Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Benson,AZ
Folding bicycles

We are just beginning our cruising adventures and thinking about bicycles. Any comments about folding bikes would be appreciated. Any ones to keep away from?
Thanks
Wally and Darcy

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Wally & Darcy

... Folding bicycles and inflatable kayaks. That's the best way to exercise I cannot tell you about the bicycles because I am in Brazil, but if you ever consider a kayak, I strongly recommend the one below. I have one for 18 months now and it goes out in the sea every weekend. I use it with my wife, and my son uses it to help his surfing friends. It is still in very good shape
Sport Kayaks

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
We have a pair of Port Runners (West Marine). They're great for running up to the store or taking in some sights. We really enjoy ours.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Guru

We have two Dahon Folding Bikes.
DAHON Bikes USA:*Home
We have not used them that much, may have 100 miles or so on them. We like them, but keep them stored off the boat when not in use.

We are thinking of motorizing one of them.
BionX e-Bike Systems
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
We cruised with our west marine bikes a year and they rusted in spite of everything being used to prevent the rust. I would not buy them again. My friends have Dahons and love them. Stay away from the 16 inch wheels if you have any hills. We now have full size Sun bikes and just load them up. They are no more storage trouble than anything else on the boat. We are in a prime area for biking now and love the full size bikes.
HTH,
S
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
My advice would be to spend the extra for the lightest you can get. I didn't and wish I had. If you're in salt water you need to keep that in mind when you choose. You may also want to consider standard size bikes if you have room (same advice as above). I don't think they weigh that much more. We found he mini bikes aren't that efficient with the smaller wheels and limited gearing. They also are a little wierd to ride until you get used to them. I love to ride but the small fold ups weren't that much fun for me.
captrigney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Would love to have them and a place to store them.

I have heard many people that are dissatisfied with the smaller wheels many have.

Till I'm sure and try one out for a long spin and figure out where to keep them from rusting...a couple of used beach cruisers that rust out every year is my answer.

The poor mans folding bike is a kids banana bike sawed down the middle with some tubing to slip into the frame and hose clamps to hold it all together...have seen some nicely done ones and they have bigger wheels than the expensive folders.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Take a look at the ones from Bike Friday. Ask at your local bike shop. They are a quality product and will last you many years and miles.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Check out the Montague bikes. Much better than the "circus" bikes with little wheels.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Check out the Montague bikes. Much better than the "circus" bikes with little wheels.
Funny you should say that. We have a couple. My grandsons call them clown bikes, but they love 'em.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #11

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
I sort of like the idea of a bike on a boat but like it a lot better if it has a motor on it.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Take a look at Worksman Bikes. They're made in New York and they have some interesting designs. Year ago I had one of their folding bikes with a little gas engine on it. It was a lot of fun. Once I threw it in the back of my Cessna, flew to Key West and rode all over the place.
Cargo Bikes, Industrial Bicycles and Industrial Tricycles from Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store

They also make these.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

I bought one two years ago from these guys
ZoomBicycles Motorized Bicycles,80cc and 50cc Bicycle Engine Conversion Kits,Bicycle Motors,Bicycle Engine Kit Parts
It was cheap about $100.00 at the time and it worked well
The problem is that you get enhancements that are are made to go but no enhancements made to stop. A big guy on one of these can be scary. The simple brakes and steering on a basic bike were not made for 30 MPH .
Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

It has been years since we used bikes. When we did our youngest was small enough that we a trailer for her that was enclosed. The utility use we got from that was amazing. Groceries, laundry, shopping. If we take bikes, I think a trailer will come too.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
I've been using the Montague Paratrooper for about 2 years. Full size mountain bike, performs great on and off road. We folded 2 of 'em up and put them in our Mini Cooper for a 2 week road trip. Will be moving them on the boat this summer.
Folding Bikes and Accessories | Montague Bikes
Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River, BC
Vessel Name: Levada
Vessel Model: 1983 Formosa 42 Europa
We have a couple of 6-speed, 20"-wheel folders. My wife has a Dahon licenced knock-off (DAHON LICENSE TECHNOLOGY) and I have a Kettler Verso with wide knobby tires (VERSO TRANSPORT FLDG BIKE, 20" | bikes | unisex). They are on the boat in summer and go south with us to Arizona and Mexico in the winter. We store them folded in their nylon carry bags and have had no rust issues. My wife prefers her folder to her big bike and seems to go faster on it. I have no issues with mine but some times when we anchored out, it is a hassle to get them ashore for a limited ride. But if we at a dock, we ride for hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	25761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	25762  
Old 12-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
FF
Guru

One of the biggest advantages to a folding bike is a heavy chain and lock are not required at all times.

Many look like >girls< bikes and are shunned.

With little effort a folding cart can be towed , 2 propane bottles , a couple of cases of beer or bags of groceries , you choose.

With some time these can be found at tag sales , repaint with a rattle can PINK , or ours is aviation safety YELLOW , and no lock & chain need be carried at all!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Several threads on the topic in cruisersforum (sister site).

The best feature on our two folders (20" wheels) is the solid rear frame/axle... so a real load-bearing luggage rack can be fitted.

The worst feature is rust on some of the parts.

Some like lots of gears. Wifey has 3, uses 1. I have 8, probably use 4 mostly. OTOH, we're usually riding over fairly flat land.

-Chris
Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With little effort a folding cart can be towed , 2 propane bottles , a couple of cases of beer or bags of groceries , you choose.
!
If I get to choose, I choose the "beer"
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #20

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
When my wife and I had our first boat we bought two Dahon Mariners. Dahon is one of the largest folding bike manufactures so the price was reasonable. As well the Mariners are aluminum framed. What I noticed under our 200 lb body weight was that they flexed a good bit under strain. Not enough to make me not want to ride them but enough that I would only ride them on fairly flat conditions. ie A boardwalk, in town to run to get groceries, etc.
If I was to buy another folder, which I am considering, would be the Bike Friday Tikit. It is one of the best folders out there as far as I am concerned. I have talked to owners, nothing but raves. Best warranty out there and made here in the US. Second pick would be a Brompton.
Cheap bikes are just that, cheap. Not fun to ride, always need adjusting and plainly don't serve the purpose as most don't use them. Think of it as an extension to the boat, the great thing about folders you can take them with you in the car to work. I took mine to work, stored it in my office and road it during lunch.