Folding bicycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
We are just beginning our cruising adventures and thinking about bicycles. Any comments about folding bikes would be appreciated. Any ones to keep away from?
Thanks
Wally and Darcy

Wally & Darcy

... Folding bicycles and inflatable kayaks. That's the best way to exercise I cannot tell you about the bicycles because I am in Brazil, but if you ever consider a kayak, I strongly recommend the one below. I have one for 18 months now and it goes out in the sea every weekend. I use it with my wife, and my son uses it to help his surfing friends. It is still in very good shape
Sport Kayaks

We have a pair of Port Runners (West Marine). They're great for running up to the store or taking in some sights. We really enjoy ours.
Z

9k=

We cruised with our west marine bikes a year and they rusted in spite of everything being used to prevent the rust. I would not buy them again. My friends have Dahons and love them. Stay away from the 16 inch wheels if you have any hills. We now have full size Sun bikes and just load them up. They are no more storage trouble than anything else on the boat. We are in a prime area for biking now and love the full size bikes.
HTH,
S

My advice would be to spend the extra for the lightest you can get. I didn't and wish I had. If you're in salt water you need to keep that in mind when you choose. You may also want to consider standard size bikes if you have room (same advice as above). I don't think they weigh that much more. We found he mini bikes aren't that efficient with the smaller wheels and limited gearing. They also are a little wierd to ride until you get used to them. I love to ride but the small fold ups weren't that much fun for me.

Would love to have them and a place to store them.

I have heard many people that are dissatisfied with the smaller wheels many have.

Till I'm sure and try one out for a long spin and figure out where to keep them from rusting...a couple of used beach cruisers that rust out every year is my answer.

The poor mans folding bike is a kids banana bike sawed down the middle with some tubing to slip into the frame and hose clamps to hold it all together...have seen some nicely done ones and they have bigger wheels than the expensive folders.

Take a look at the ones from Bike Friday. Ask at your local bike shop. They are a quality product and will last you many years and miles.

I sort of like the idea of a bike on a boat but like it a lot better if it has a motor on it.

It has been years since we used bikes. When we did our youngest was small enough that we a trailer for her that was enclosed. The utility use we got from that was amazing. Groceries, laundry, shopping. If we take bikes, I think a trailer will come too.

I've been using the Montague Paratrooper for about 2 years. Full size mountain bike, performs great on and off road. We folded 2 of 'em up and put them in our Mini Cooper for a 2 week road trip. Will be moving them on the boat this summer.
Folding Bikes and Accessories | Montague Bikes

We have a couple of 6-speed, 20"-wheel folders. My wife has a Dahon licenced knock-off (DAHON LICENSE TECHNOLOGY) and I have a Kettler Verso with wide knobby tires (VERSO TRANSPORT FLDG BIKE, 20" | bikes | unisex). They are on the boat in summer and go south with us to Arizona and Mexico in the winter. We store them folded in their nylon carry bags and have had no rust issues. My wife prefers her folder to her big bike and seems to go faster on it. I have no issues with mine but some times when we anchored out, it is a hassle to get them ashore for a limited ride. But if we at a dock, we ride for hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 211
One of the biggest advantages to a folding bike is a heavy chain and lock are not required at all times.

Many look like >girls< bikes and are shunned.

With little effort a folding cart can be towed , 2 propane bottles , a couple of cases of beer or bags of groceries , you choose.

With some time these can be found at tag sales , repaint with a rattle can PINK , or ours is aviation safety YELLOW , and no lock & chain need be carried at all!

Several threads on the topic in cruisersforum (sister site).

The best feature on our two folders (20" wheels) is the solid rear frame/axle... so a real load-bearing luggage rack can be fitted.

The worst feature is rust on some of the parts.

Some like lots of gears. Wifey has 3, uses 1. I have 8, probably use 4 mostly. OTOH, we're usually riding over fairly flat land.

-Chris

Last edited:
When my wife and I had our first boat we bought two Dahon Mariners. Dahon is one of the largest folding bike manufactures so the price was reasonable. As well the Mariners are aluminum framed. What I noticed under our 200 lb body weight was that they flexed a good bit under strain. Not enough to make me not want to ride them but enough that I would only ride them on fairly flat conditions. ie A boardwalk, in town to run to get groceries, etc.
If I was to buy another folder, which I am considering, would be the Bike Friday Tikit. It is one of the best folders out there as far as I am concerned. I have talked to owners, nothing but raves. Best warranty out there and made here in the US. Second pick would be a Brompton.
Cheap bikes are just that, cheap. Not fun to ride, always need adjusting and plainly don't serve the purpose as most don't use them. Think of it as an extension to the boat, the great thing about folders you can take them with you in the car to work. I took mine to work, stored it in my office and road it during lunch.

When my wife and I had our first boat we bought two Dahon Mariners. Dahon is one of the largest folding bike manufactures so the price was reasonable. As well the Mariners are aluminum framed. What I noticed under our 200 lb body weight was that they flexed a good bit under strain. Not enough to make me not want to ride them but enough that I would only ride them on fairly flat conditions. ie A boardwalk, in town to run to get groceries, etc.
If I was to buy another folder, which I am considering, would be the Bike Friday Tikit. It is one of the best folders out there as far as I am concerned. I have talked to owners, nothing but raves. Best warranty out there and made here in the US. Second pick would be a Brompton.
Cheap bikes are just that, cheap. Not fun to ride, always need adjusting and plainly don't serve the purpose as most don't use them. Think of it as an extension to the boat, the great thing about folders you can take them with you in the car to work. I took mine to work, stored it in my office and road it during lunch.

In the cruising world I have found just the opposite...

The junkers with well oiled bearings get ridden all over, in the rain, left out, leaned against buidings with no locks...ect....etc...

The fancy, $600 bikes in their bags are neatly stowed away some place and the boater is afraid to get them dirty compared to the ones on deck taking salt spray but are handy at a moments notice.

Not saying nice bikes aren't a dream to ride...just that they don't suit everyone's boat or boating habits....

I have a thing for folding bikes and I have owned many. 20" wheels are a must. Also install a galvanized chain for much better service. For my money the Dahon Speed Pro, P8 and P7 are the best but they are pricey. Recently I bought a Citizen Gotham and I am very impressed for the modest price.

We rode our folding bikes extensively on the Great Loop. One is a Citizen and the other a Dahon, and both worked extremely well. I stored them in the engine room, so they were always clean and dry.

It is important to get the 7 speed versions, plus fenders and a rear rack for packages. The smaller wheels make the folded bike only 2 ft high, 2 ft wide, and 1 ft deep. When folded, they fit in the dinghy with plenty of room left for two people and things like groceries, and we took them folded on city busses as well.

We much preferred the smaller bikes for ease handling and riding in crowded or narrow places. I ride up to 100 mi a week on a road bike at home, and found these bikes natural to ride and fun to use. I often pulled a cart to the market and the smaller bike was easier to control while doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_4410 A.jpg
    IMG_4410 A.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4080 A.jpg
    IMG_4080 A.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 208
We wanted a tandem and did a lot of research including talking to some current owners; Bike Friday was the hands down winner.
Bill

Hi Wally, we're cruising to Brazil, but still in Puerto Rico. We have two folding bikes that we use all the time when we are in some port. Buy and you certainly will use.

I had an ancient all stainless Dahon that finally I sold this past summer. The rack on the back wasn't stainless and I'd replaced the chain with a stainless one but the doggone thing was heavy. Getting it into the dinghy and to shore became a problem and since I hadn't used it in 6 months I was fortunate to find a fellow whose eyes glowed at the stainless. Make sure whatever you pick is light enough that moving it won't be an issue. Mine rode like a champ (three speed, auto shift)

And, you can buy heavy duty tubes that last a lot longer than the cheap ones. Some of the larger sizes even come in foam though I didn't have that option when I replaced the tubes.

The idea of a bike was better than the reality though. I think if I was ever permanent I'd consider buying a dock bike, but for traveling? No. If the place is so far that a bike is required my get up and go would say "not today" and I'd either seek a car ride or pass. Are you a rider now? If not, I can't see you magically deciding to become one just because you cruise.

In my opinion that is.

Old thread I know,just my .02 cents worth.
We use a couple of Montague Paratrooper Pro's.
There are full size (26") bike that doesn't flex at all,so just like riding a normal mountain bike.
They fold up into a bag reasonably well,however a bit bigger than the little 20" bikes.
We use them a lot on dirt trails so a smaller folding bike won't cut it.
The frames are great,very stiff.I some of the attachments are a bit on the cheap side for bikes of this price.
Very happy on the whole.

We tried many bikes over the years and didn't like the weight or propensity for corrosion. We eventually bought two "Trek District" and love them. My 5' 2", 110lb. wife can carry both of them above shoulder height with one in each hand. They are carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum, but the best part is the drive system, the gears (pullies) are plastic and there is no chain, they are belt driven. There is nothing on these bikes to rust in the salt air.

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 652
  • trek belt.jpg
    trek belt.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom