and they say it is not an issue. Just something that needs to be considered when looking ahead to tying up somewhere. One thing we will say over and over again. Just make sure your head is screwed on straight. THere is a problem sometimes that people have this "dream". The closer that dream is to reality is directly related to the success of achieving that dream. There are marinas full of boats that belong to dreamers that were too far away from reality. IOW keep your mind open and listen like you are doing right now. I think you are doing it right.

AN example is a guy I met last night. He is determined to get an aluminum boat. That narrows his search extremely. His reasoning is because he wants to put keel cooling on it. He has reasons for keel cooling but they are nothing more than we know already know. He lives 500 miles from the coast and wants to ship the boat to his home...have his son rig/weld up keep coolers and then ship the boat back.....ALL TO SAVE MONEY on a $50k boat!!!!! I can tell you right now, his dream is very far from reality. I wish him luck but he has already backed himslef into a corner if he proceeds with his plans.

So keep it real. Go with tried and true methods of doing things unless you are an expert in a field(ie a shipwright that buys a wooden boat). And like you already know....make absolutely sure that your wife is in on the decisions. Make sure you are both crazy about the boat for the right reasons!!!

Good luck amigo. And may your reality become your dream!!!....see what I did there!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #36
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmangan View Post
How would I know for sure that there are no big issues with the boat (no matter what the cost)? There has to be inspectors that are A1 certified, correct?

A typical process is that you (or perhaps your representative, like a buyer's broker) views a candidate boat, and postulates it's worth a closer look. If that wasn't you, you're next (with wifey).

If it still looks promising, you might make an offer subject to inspections, surveys, sea trial... there's some haggling back-and-forth... and if something is eventually accepted by the seller, you trot out some earnest money, usually held in escrow.

Then a marine surveyor, and often a mechanical surveyor (engine guy), inspects the boat to death (or sometimes take 10 minutes and say it's not worth going further), write you a 40-page report (mostly pro-forma but highlighting findings)...

Then you maybe dicker some more on price based on survey findings, or maybe the seller fixes some stuff...

And eventually the seller gets your money and you get the boat. Very much a generalization, of course...

Marine surveyors are usually members of sanctioning orgs, maybe in some States actually licensed. Ideal mechanical surveyors are usually certified by the engine manufacturer.

There's a thread on it around here; can't remember the name -- survey's 101 or some such -- but maybe somebody has already highlighted it...

-Chris
Old 10-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #37

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Good points by everyone.

Another thing is to enjoy the journey of deciding what you want to do together as you retire, when to do it, how to do it, where to do it, with what. In some ways it doesn't actually matter what you buy or do, as long as you're enjoying the time planning and moving towards an outcome.

We're 4-5 year out from fulltime cruiser, but have started in what some consider the worst way: purchasing a boat in another hemisphere, not quite 180 degrees around the world. For us the journey of planning and choosing, looking and evaluating, then purchasing has been fantastic. Next will be getting aboard for a holiday or moving her slightly closer to areas we can visit more easily.

But to get to this point, the two of us have spent a year together closely planning our future, and that is worth it's weight in gold whatever happens.

Will we have the same boat in 4-5 years time? Probably. Will we know more about our journey by the time we get there - definitely. Will we have spent money? I have said it's a boat, haven't I?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Can you tell us what you and your wife are doing boating-wise? Have you ever been multi-day cruising together? These courses you are taking, are they on salt water, and are you taking them together?

I am raising these and other flags because in the course of our years on the water as liveaboards and full time cruisers, we witnessed so many expensive and tragically unnecessary failures of cruising dreams and worse yet of marriages and relationships. I apologize for jumping to conclusions, as interpreting incomplete information on the internet is fraught with the potential for error, but I've read nothing but "red flag" issues from the OP so far.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #39
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Buyer beware... Every boat listed on the internet is "turn key ready" Just get in and go. Also, the pictures and specs are always the most current. They never use the same pictures that were used the last time the boat was sold, when the boat was kept under cover, and now it's been out in the elements the past 7 years.

I agree that $100,000 would be a good down payment. I think you will find as you get further into the process that it's going to cost much more to be able to do go the places you want to go.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #40
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
I spent some time in Sierra Vista. A couple of times. Nice area. Far from the water, though.

You have a great plan. Definitely doable. Wise, that you have chosen diesel. Much better suited to the plans you have. Also, good to go through the Captain's course for the knowledge. I'm going through it now, too, and am surprised by the things many boaters (including myself) are responsible for knowing and don't.

Catamarans are nice. Roomy and less rolly at anchor than many monohulls. However, as others have pointed out, they're expensive and one that is not a project boat may be beyond your price range. There are a lot of roomy monohulls that could be in your budget, though. Most likely, they'll need updated electronics (seems to be the number one upgrade on older boats).

Keep us posted on your search. If you find a couple of candidate boats, post the links and we'll help you sort through them. Please be aware that means people are likely to poke holes in some of the candidates you list.

John
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote