Dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikekomm

I'm planning on purchasing an 18" wide dishwasher for my Carver 4207. Anyone have any recommendations? Brands / models to avoid?

Some Asians are quite thin. Understand the women are very hard working. Not sure what the paperwork requirement is on purchasing and importing under the current administration. :rolleyes:

Ted

I installed a countertop dishwasher inside my cabinet and what I discovered is that most of the models out there had the same innards. Just different badging and cosmetics. Probably the same holds true for the 18" as they are made by the same manufacturers. And price wise, you pay more for add on features. The basic functionality is the same.
I love mine.

Some Asians are quite thin. Understand the women are very hard working. Not sure what the paperwork requirement is on purchasing and importing under the current administration. :rolleyes:

Ted

Can you.post a picture of a good.one? my experiences is. they work very well at first but after 2 years they often stop working altogether

A dishwasher on a boat? Definitely a yacht; not a mere boat.

Nah, we still call it a boat:

DSC_0422.JPG

Very handy item when you entertain a lot. Or are lazy/don't feel like doing the dishes. And essentially becomes another storage space.

This GE is 12 years old with about half of them full time live aboard. You hear some griping on the web about modern GE's, but then again it is the web. Bosch is almost always good stuff, a lot of it made here in New Bern, so you are still "buying American", kind of.

Might want to check with your marina concerning dish wash and food particle discharged. We have to fill out a multi form each year as to showers, washing machines, dish washers, brown water discharge and prove the black water/holding tank is pumped. Also water in the winter is limited, and many times the water is shut off for weeks.

We have a Bosch "1/2 size" built in d/washer. Has worked perfectly since installation in 2009. It is very water-efficient and when used on the "Light Soiling 45C" setting, is also very fast. No problem running it off a 3000W inverter....but to do this, plumb direct to hot water (ours in engine heated) so it doesn't use its own heater significantly to heat the wash water.

We have a Bosch "1/2 size" built in d/washer. Has worked perfectly since installation in 2009. It is very water-efficient and when used on the "Light Soiling 45C" setting, is also very fast. No problem running it off a 3000W inverter....but to do this, plumb direct to hot water (ours in engine heated) so it doesn't use its own heater significantly to heat the wash water.

So I take it you don't have it dry the dishes too? At least when on the inverter?

Might want to check with your marina concerning dish wash and food particle discharged. We have to fill out a multi form each year as to showers, washing machines, dish washers, brown water discharge and prove the black water/holding tank is pumped.

That sounds pretty intrusive to me. Probably enough to have me seriously looking for a different marina.

Might want to check with your marina concerning dish wash and food particle discharged. We have to fill out a multi form each year as to showers, washing machines, dish washers, brown water discharge and prove the black water/holding tank is pumped. Also water in the winter is limited, and many times the water is shut off for weeks.

So your marina thinks they can control your use of a dishwasher... or the sink for that matter?. Since when in Washington state is illegal to put bio degradables in the water?. What next no freshwater from washing the boat?.
HOLLYWOOD

I have seen folk using the Fisher & Paykel dish drawer model in boats. I think they are available in the US. On a boat, unless huge, one would just have the single drawer model, although they are available normally in a double (one above the other) arrangement, which is what we have at home here and we love it. Very frugal on water, and very quiet, (you can't hear it washing), and this configuration would be ideal on a boat, because there is no door sticking out to bark your shins on or fall over when filling or emptying. The pic might illustrate this point better, so I just shot out to the kitchen and took one with the iPhone - ain't technorridgy great..? (Note to jnall - misspelling deliberate).

Attachments

• Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 147
Actually a few places like Nantucket that will not allow grey water from dishwashers or washing machines to be disposed of in the harbor. Hope it's not a trend. A good reason to also have a grey water holding tank or to be able to route everything to your holding tank if required.

So your marina thinks they can control your use of a dishwasher... or the sink for that matter?. Since when in Washington state is illegal to put bio degradables in the water?. What next no freshwater from washing the boat?.
HOLLYWOOD

Amazing but true...I believe the clean water act also prohibits us from letting rainwater flow off our decks without some bureaucratic mumbo jumbo.

Fortunately some boat owning politicians created an amendment or separate act to exempt us...at least temporarily. Not sure if it allows further restriction by state or local governments or even businesses. NDZs seem to be an offshoot of the overall mentality which doesn't seem to be restricted too much as fast as large NDZs are being implemented and proposed.

_ _ _ help us if that legislation is ever overridden.

Fortunately too was BoatUS and it's lobbying power to help.

http://www.boatus.com/gov/pdf/BoatUSCommentsOnEPACleanBoatingActImplementation.pdf

About the Clean Boating Act | Clean Boating Act | US EPA

http://azbassfederation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/CleanWaterAct2008.pdf

ALEXANDRIA, VA, July 30, 2008
-- Aboard
Air Force One late yesterday, President
Bush signed S. 2766, “The Clean Boating
Act of 2008,” which permanently restores a
long-standing exemption for recreational
boats from permitting requirements under the
Clean Water Act. This signing of the bill is
the capstone moment of a two-year
campaign to eliminate an onerous permit
program for recreational boaters that would
have dictated maintenance and operation
procedures, potentially subjected boaters to
citizen lawsuits, and put recreational boats
under a penalty system designed for industrial polluters.

Last edited:
What's the difference between water from an automatic dishwasher and water from washing dishes manually?

Why is it you can cut up a fish and throw it overboard and it's considered "bait" or "chum" but if you take a couple bites out of it first it's considered "food waste" and cannot be legally dumped overboard?

If a marina requires you to prove that you've had your holding tank pumped, do they also require you to keep a log of times "pooped" so they will kow if you've had the tank pumped often enough?

Please Ron, don't try and use common sense in this argument.....

We love our Miele 18 inch. Very efficient water use, extremely quiet and energy efficient.

The concept of a dishwasher on a boat (yacht) is so foreign to me... I must be REALLY REALLY roughing it! Only in America! :rolleyes:

Being a live aboard, we follow the marina rules/regulations. :angel: Dish washers are frowned on, probable because dirt people do not wipe/pre clean the dishes. Where as in a marina its recommend to wipe/pre clean food from the dish before, and dish washing soap is not biodegradable. Is the non live a boards dirt boaters that usually do not follow the rules but its us live a boards that pay the consequences. :banghead: Our feeling if you are going to pre wipe/clean the dishes might as well use paper dishes and throw them away. :thumb:

Again, live a boards have to prove/show they been pump out on a regular bases as we use the boat 365 days per year. Non live aboard probable not so much, but they still have to put some answer. 19 years and I only actually myself pump out the boat 3 times. Yuk! :eek: Much easier to pay $15.00/pump out and have it done weekly. :flowers:

I have a dishwasher on my boat. She cleans as well and sometimes she drives the boat. And I sleep with her at night. ;)

"And I sleep with her at night. ;) "

Maybe not tonight Ron....:)

We had the choice of a trash compactor or a dish washer and the compactor has won out so far. For me I would like both.

The German mark Miele is very expensive but you get what you pay for, personally I think an Asian lady would be would be much more 'versatile' than just doing dishes.

I would check consumer reports as some of the DW are LOUD!!!

Last thing you need on a boat is sounds like a garbage truck loading.

I can not recommend a dishwasher but if I had room for one I would install it. I have no problem with the laws concerning holding tank usage, I support them. However, I think regulation gray water and food waste is going too far. Food is biodegradable and when environmentally soap is used gray water is no danger. What next we have to verify we use environmentally soap to be allowed to wash the boat?

We have a Bosch 18", but not that particular model with an LCD screen. We've had ours since 2009 and I can highly recommend it: quiet, water- and energy-efficient & if used on the 45C 'Quick' cycle, it is just that, completely the job in about 25 minutes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom