Old 06-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

City: grand rapids
Couple looking for live-aboard rental

Hello,

My fiance and I will be heading to Florida for a honeymoon sometime in September Mid-Late. We will be staying in Lauderdale-by-the-sea, FL for around 2 weeks during that time. We would like to see if there is any possible way for us to stay on a trawler 34 - 38 feet for roughly a week after our stay in the cottage. I've never been on, or piloted a boat that size, and was thinking more that we would just see how we fared living on one while docked.

Is this un-herd of? I'd rather not spend thousands of dollars chartering a boat, and instead would like to see if there is anyone out there willing to "rent" their trawler for a week or two. If possible, give us some private lessons. We've been toying with the idea of renting the house and buying a live-aboard, however I really want to "test" this dream first. In the least, maybe get a tour of some boats and see if anyone would be interested to let us join them for a day or two as guests.

I'd imagine this sounds crazy to some, but I figured I'd as!
Thanks,
--Joel

freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
You might try this:

https://boatbound.co

Others to consider... BoatSetter, Cruzin and GetMyBoat.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

City: grand rapids
Thanks!
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
keb

City: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Hello,

My fiance and I will be heading to Florida for a honeymoon sometime in September Mid-Late. We will be staying in Lauderdale-by-the-sea, FL for around 2 weeks during that time. We would like to see if there is any possible way for us to stay on a trawler 34 - 38 feet for roughly a week after our stay in the cottage. I've never been on, or piloted a boat that size, and was thinking more that we would just see how we fared living on one while docked.

Is this un-herd of? I'd rather not spend thousands of dollars chartering a boat, and instead would like to see if there is anyone out there willing to "rent" their trawler for a week or two. If possible, give us some private lessons. We've been toying with the idea of renting the house and buying a live-aboard, however I really want to "test" this dream first. In the least, maybe get a tour of some boats and see if anyone would be interested to let us join them for a day or two as guests.

I'd imagine this sounds crazy to some, but I figured I'd as!
Thanks,
--Joel

Also try Homeaway.com as I have seen several boat owners list their boats as sleep aboard alternatives to hotels. I have also seem them on airbnb.com.

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Boynton Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Also try Homeaway.com as I have seen several boat owners list their boats as sleep aboard alternatives to hotels. I have also seem them on airbnb.com.

Kevin
Portland, OR
Wow, AirBnB!? I thought of doing that as well but I figured AirBnB would not cover the insurance for that... interesting!
Thanks for the suggestion.
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote