Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

City: World
Considering Cats

We will be acquiring a full time cruising boat in the 44’ range in the next 9 months.

We think we like the catamaran layout and operation. This was determined from a charter and some Airbnb time.

FL is fine for cats like an Endeavour 44 but how is the rest of the loop and destinations north like Great Lakes?

My main concern are things like emergency haul outs and marina space with a 19’ beam. We will be at marinas at least 4x month so it will be a serious consideration.

Tell me the reality of looping in a big cat.

Thanks
E-
EdSpiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Thanks RT. I’ve been lurking a while.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshkc View Post
We will be acquiring a full time cruising boat in the 44’ range in the next 9 months.

We think we like the catamaran layout and operation. This was determined from a charter and some Airbnb time.

FL is fine for cats like an Endeavour 44 but how is the rest of the loop and destinations north like Great Lakes?

My main concern are things like emergency haul outs and marina space with a 19’ beam. We will be at marinas at least 4x month so it will be a serious consideration.

Tell me the reality of looping in a big cat.

Thanks
E-
E-

We have seen many cats on our recent loop trip. Yes, a 19ft beam will be a problem in many marinas, but most owners seem to get by. Often you can request a side tie and get accommodated. Locks will not be an issue, even the small ones.

And for a loop trip, 4x a month at marina is VERY LITTLE, as most stay at marinas a LOT more, even the die hard anchor crowd.

You might not want to cut thru Canoe Channel, outside of Perry Sound, but you'll have hundreds of good anchorages. You will have some issues on the "one boat at a time" channels in the Trent. You'll need to make a securite call to be sure you don't meet another boat head on, or someone may be backing out. But doable.

Seems like the folks that have cats love them.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Welcome. A good friend sold their Nordhavn for a 44 Endeavor and they loved it. She never said they had issues with haulouts but did mention the additional slip fees and sometime the avaiablity of a slip because of the beam. The marina she was last in charged 1.5 times the monohull rate.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Welcome. A good friend sold their Nordhavn for a 44 Endeavor and they loved it. She never said they had issues with haulouts but did mention the additional slip fees and sometime the avaiablity of a slip because of the beam. The marina she was last in charged 1.5 times the monohull rate.

We strongly considered an Endeavour 44 about 4 years ago and decided against it when we called a local marina and found that the beam dictated a slip for a 60' boat and they would charge the 60' rate.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

Donsan

What pushed you to consider the Endeavour?

Why else did you avoid it?

-E-
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
What pushed you to consider the Endeavour?
It was very roomy and this particular Endeavour had a walk around king size bed. We felt very comfortable on it. It was just a great turn key boat for livability and the price for this late model boat was very reasonable at the time. It felt more like an apartment than a boat. I also liked having a single helm. Having keel protected props and reasonable draft was also a plus as well as good fuel economy for twin engines.

Quote:
Why else did you avoid it?
True confession - I felt somewhat intimidated by the almost 20' bow and if I recall, it did not have thrusters. It would have been our first big boat. I also wasn't that keen on having the engines under guest and crew berths. We also wanted to do the loop and perhaps mistakenly, thought the beam would cause too many challenges.

But, to this day, I regret not buying that boat.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

Donsan
We are in a similar situation.

First big boat with little experience and worried about that wide beam in narrow waterways.

Your input is valuable. Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. I wouldn’t be concerned about handling in narrow areas since the engines are so widely spaced it will turn on a dime. A bigger concern would be the haul out and dockage issues. The last lock on the TSW going into Georgian Bay is pretty small. Don’t know what beam it can accommodate but you might call them and ask.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
As a transient on the loop, you won't generally be in a slip but on an side tie and the beam won't impact you most of the time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I've seen Endeavorcat 44s on the western Erie Canal and the Trent Severn. They look like great loop boats.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
My boat had no problem at all around the loop at a 17' beam. As B&B said most transient dockage tends to be side tie and I prefer that. The only time the 1.5 surcharge came up was at Liberty Landing( I argued and won, didn't have to pay it). Trent Severn was no problem at all, don't miss it. The lower air draft should be able to do the Western Erie.
I think the Endeavor is a fine choice.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #14

Cat Daddy,
That is great to hear.

Have you had to get any haul-outs in areas where cats are not as common?

Any issues?

-E-
Old 12-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Cat Daddy,
That is great to hear.

Have you had to get any haul-outs in areas where cats are not as common?

Any issues?

-E-
I actually saw a CAT hauled out in Sandusky. The owner of the CAT was worried they couldn't do it. Pontoons are big there and they did it on a pontoon trailer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #16

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I think I have hauled in four different locations; FL(2), VA, & TX. Hasn't been a problem so far. I'm sure there are places where a wider lift may not be common, but can apply to all sorts of issues. I wouldn't worry much about it. I think the pros far outweigh the cons for cats, but that's me.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #17

Cat Daddy,
That is good to hear.

After we sell a couple of houses the search will begin!

-E-
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
-E-,

We are still a few years out with kids in school but i've been doing lots of reading etc about the loop and boats in general. CaptainJohn.org has good info about max size in some lifts and max air draft needed. It'll give you an idea of the specs you need. Hope this helps....

Keith
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #19

Thanks Keith

I’ve been lurking enough to know that Capt John’s ideas about boats for the loop would push me into a life of loneliness and child support. Lol

That said I will check it out as a resource.

Hearing from folks that run cats has really helped set our decisions to get one.

We have a 5yr old that we will home school. Checking out those options now.

We are committed to two years of full time cruising. No telling after that.

Good luck.

-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Nauti View Post
-E-,

We are still a few years out with kids in school but i've been doing lots of reading etc about the loop and boats in general. CaptainJohn.org has good info about max size in some lifts and max air draft needed. It'll give you an idea of the specs you need. Hope this helps....

Keith
Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
My wife would not last to long in one of his boats either! She's all for fun and adventure but not camping!

Also, wrt homeschooling, there was a couple about 18 months ago that finished the loop while homeschooling. They are on the Great Loop Cruisers Assoc. We are also starting home school in Jan with my 11th grader. Should be fun!
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote