Flopper stoppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said, here (Australia) they are near $1000, $798 to be exact.
As for your comment on heavy duty permanent rigging, logic says that they are being used, hence the need for it.
Those tied to a marina berth have no need for it therefore, would have no need to have it installed.

Last edited:
I am also thinking about roll stabilisers for my GB46, as we anchor out a lot and some nights roll can be annoying. Have any of the other Grand Banks owners here installed them and, if so, any thoughts/tips/suggestions for Grand Banks specific installation would be gratefully received. Thanks, Hamish.

Like I said, here (Australia) they are near $1000, $798 to be exact.
As for your comment on heavy duty permanent rigging, logic says that they are being used, hence the need for it.
Those tied to a marina berth have no need for it therefore, would have no need to have it installed.

I didn't catch you were in OZ. :D

Logic doesn't really apply to much of how people rig their boats and really use them from what I've seen. But in OZ, it could be a different story.

Last edited:
I am also thinking about roll stabilisers for my GB46, as we anchor out a lot and some nights roll can be annoying. Have any of the other Grand Banks owners here installed them and, if so, any thoughts/tips/suggestions for Grand Banks specific installation would be gratefully received. Thanks, Hamish.

On my old 42' GB I used both the Davis cones and the Magma plates at different times with great success.

While I used them both with and with out poles and the worked in either case, the added leverage of the poles of course really helps make them more effective.

capt bill11,
Did you use two (2) ? as in one on each side of the boat ?.
I cannot imagine how only one would be very effective as in the Magma illustration.

I know some Sailboats in the Caribbean use only one connected to the boom and it seems to be very effective.

Photo courtesy of John_B from Woodenboat forum.

Attachments

• flopper.jpg
    flopper.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 328
I know some Sailboats in the Caribbean use only one connected to the boom and it seems to be very effective.

Photo courtesy of John_B from Woodenboat forum.

Because we suspend our dinghy out of the water each night on the port side (security) we only use our starboard side flopper stopper. Still quite effective.

If conditions are rough we may either lift the dinghy to the boat deck or trust because of the rough weather the thieves won't touch it locked to the stern. In either case we then use both flopper stoppers.

I think they are paravanes on the move with delta shaped fish.
The same poles become flopper stoppers when at anchor usually with a square shaped crate with flaps that open when the boat rolls and the crate drops.
As usual with boats there is quite a variety on offer.

I have two of the yellow framed units above. Worked great for many years but now plastic sheets are gone. I have been trying to find some sort of replacements with no luck. It needs to be thick without being stiff. It should not curl. I was able to reach the remnants of the manufacturer but they are out of business and could not guide me. Any suggestions?

I have the same plates. They were made in SoCal as I recall, near San Diego. I lost one at Cojo Anchorage beneath Pt Conception 20+ years ago and the guy was still making them so had it replaced.

If you're in SoCal, you may want to try Tap Plastics. If you manage to figure out a repair, please post an update. I may not be far behind you.

Peter

I have the same plates. They were made in SoCal as I recall, near San Diego. I lost one at Cojo Anchorage beneath Pt Conception 20+ years ago and the guy was still making them so had it replaced.

If you're in SoCal, you may want to try Tap Plastics. If you manage to figure out a repair, please post an update. I may not be far behind you.

Peter

Tap Plastic is in N. CAL. Funny when I last bought one I was able to contact the owner of the company in San Diego. He said he was out of the business but could probably scare up enough parts to make one more although his son might be taking over. I bought it and picked it up at his house. Recently I called the number I had for them and the son answered the phone while working at a different company. He said the best material they had used was rubber impregnated fabric. I found some neoprene material that sounded like it but it didn't quite seem thick enough. I looked at TAP and their low density poly propylene might work. I'd order some to try but they wanted $35 just to ship it. I'll keep looking locally.

Tap Plastic is in N. CAL. Funny when I last bought one I was able to contact the owner of the company in San Diego. He said he was out of the business but could probably scare up enough parts to make one more although his son might be taking over. I bought it and picked it up at his house. Recently I called the number I had for them and the son answered the phone while working at a different company. He said the best material they had used was rubber impregnated fabric. I found some neoprene material that sounded like it but it didn't quite seem thick enough. I looked at TAP and their low density poly propylene might work. I'd order some to try but they wanted $35 just to ship it. I'll keep looking locally.

Have you looked at McMaster-Carr for this? Their raw materials section is pretty diverse.

Back
Top Bottom