Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
If you look up this issue in consumer reports, you will learn that products containing the highest amounts of deet work best. When I was in the army, many swore by skin so soft. It was often rumored that Rangers and special forces use this. Consumer reports found that skin so soft has almost 0 effect on mosquitoes and gnats.
When I lived in FLA, I spent quite a bit of time in the Everglades and other swamp land. Skin so Soft in no way repelled any biting bug. I was in one management area one night feeding mosquitoes and regular Off with some DEET was only sorta effective. One guy had some bug spray that kept the mosquitoes completely at bay. I suspect it had 100% DEET.

For repelling biting bugs I use either DEET, higher percentage if the bugs are really bad, or Permethrin(But only sprayed/soaked on clothes, not on the skin).

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #22

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
I had a fishing guide I used to camp with down in the Everglades and he had 100% deet wipes. That worked very well. I don’t think I’d want use it regularly though.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
We have them bad here. Deet is the stuff. . The only way SSS works, is to put so much on that they drown when they land on you.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Try hanging a fly strip or two. It that fails, wear one around your neck.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #25
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
In the right situation, an electric fan is cheap and effective at keeping no see ums away.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Bounce dryer anti-static sheets work fine on the Texas coast where the no-see-ums can fly thru a screen by just momentarily folding their wings in flight. I just stick one in my shirt pocket while on deck. At night we pin a sheet to each port screen and spray a high deet repellent around the cracks in the doors where they will try to sneak in......if you dont mind smelling like a French prostitute. Not that I know how that smells.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
In our area, Moreton Bay Queensland, Australia, those combined ultraviolet and electrical insect zap things seem to work quite well. There are 12v versions, and also AC as well. At least that is one potentially toxic chemical-free way of doing it.

However, spraying the screens you use with a decent surface type bug spray also helps a lot in keeping the tiny midges that can get through at bay.
Or so we were told by the security screen folk at a home show we attended just last weekend, when I queried the size of the holes in some of the better security screens that looked a bit large.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
Guru

The bug zappers are probably worse for you than the chemicals. When the bug explodes,all the bacteria in and on the bug are sprayed about the area. after reading about this test, I decided I would rather eat one or two of them occasionally rather than have their guts sprayed about my bar b que area.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I would think that any bug that is instantly heated enough to explode would either be cooked through or the high temp would also kill any bacteria present. Any small bug that is cooked probably is just incinerated.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
The bug zappers are probably worse for you than the chemicals. When the bug explodes,all the bacteria in and on the bug are sprayed about the area. after reading about this test, I decided I would rather eat one or two of them occasionally rather than have their guts sprayed about my bar b que area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I would think that any bug that is instantly heated enough to explode would either be cooked through or the high temp would also kill any bacteria present. Any small bug that is cooked probably is just incinerated.
Yes, I agree - anyway, just think of it if ingested as extra protein...
I remember one time doing the Nancy's Peak walk over in West Australia, the place being legend for its summer fly infestation. My wife swallowed about 8 of the things that flew in her mouth or up her nose. That's what I advised her - just think of it as extra protein. Didn't cause her any trouble at all.
My moustach appeared to protect me - never got to taste even one.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #31
Guru

The study I read dealt with mosquitoes and they found all sorts of nasty bacteria all over the area and they suggested having one near your BBQ was a very unhealthy idea. Yes, I would think they would be cooked, but then I didnt do the study and they did I am not a Medical Doctor, they were. Also, I have read that bacteria survive traveling thru space and entering earths atmosphere riding on a meteorite. But do as you wish, for me, I will avoid zappers.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Keeping my boat currently in the Merrimack river I can empathize and agree that if something repels Greenheads, it must be good. Repelling Greenheads usually requires some pretty serious DEET. For those unfamiliar with the area "Greenheads" are a type of horsefly that thrive in marshes.

Ken
And on human flesh & blood
Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
The object of a bug zapper is to draw them away from humans and then kill them.
Put the bug zapper a safe distance from humans
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
For outdoor activities, both weather and insects heavily influenced my timing and location. And don't forget sunscreen and repellent.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #35
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Again, consumer reports to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Bug zappers don’t kill mosquitos and gnats. Blood suckers are not attracted to light, but to heat, body odor and CO2 that is given off by animals. Bug zappers kill all sorts of bugs that generally are not a nuisance, I.e. moths.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #36

City: Alexander
Thirty WT motor oil.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I use Permethrin, and works great for a number of things, including no-see-ums.

Will take some on the boat for trips and here's how it's used.

First, spray most everything with it. Have the right solution depending on the concentrate you buy. I always buy the 36.8%, better value and mix 3 fl. oz. per gallon of water for hand spraying.

With this solution, I'll spray everything on the boat, except:
In cabinets where there is food or dishes, electronics or electrical stuff, anything metal (as it will corrode). But primarily spray the floor, curtains, wood, screens and doors. If you hit the window it will wipe off easy. However, don't need to be aggressive inside unless the doors and windows are open without screens.

On the exterior, I'd spray the walkways, sides, canvas (but not eisenglass).

You can also treat your clothes to may them insect resistant and works well and easy. I cut the mixture in half. Mix up a gallon or so, soak the cloths int he gallon, wring out and hang on a hanger to dry. Works well.

Note: When Permethrin is wet, it is toxic, when dry it's fine. It will harm your pets when wet, but generally not plants or some animals, like farm ones (but we don't have a lot of cows and horses on the boat).

This is my number one product for pest control, and will do most everything from no see ums, to flies, misquotes, fleas, etc.

However, my no. 2 choice is a deet product which one can put on their skin, which is very effective, but messy.

CAUTION: Do your own do diligence with this stuff, or any pest control product. Google it, there's tons of info out there.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #38
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Arrived in Charleston the other week. The no-see-ums are crazy. We were covered head to toe. And that is with using high content deet bug spray. I guess we should try Permethrin but that can't go on our skin??
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #39

City: Fort pierce, fl
sawyer products picaridin 20%...avail at bass pro works pretty good for mosquitos and flies...but works amazingly well on no see ums..and is non-greasy..non staining and odorless... ditto to the permethrin treatments as described above...
Vecuronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #40

City: Denver, CO
Vessel Name: 2thDoc
Vessel Model: 1986 Carver 3607 ACMY
Once bitten, this is THE stuff to let you sleep. Bite & Itch Lotion. Island Pharmacy 2330 Palm Ridge Rd. #12 Sanibel, FL 33957 1-239-472-6188. 4 Fl Oz. bottle. They will ship. Has a topical steroid & a topical anesthetic. You can feel your skin becoming numb. It stops the itching so you can sleep & prevents scratching 'til you bleed. Been there, done that.
racerrick is offline   Reply With Quote