Old 08-29-2015, 04:07 AM   #21

City: Uk
Vessel Name: Kukare
Vessel Model: Heritage East
Thank you all for the information. I think I may have to get some. Has anyone got a heritage east sundeck 40 they have fitted then too

Kukaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:27 AM   #22

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
Fore spar flop per stoppers

We use the Forespar flopped stoppers, depending upon the roll in the anchorage we sometimes use 1 , if needed we deploy the other. We use 8mm non stretch lines on the system. We weigh 36 tonne and 57 foot long with a 5.2 metre beam. The poles are 4.2 metres long, so we take up about 15 metres in width. The Forespar system comes as a kit , with poles, fittings for each end and connection to the vessels, it also includes the stainless hinged flopped stoppers. They work extremely well stopping probably 80 % of the roll and really slows the motion up. They are fairly easy to install. The higher the rope attachments to the vessel above the outward poles the more effective they are, giving them greater leverage.
Happy we have them as part of our kit when needed.

Cheers Chris D LIberty 2015

Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Using a second anchor to slew the boat into the swells frequently works and is little effort and no cost.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #24

City: Uk
Vessel Name: Kukare
Vessel Model: Heritage East
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2015 View Post
We use the Forespar flopped stoppers, depending upon the roll in the anchorage we sometimes use 1 , if needed we deploy the other. We use 8mm non stretch lines on the system. We weigh 36 tonne and 57 foot long with a 5.2 metre beam. The poles are 4.2 metres long, so we take up about 15 metres in width. The Forespar system comes as a kit , with poles, fittings for each end and connection to the vessels, it also includes the stainless hinged flopped stoppers. They work extremely well stopping probably 80 % of the roll and really slows the motion up. They are fairly easy to install. The higher the rope attachments to the vessel above the outward poles the more effective they are, giving them greater leverage.
Happy we have them as part of our kit when needed.

Cheers Chris D LIberty 2015
I was looking at the forspar ones and was wondering did you have to put any reinforcing in where they were fitted. What sort of strain do they put on the boat where fittings are.
I am concerned that the strain maybe to much for my fiberglass flybridge.
Kukaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
If the underwater inspection on the new 60fter goes well I will look at doing a pre-emptive strike and make up a set.
Thinking a setup like pictured earlier,

but from 50mm ally tube.

The actual unit I was thinking of this type

as I have a selection of Aluminium Amplimesh security screens in the back shed that are marginally larger than the magma ones.
I also have several sheets of acrylic as used in kitchen splashbacks, so thinking that, the frames and some nylon but hinges will be an easy and affordable DIY arrangement.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #26

City: Sydney
Hey Simi 60,

An amusing follow up to my posting of my setup above-

I was told by the previous owner that he had designed and had fabricated the system himself.

Funnily enough, I found a photo of my boat's system in the real manufacturer's brochure.

Boat Stabilisers | Boat Stabilizers by Ocean Torque

They are well built and work well.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If the underwater inspection on the new 60fter goes well I will look at doing a pre-emptive strike and make up a set.
Thinking a setup like pictured earlier,

but from 50mm ally tube.

The actual unit I was thinking of this type

as I have a selection of Aluminium Amplimesh security screens in the back shed that are marginally larger than the magma ones.
I also have several sheets of acrylic as used in kitchen splashbacks, so thinking that, the frames and some nylon but hinges will be an easy and affordable DIY arrangement.

One of the nice things about the Magma plates is that the fold up, slip into a bag and are easy to store.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
One of the nice things about the Magma plates is that the fold up, slip into a bag and are easy to store.
One of the bad things about them is they cost close to $1000 here vs a few dollars for my DIY given I have it all laying around anyway.

As for storage, on those arms shown above its easy enough during fabrication stage to make a bracket on the arm that the flopper stopper can be stored in.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
One of the bad things about them is they cost close to $1000 here vs a few dollars for my DIY given I have it all laying around anyway.

As for storage, on those arms shown above its easy enough during fabrication stage to make a bracket on the arm that the flopper stopper can be stored in.
They are $320. But I was talking about their style, which is easy enough for someone to knock on their own, rather than suggesting that you buy them.

As to storage, personally I think all that heavy duty permanent rigging makes a pleasure boat look rather junky. And few rigged that way seemed to be used for any real passage making away.

But as always, YMMV.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #30
Guru

Like I said, here they are near $1000.
$798 to be exact
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...tAbsolutePage=
Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 AM   #31
Guru

Like I said, here (Australia) they are near $1000, $798 to be exact.
As for your comment on heavy duty permanent rigging, logic says that they are being used, hence the need for it.
Those tied to a marina berth have no need for it therefore, would have no need to have it installed.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
I am also thinking about roll stabilisers for my GB46, as we anchor out a lot and some nights roll can be annoying. Have any of the other Grand Banks owners here installed them and, if so, any thoughts/tips/suggestions for Grand Banks specific installation would be gratefully received. Thanks, Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Like I said, here (Australia) they are near $1000, $798 to be exact.
As for your comment on heavy duty permanent rigging, logic says that they are being used, hence the need for it.
Those tied to a marina berth have no need for it therefore, would have no need to have it installed.
I didn't catch you were in OZ.

Logic doesn't really apply to much of how people rig their boats and really use them from what I've seen. But in OZ, it could be a different story.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisHamish View Post
I am also thinking about roll stabilisers for my GB46, as we anchor out a lot and some nights roll can be annoying. Have any of the other Grand Banks owners here installed them and, if so, any thoughts/tips/suggestions for Grand Banks specific installation would be gratefully received. Thanks, Hamish.

On my old 42' GB I used both the Davis cones and the Magma plates at different times with great success.

While I used them both with and with out poles and the worked in either case, the added leverage of the poles of course really helps make them more effective.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #35

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
capt bill11,
Did you use two (2) ? as in one on each side of the boat ?.
I cannot imagine how only one would be very effective as in the Magma illustration.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #36

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
I know some Sailboats in the Caribbean use only one connected to the boom and it seems to be very effective.

Photo courtesy of John_B from Woodenboat forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flopper.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	53776  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #37
Guru

Yes, one on a boom or arm ie effective. But two on arms are even more effective.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
I know some Sailboats in the Caribbean use only one connected to the boom and it seems to be very effective.

Photo courtesy of John_B from Woodenboat forum.
Because we suspend our dinghy out of the water each night on the port side (security) we only use our starboard side flopper stopper. Still quite effective.

If conditions are rough we may either lift the dinghy to the boat deck or trust because of the rough weather the thieves won't touch it locked to the stern. In either case we then use both flopper stoppers.