Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Our adventurous friend Richard on Dauntless bought an electric bike while he was in Miami. He used it for serious transportation. I rode it around in my stores parking lot once and I was very impressed. Richard used it to travel some pretty long distances.
He once rode it from my store to Coconut Grove and back. I don't think I could have made the trip any faster in a car.

I wonder if he took it across the Atlantic with him?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Charleston to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Adirondack
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We have the newest West Marine design, the Bayside or something, a replacement for the Port Runner II (if you have one of these, take it to WM for a free exchange!). We used them a lot in the salt air and they held up well except for the chain. Buy a stainless chain now or later. We also had a couple custom covers made from Sunbrella that keeps some of the salt off. These are not as good as the Dahon or Bike Fridays, but a LOT cheaper.

jjanacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: S/V Frimi
Vessel Model: West Wight Potter
While I was in the navy, I bought one of these. It was great but being young and impetuous I was rolling down a long hill and failed to stop. I ran into a truck who was obeying the law and broke the handle bars, after that it was pretty useless as I tried various methods to fix short of buying new handle bars.

On my current boat I carry Roller skates which are fine for getting around, but it takes a while to build up the stamina for long distances. Plus carrying groceries back to the boat requires a back pack and limits the amount you should carry.

Skorpion™ Quadline® Street Skates | Skorpion Skates
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #44
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Lots of adds for ebikes these days. They seem reasonably priced, but I wonder if they hold up in a salt air environment. I still think the Montague bikes are heads and tails above the "circus" bikes like Dahon etc. Priority bikes looks promising as well (not folding), belt drive, aluminum frame and internal gear pack.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Palma
+1 On the Montagues. Pricey but good-I use their "paratrooper" version and it is one tough bike.
Jonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #46
Guru

City: Sydney
For some time I have owned a English made Titanium Brompton folding bike It is the very best folding bike on the market and I have traveled extensively around Japan and Asia with this bike It has the best folding mechanism of any folding bike and is so quick to fold up when needed . Must admit it was a bit expensive but it has never let me down over 1000s of miles

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #47

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Have been using folders for the 45+ years that we've been out cruising. I still have our original stainless steel 16" Dahons in the barn. The small folders are not ideal when biking long distances, so when we were sailing on our Island Packet 31, I bought a couple of cheap 24" bikes. Pull front wheels off and stored them in the 31s large cockpit locker. After getting tired of breaking down the bikes, went with all aluminum frame 26" folding Dahon Matrix. Great bikes and we still use them biking from home. When we moved to the Nordic Tug 10 years ago, could not easily get the Matrix bikes into the engine compartment, so I purchased a couple of 20" Dahon Mariners. Unlike the Matrix, the Mariner has a lot of "rustable" components, and frequent doses of WD40 are required.

Since we hang on a mooring and anchor out most of the time, getting bikes to shore is a hassle. Our bike riding on the boat has declined a bit (we're in our 70's). I usually leave the bikes on shore at our home boat yard, use them around the boat yard, and only take them on board when I know we will be going somewhere where we will take the bikes off for several days (Block Island, MV, Shelter Island, etc). Plus, in our old age, we've discovered shuttle buses (Duh). If you cruise the North and South Forks of Long Island, there are shuttle buses running from Orient Point, through Greenport, Riverhead, the "Hamptons", right out to Montauk (75 cents Senior rates!). And walking is still an option. Anchored out in either Montauk's South Lake or Block Island's Great Salt Pond, the wife would rather walk into town. We confine our bike riding to touring long distances at selective cruising spots.

Bottom line, bikes on board are a definite PLUS. As far as brands, we have 6 folding Dahons, the oldest pair are the stainless Dahons that are over 30 years old. and still useable. Prices today are pretty outrageous for quality folders. Our Dahon Matrix cost $500 each over 15 years ago, today $700. The Dahon Mariner is a $600 bike. Some people simply purchase a couple of cheapy Walmart 26" bikes, treating them as throw-aways. Break-em down by pulling off front wheel (quick release front wheels are best), and throw them away after a couple of years when they rust out.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
We scored a couple of AMC(Back Bay?) for $200 from West Marine. They are $400 bikes that were on sale for half off. I couldn't pass on the deal and have already used them quite a bit. So far so good but also have fairly low expectations at that price point.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #49
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
BTW , if anyone is interested we have to almost new Montagues that we could sell as we do not need them anymore.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We use Citizen "Tokyo", for $199 direct from Citizen. All aluminum, fold up easily and weigh 27 lbs (I think). They are not built for speed, but around large marinas and small towns....perfect and at the price, if they gets stolen (although we try remember to lock them), it's no big deal.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #51
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
We use Citizen "Tokyo", for $199 direct from Citizen. All aluminum, fold up easily and weigh 27 lbs .

Nice deal There!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
We scored a couple of AMC(Back Bay?) for $200 from West Marine. They are $400 bikes that were on sale for half off. I couldn't pass on the deal and have already used them quite a bit. So far so good but also have fairly low expectations at that price point.
We've had a couple of Dahon's bourht 7 years ago for $300 ea. We store them folded on the fly bridge forward of the couch, not outside. I lather them up with T-9 a couple of times a years. Still in good shape. Just used them yesterday.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #53
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
We bought 3 used Dahon Mariners on Craigs List for $150 total. New inner tubes for all and a little chain lube so they are good to go. Yes they are a little shakey but it beats walking. Caution that 20 inch Dahon rims had some issues being out-of-round. Check before buying.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #54

City: Middle River, MD
We're both tall, and the folding bikes we've tried wouldn't allow our legs to extend properly. Tried to get an extended seat post, but mechanics were off. Only advice is to sample a bike for longer than a few minutes.
truant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #55
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
I was sufficiently impressed with these: Downtube - Folding Bicycles for Sale that I imported one into Aust.: very light and efficient, 8 internal hub gears & a belt instead of a chain, so no messy/complex/hard to store sprockets or chain; various suspension (front or front+rear suspension) and gear options; great sale prices make them very competitive. I enjoy riding it around Sydney harbour foreshore parks/cycleways where we are berthed. Easy to get on and off the dock and up to the flybridge for longer-term storage, in a bag we had custom-made for it.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #56
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I was sufficiently impressed with these: Downtube - Folding Bicycles for Sale that I imported one into Aust.: very light and efficient, 8 internal hub gears & a belt instead of a chain, so no messy/complex/hard to store sprockets or chain; various suspension (front or front+rear suspension) and gear options; great sale prices make them very competitive. I enjoy riding it around Sydney harbour foreshore parks/cycleways where we are berthed. Easy to get on and off the dock and up to the flybridge for longer-term storage, in a bag we had custom-made for it.

I have a chain-type predecessor of one of those, with a bag direct from Downtube.

Decent bike, except for the bits that'll rust... which is mostly connection-related (e.g., seat post lock) or folding-related. One of the best features is NO rear suspension, which in turn means a decent load-bearing rack is possible. I think I might like a non-folding version, which would probably eliminate much of the pot-metal and mild steel.

The bag is only as good as its zipper... and it doesn't really seem to protect the bike from salt atmosphere. And it's made to cover the bike when folded, which means folding... which is often more trouble than it's worth. We've been planning to make a cover that encases the bike when fully assembled, with handlebars turns... but haven't pulled that off yet.

That said, T9 or CRC-656 all over the thing from time to time seems to help. Would have helped more if I'd been bright enough to start that from day one.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #57
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I was sufficiently impressed with these: Downtube - Folding Bicycles for Sale that I imported one into Aust.: very light and efficient, 8 internal hub gears & a belt instead of a chain,
Very cool bike for the Money!

Downtube 8H Shimano Nexus - Downtube
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #58

City: Washington, DC
We bring our Bike Friday folding bikes on board our Ranger Tug R-31 and usually leave them unfolded up on flybridge. They get more messy when folded but they do take up less room. I have samsonite suitcases that they fit in when traveling by air but it takes several minutes to reassemble. The Bike Friday bicycles are lightweight and I have completed triathlons and races on mine, in addition to riding many, many miles off the boat. I do have Brompton envy though. If money were no object, they fold the best - essentially into a neat cube-ish pkg.
CorTra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Noank
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Downtube - Great Experience

We purchased Downtube folding bikes 5 years ago. They have operated flawlessly since purchase and have held up well to the elements. They're really were an outstanding value.
AvalonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #60
Guru

City: Trenton
We just brought the bikes we already had: a Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Collegiate and a Huffy mountain bike. They rusted a little but they cleaned up afterward. Only used them a few times although they were great 'pack mules' for carrying laundry. At sea we kept them on the port side deck but in the canals and rivers they were up on the flybridge.

One night we stopped for dinner at a nice restaurant with a dock. It had signs posted all over saying "no overnight dockage". After dinner I asked the waitress if she would ask the owner if we could stay overnight at their dock. She came back and asked if we were "the boat with the bicycles?". When I answered yes, she said "then the owner welcomes you to spend the night".

That was the best use of the bicycles during the entire trip.

Further on we met a group of trawlers that were mourning their expensive stainless folding bicycles. They were stolen off their deck while they slept. No one ever bothered our two Schwinns and the Huffy. Jus' sayin'.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote