Forward hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LUVYAPOP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
LUVYAPOP
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa Stinger custom
Finally getting around to asking if anyone knows what these slots are for in my fwd hatch. I have a 1981 CH trawler. Curious as to how these are used. The slots are above where the glass goes. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190219_115018.jpg
    20190219_115018.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190219_115034.jpg
    20190219_115034.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 113
I'd guess they are for plywood panels to protect the glass in heavy seas or boat parties and/or to block the sun during the summer.

I'd guess they are for plywood panels to protect the glass in heavy seas or boat parties and/or to block the sun during the summer.

not likely part of the original design.
My fwd hatches have SS bars over the glass, as drunk protection. Yours may be something along those lines, added by a PO. I don't think protection from heavy seas is required, as the glass is safety glass, 2 layers of 1/8" with a membrane between, so plenty of strength for seas, but not enough to keep a misplaced elbow out of trouble.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks so much. Guess I need to cut a couple of pieces of wood now for the parties.

Back
Top Bottom