Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

City: Seattle
Divorce Boat

Looks like the big D is headed my way and I'll be looikng for a new residence. I have always dreamed of living aboard, however impractical that seems. I have owned boats pretty much my whole life and currently own a 37' trawler. I will have two teenage kids every other week, so the current boat is way too small. Need min 3 staterooms, and as much space as I can afford. With the soft yacht market, I am giving this some serious thought. My fisrt choice would be a big Hatteras. There is a nice looking 58' LRC nearby that they keep dropping the price to where I could make it work. Looking to stay in the mid 300's. Have factored in moorage and maintenance. Anyone else done this, or do I need to be talked off this ledge? Any other boat suggestions?
Plaisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaisted View Post
Looks like the big D is headed my way ~~ Anyone else done this, or do I need to be talked off this ledge?
Yes, there have a been few up our way in this situation and from what I recall they all have been sunk without a boat so good move on your part to stay afloat. That ' D gravity ' got a lot of strength to pull anyone under. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Looks like the big D is headed my way and I'll be looikng for a new residence. I have always dreamed of living aboard, however impractical that seems. I have owned boats pretty much my whole life and currently own a 37' trawler. I will have two teenage kids every other week, so the current boat is way too small. Need min 3 staterooms, and as much space as I can afford. With the soft yacht market, I am giving this some serious thought. My fisrt choice would be a big Hatteras. There is a nice looking 58' LRC nearby that they keep dropping the price to where I could make it work. Looking to stay in the mid 300's. Have factored in moorage and maintenance. Anyone else done this, or do I need to be talked off this ledge? Any other boat suggestions?
Been there. done that....it's the reason I became a liveaboard!

First- I don't think there's any "ledge" to be talked off of if you're following your dream, and doing right by your children. However, know that you may be digging yourself a huge hole if you leap at the first opportunity for a large boat without doing your due diligence (but, that's not different from regular home ownership.)

I'll PM you more on what I went thru- as you say have a pending divorce, some (if not most) things are best not posted on a public board like this....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Looks like the big D is headed my way and I'll be looikng for a new residence.
Why? Is it a foregone conclusion that you give up the house? It's none of my business but I see this all the time and wonder why!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Hmmm... losing a wife and gaining a 58 Hatteras .... seems like a fair trade to me.
Whoops.... hope my admiral does not see this thread
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
They say that Connecticut is not a community property state, but I left the community and she got the property.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Why? Is it a foregone conclusion that you give up the house? It's none of my business but I see this all the time and wonder why!
She gets the house, I keep my business
Plaisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
She gets the house, I keep my business
Assuming your business is quite profitable....great trade!

I know money isn't the most important thing in the world but in my 72 years of experience, it's running a close second to what's ever in first place.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
FF
Guru

All of the old "motor yachts" that are big and can sort of plane with huge engines are no longer in much favor.

They still Bertram and Hat are excellent builds that should be priced right.

Operate at idle (make like a trawler at 6K) and the fuel bill will be far better than 1/4 mile per gallon.

You might see 2 mpg , but if thats just to find a live aboard slip, no problem.

If you are handy , start on the winter heat (about $10K) setup that will work for that size boat.

Lots here in the archives on system selection.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Power Boat Guide says, "A heavily built yacht designed for the rigors of extended passages, the Hatteras 58 LRC (Long Range Cruiser) is a true go anywhere cruising yacht of the first rank. She was the first of four subsequent Hatteras trawler-style yachts—the 42, 48, and 65 LRCs followed—built from the mid-1970s through the early 1980s. Still highly regarded on today’s secondary market (a total of 55 were built), the 58 LRC was built on a full-displacement hull weighing a dock-crunching 90,000 pounds. Her three-stateroom teak interior is arranged with a huge engineroom separating the staterooms on the lower level. The pilothouse—with direct flybridge access—is fully enclosed and private, and a breakfast bar separates the galley from the expansive salon. A stairway aft in the salon leads to the master stateroom and engineroom. The covered aft deck of the 58 LRC is large enough for comfortable entertaining (note that the aft deck on many 58s was fully enclosed), and a small cockpit makes boarding and exiting the boat very convenient. A true open-water yacht with transatlantic range, the Hatteras 58 LRC burns only 6 gph at 8 knots and 8–9 gph at her 9.5-knot hull speed with standard GM 4-71 diesels. Larger GM 6-71Ns were optional."

Doesn't sound like an old motor yacht with big engines that can sort of plane to me. The 58' LRC is a true passagemaker and a really well built boat. Still I think you pay a premium for the name and at 38 years of age you better plan on doing or paying for a lot of maintenance.

I'd start by listing what my basic gotta have requirements like are, i.e. 3 staterooms, ... and then start shopping for a boat that meets your needs. Do you really need a 90,000 lb passagemaker with 2,200 NM range? Are you planning long voyages? If you're running your own business can you get away from work long enough to make a 1,000 NM trip at 9.5 knots (4.5 days per 1,000 NM each way). If you don't need the LRC you can get the basic accommodations in another boat for less money or newer boat for the same money.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Re the Hatteras, our dock neighbor lives on his. At one pt it was the neighbor and his wife, dad and son. Dad has since died. They had plenty of room for everyone and it is a beautiful boat. They are dumping a ton of money into fixing it up but it is cosmetic stuff, the boat is rock solid. I'm sure you can easily find something to suit in your price range and I'd think the kids will be fine, if not enjoy it.

I'd agree there is no ledge you need to be talked off of. Good luck with the big D.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
How do the kids feel about the boat idea?
good luck to you either way
Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #13
FF
Guru

The 58' LRC is a true passagemaker and a really well built boat.

"Passagemaker" is usually defines as a boat that can cross OCEANS .

No ocean is 2200 miles wide.

Long along shore range , and robust build are only a portion of Passagemaking .

Why pay extra for a boat if its features will not be used?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Maybe this will come down in price:

1983 61' TOLLYCRAFT
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thinking about 3 stateroom boats, and a liveaboard you're describing the Bayliner 4788 and Meridian 490

The Bayliner 4788 is far and away the most popular, in terms of numbers produced pilothouse boat in the pacific northwest, and for good reason.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The Bayliner 4788 is far and away the most popular, in terms of numbers produced pilothouse boat in the pacific northwest, and for good reason.
I admit, It's one hell of a boat!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #17

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The 58' LRC is a true passagemaker and a really well built boat.

"Passagemaker" is usually defines as a boat that can cross OCEANS .

No ocean is 2200 miles wide.

Long along shore range , and robust build are only a portion of Passagemaking .

Why pay extra for a boat if its features will not be used?
It is true that many Oceans are larger than 2200 NM wide. However, nobody ever said you had to cross without refueling! Robert Beebe in his book "Voyaging Under Power" defined a true passagemaker as a motor boat that can make an open ocean passage sufficient to at least cross the smallest ocean, the Atlantic. The shortest route across is from Bermuda to the Azores; a distance of about 1,850 miles. To cross the largest Ocean, the Pacific, you must be able to travel the shortest route across, which is from San Francisco CA to Hilo HI, a distance of about 2019 NM. So a vessel with a range of 2200 NM with 30% reserve is not only a passagemaker, but it is capable of circumnavigating the planet.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
It is true that many Oceans are larger than 2200 NM wide. However, nobody ever said you had to cross without refueling! Robert Beebe in his book "Voyaging Under Power" defined a true passagemaker as a motor boat that can make an open ocean passage sufficient to at least cross the smallest ocean, the Atlantic. The shortest route across is from Bermuda to the Azores; a distance of about 1,850 miles. To cross the largest Ocean, the Pacific, you must be able to travel the shortest route across, which is from San Francisco CA to Hilo HI, a distance of about 2019 NM. So a vessel with a range of 2200 NM with 30% reserve is not only a passagemaker, but it is capable of circumnavigating the planet.
Its funny how people seem to forget those little trivia facts when discussing boat capabilities.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I admit, It's one hell of a boat!
The 4788/490 is of course not the end all do all of boating, but it does seem to fit all of the OP's criteria. It is a very comfortable boat for living aboard with its straignt hallway, and only four stair steps in any direction from the salon.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Hi
Sorry to hear your situation. You may wish to browse this company Certified Sales Inc - Liquidation Sales
They deal in repos, hurricane damage marshall seizures etc. I have bought boats from them and with a little work had great results, and made a few dollars etc. They currently have a 57 ft Pacemaker 1980 for 99K Code YS111025
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote