Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical One View Post
To BandB…how would you know about Captain Pierce's dining habits?
!
I wouldn't. I didn't say anything about his dining habits. I did talk about "the person who" on several things.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
The trouble is as you said BandB, a lot of folks try to live the same way in both, if they have a home and a yacht.

PS The Swiss/German Miele company does make wonderful products! !
I see nothing wrong with that. We eat on the boat a lot, we use lots of dishes, we like a dishwasher. Dinner last night was 8 people. And we have Miele. Oh and we also have a compactor.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
You're a good man MarkPierce! To BandB…how would you know about Captain Pierce's dining habits?
Some folks, such as myself, cook and clean up the old fashioned way. And I would put my cooking skills up against anyone! Some old salts used to drag their dishes behind the boat in a mesh bag.
My outdoor life is different from my home life. Otherwise, what would be the fun of it? Who needs a floating house? I could see a dishwasher in a year round live aboard I guess. The trouble is as you said BandB, a lot of folks try to live the same way in both, if they have a home and a yacht.

PS The Swiss/German Miele company does make wonderful products! Sehr Gut!!!
There's no trouble at all...living on a boat like you would at home...

I have done my share of primitive camping and survival schools...fun for short stretches...and when I want to.

At least you said a liveaboard has earned the right to have a dishwasher...

with thinking like that none of us should have anything bigger than a kayak.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I see nothing wrong with that. We eat on the boat a lot, we use lots of dishes, we like a dishwasher. Dinner last night was 8 people. And we have Miele. Oh and we also have a compactor.
Yes, Band B & Wifey, please stick up there more details re your vessel size, type etc, and some pics please. You seem to have escaped censure on this. (friendly censure, I hasten to add)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #45

City: Camden, NC
Vessel Name: Dream Seaker
Vessel Model: Thompson Trawlers 51
To wash or not to wash (by hand)…

Just proves a lot of our choices on our boats are really consistent with our land choices. The person who eats out a lot at home, will when cruising.
I was just refering to these lines, BandB. Dinner for 8 sounds nice!

psneeld, I do not think folks should have nothing bigger than a kayak. I am a water woman, but the one thing I don't really like is kayaking and canoeing. Surfing, SUP, Sailing, and swimming and heading out on the Trawler. For now the Trawler is our weekend home. BTW I prefer reading to TV on weekends. LOL

I do see in the pictures that many folks have small sinks, so it is difficult to do dishes with that. That is what I find tough on our other boat. Our trawler has a double stainless steel sink in the galley.

caltexflanc, I didn't know Bosch was made in New Bern. Another good one! I think that if we live aboard again, we will have to look at the trash thing too. The garbage over flow at the marina is ridiculous, not to mention the problem when at sea. I find it crazy about the gray water thing. As one person said, shum isn't garbage, but a piece of left over fish is??? The other thing someone said is that Automatic DW soaps isn't bio-degradable, but I know that there ARE bio-d automatic DW soaps. I have used them at the house. So what are we to do???
Nautical One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
it's not about small sinks...it's about convenience.

you missed my point about kayaks...

living on a boat is special to different people in different ways.

some like me live aboard for a variety of reasons and all the comforts of home mean they are on my boat.

only physical limitations of the boat limit what I have on board when it comes to what the average American has in a dirt dwelling.

I don't see that as ANY kind of problem....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #47
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Nautical One, we're old fashioned too and on our boat whoever cooks doesn't get to do the dishes.
Bosch is a very good make, Miele although expensive are the best of the best and worth every penny.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #48

City: Camden, NC
Vessel Name: Dream Seaker
Vessel Model: Thompson Trawlers 51
Der beste Geschirrspuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Nautical One, we're old fashioned too and on our boat whoever cooks doesn't get to do the dishes.
Bosch is a very good make, Miele although expensive are the best of the best and worth every penny.
I like that, and that is the right way to do things! A book my sons had on manners said that the cook shouldn't do all the clean-up work too. Cute!
I really don't mind doing both most of the time, because there are many things my hubby does that I can't do on the boat. I am more of a paint scraping and painting laying Bosun. My father would be proud of my mending skills too. LOL If only some of these folks would have used the correct thread for on a boat. arg!

Thanks for the brand advice.

PS How is France???
Nautical One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #49
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Nautical One. I'm afraid it was drilled into me as a young 'un that manners maketh man, ne'er cloth nor gold and like all good teaching it stuck.
I'm uncomfortable with people who don't open doors for lady's or have no table manners and respect. I'm not at all grumpy and love a bit of 'craic' an Irish term for good fun (not the chemical variety) nice people, a few drinks and lots of jokes.
France is lovely and large enough to have variety to suit all tastes, the French beaurocracy and politicians are another matter entirely and would make a saint swear at times.
If you have any specific questions or queries I'll be happy to help.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #50
FF
Guru

Consumer Reports just tested DW.

Many require almost 2 hours !!! , thats a lot of noisemaker time and fuel for a 10 min hand job.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #51
Veteran Member

City: niagara falls ny
Vessel Name: cambria lady
Vessel Model: 1988 Chris 501
dishwasher/gray water

It's interesting to hear the left coast complain about " over regulating" by the EPA, after all the spotted owl/smelt causes that started there. It's even more interesting to note that, Art Robinson, a brilliant scientist, the man who is "credited" with starting the EPA in 1971, now says the EPA must be closed/defunded and all turned over to the states, because of over regulating. It is the EPA that is causing all the environmental issues, including boat regulations . I don't believe for one minute that discharging gray water is harmful to anything. I don't mean toilet waste water . 99% of that dishwater ,shower water is biodegradable, as is toilet waste. The toilet waste takes too long to break down so it must be processed. Write your representatives. Boating has a very small voice these days but the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Cambria Lady
cambria lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #52
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria lady View Post
It's interesting to hear the left coast complain about " over regulating" by the EPA, after all the spotted owl/smelt causes that started there. It's even more interesting to note that, Art Robinson, a brilliant scientist, the man who is "credited" with starting the EPA in 1971, now says the EPA must be closed/defunded and all turned over to the states, because of over regulating. It is the EPA that is causing all the environmental issues, including boat regulations . I don't believe for one minute that discharging gray water is harmful to anything. I don't mean toilet waste water . 99% of that dishwater ,shower water is biodegradable, as is toilet waste. The toilet waste takes too long to break down so it must be processed. Write your representatives. Boating has a very small voice these days but the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Cambria Lady
If you don't think the delta smelt issue is a big deal you are uninformed.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: niagara falls ny
Vessel Name: cambria lady
Vessel Model: 1988 Chris 501
dishwasher/gray water

Bligh, Thanks for the reply. You're probably right about being misinformed but if I knew nothing and someone gave me a survival question and said choose between the Great bear and man; or between the spotted owl and man; or the delta smelt and man; or the manatee and man : I would in each case make the uninformed decision and choose "man", knowing nothing more. What would you pick? Cambria Lady
cambria lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #54
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
This may be the first ever dishwasher thread in the history of Trawler Forum to get booted into OTDE because of politics. It'd be a shame to see that happen

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #55
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
This may be the first ever dishwasher thread in the history of Trawler Forum to get booted into OTDE because of politics. It'd be a shame to see that happen
Unfortunately, politics invades our every day lives and boating in particular. We have no-discharge zones because of politics. We have boat taxes because of politics. We have no wake zones because of politics. Politics controls our choices in bottom paint.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #56
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Dishwasher

Quote:

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #57
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Unfortunately, politics invades our every day lives and boating in particular. We have no-discharge zones because of politics. We have boat taxes because of politics. We have no wake zones because of politics. Politics controls our choices in bottom paint.
Be that as it may I happen to know for a fact that there are over 240,000 individual posts on this forum alone without politics mentioned in them. If you wish to discuss politics feel free to go to OTDE or some other forum that encourages it because the overwhelming majority of Trawler Forum members have spoken loud and clear that they do not welcome it here.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #58
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
As a follow up (I know I'm a little late) we miss measured and actually can't fit a DW, so yeah.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #59
FF
Guru

Search the mfg literature before purchase to find out what is required to winterize the unit .

Some might be easier than others.

The most modern clothes washers and dish washers have computers that might not like an inverter , and most require a very long time for the operation.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #60
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Be that as it may I happen to know for a fact that there are over 240,000 individual posts on this forum alone without politics mentioned in them. If you wish to discuss politics feel free to go to OTDE or some other forum that encourages it because the overwhelming majority of Trawler Forum members have spoken loud and clear that they do not welcome it here.
I don't wish to discuss politics.

My point is, when there is a discussion of boating regulations, no discharge laws, fuel costs, etc., "politics" is involved.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote