Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

We chose a CPMY for many of the reasons discussed. Started out looking for a 36' Sedan with twins, 2 1/2 year later ended up with a 46' CPMY with a single. I tried to attach pictures for the first time. Hopefully they loaded, because they show why we wanted a cockpit.
Lyle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	September Vacation 2010 143.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	28572   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130910_125715.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	28573  

Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
IMG, this is "all I've got" (and have no dogs onboard);

Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
I can't recall seeing one with access from the aft cabin that does not also have an exterior ladder. And aft cabin access tends to be in the 50+' range. I've attached some photos of our 44' Ocean Alexander sundeck/cockpit, which utilizes a short ladder (only) from the cockpit to the sundeck. On the Great Lakes it's common to see both floating and fixed height docks. The cockpit provides safe boarding both from low docks and a dinghy....and great for taking the dog ashore from an anchorage. Also makes line handling easier in locks, for example. Boarding from low docks would be a real chore without the cockpit.

We're summer live-aboards and would not own another configuration. Best of all worlds...if you don't mind a few steps between levels. Nieces and nephews fish from the cockpit...and it's also a good storage area for bikes, etc.

Attachment 28407

Attachment 28408

Attachment 28409

Attachment 28410
Nice Vessel!

I am all about a cockpit Motor Yacht. That is what my search is centered around. To get a feel for what we want, I chartered A Jefferson 42 and a Selene 53. Dollar wise they don't compare but that gave us a Pilothouse amidship Cabin and a aft cabin with only a swim platform. In Florida stern too with no finger piers you are down a ladder to the swim platform and up a ladder to the aft deck, or jump , Bags, groceries, drinks, need I say more.

Large aft deck for outdoor seating, Cockpit for "Half way" boarding and dingy launching. Close the door to the aft stateroom and traffic will go thru the aft deck.
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Nice!!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
One of the things I prefer on a Sedan over a CPMY is the lack of steps. As I get older and the legs/knees/ankles/feet seem to be less tolerant of steps, I like the concept of one level all the way from the cockpit through the salon and into the galley. That was a MUST HAVE thing when we were looking for a boat.

Our cockpit and swim platform allow lots of room to move around, fish from, sunbathe on or just relax....and no steps.

I guess that's why the make many different styles of boats....we all have our preferences. Part of the fun of shopping for a boat is being able to go aboard many different designs and seeing which work best for us.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Sacramento Delta
I choose my ACMY for some of the same reasons as others. Coming from a sailboat, once I saw a beam to beam aft stateroom with a walk around queen size bed I knew I didn't want to sleep in the bow again.

One of my big reasons for a cockpit was for safety. Since we are in warm, fresh water we enjoy being in the water. What happens if someone gets injured on the water? On some of the boats I looked at the best option would have would be to put them on the swim step. Not a safe place to be when injured and in a hurry looking for help. At least with a cockpit you can open the transom door and get them into someplace safe and dry while you hurry on for help.

IMG2 is offline   Reply With Quote