Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards

Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

City: SF Bay Area / Delta
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
City water connected to boat

Just moved aboard and I know I have a* witer inlet* line where I can connect the city water directly into the water system, not the water tank.My question is , when connected*do I still need my 12 volt water pump on, or does the presure from the dock line, provide enough presure to supply my water lines aboard the boat ?

I know it is a simple question and i just figured I'd ask here , before damanging something. I guess I could alway shut of the pump and just find out, but I'd rather ask the experts.

Thanks,

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: City water connected to boat

Quote:
Dswizzler wrote:
Just moved aboard and I know I have a* witer inlet* line where I can connect the city water directly into the water system, not the water tank.My question is , when connected*do I still need my 12 volt water pump on, or does the presure from the dock line, provide enough presure to supply my water lines aboard the boat ?

I know it is a simple question and i just figured I'd ask here , before damanging something. I guess I could alway shut of the pump and just find out, but I'd rather ask the experts.

Thanks,

*No, the water pressure from the dock supply will do it.* Be very careful.* Turn off water when you leave the boat.* Better still install a water flow limiter between the dock and water siystem.* It will shut off after a set determined number of gallons has passed.* Many boats sink or have major damage from connecting to dock water.* I don't do it unless there is a pump failure, but I don't live aboard.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The city water pressure should be enough to pressure so the DC pump does not turn on.*
HOWEVER, I highly recommend that you do not connect directly to the city water because if a line should break/leak the bilge pumps may not be able to keep up, and if they due the water can cause damage.* Just this year our neighbor domestic line blew the bilge pumps quite, when they wake up in the morning the boat was bow down with about 2 ft of water in the bilge.

I fill the tanks and use the domestic pump.* In 14 years we have replace the pump 2 times. **I like the pump so I can hear if its running as it pressure ups.* I like filling the tanks as there is only 400 gallons that can be pumped into the bilge.*
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

I have this system in place on my Cheoy Lee 32 for many years and it works great.* I do use top quality hoses and gardena type of connections with larger seals to keep it tight.* The hose goes into the cockpit and the cockpit is self draining in case anything happens, water won't sink the boat.* Inside the boat, for running the water in the kitchen sink, washer, shower and toilet are all running on fresh water 90% of the time I use copper piping.* There is a valve to switch from water tank to dock fresh water.* In the bathroom, the toilet has a three way valve to switch from fresh water to sal****er as you know if you use*salt water for electric toilets there is always a smell and with this system there is no smell at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

As a liveaboard, I use the shore water connection all the time. I had a Jabsco pressure regulator on-board, the one that is the entire fitting, but after having to replace a couple of them, I just installed a straight-through fitting on the boat, and use a pressure regulator on the dock side. I run it through a water a "timer" from Home Depot where you can set the # of gallons, so it will shut off after so many gallons. I still turn the faucet off when I'm off the boat.

No, you don't need to leave the pump on when you're hooked to shore water and it's pressurized. It won't do anything anyway, unless the pressure falls below the setpoint of the pump's pressure switch.

Also, at the first of each month, I turn off the shore water connection and use of all the FW in the tanks (50 gallons if I'm not cruising). I then refill them with fresh water and go back on shore water. This keeps the water in the tanks fresh.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #6

Don't do this!

I had the regulator burst on mine a few years back; had I not been aboard we could have lost everything.

Just fill your tanks every now and then and use the pump, works every time.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Willy wrote:

I carry on board a honda fire pump. Its been used to dewater vessels that have been connected to city water. An endless stream can be created with the loss of a simple fitting.

*Not only do I use the pump at dockside, but along the same line I will not leave the air conditioning on if away for more than a few hours.* Hoses and pipes under pressure are not totally reliable.* I have had a small leak that dumped about 80 gal. of fresh water in the bilge.* Would have been much more, but the tanks went dry.* Using the pump, you know to check for a leak if the water runs out prematurely.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Fill the tank , let the boats system provide the water.

No accidental sinking , no turning off , with each dock trip,

AND it will keep you up on saving water should you go cruising.

If you are refilling the tank 2 or 3x a day , you might be having consumption problems.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SeaHorse II
Vessel Model: 32' 2005 Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

Quote:
FF wrote:
Fill the tank , let the boats system provide the water.
No accidental sinking , no turning off , with each dock trip,
******** :clap:
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think I'm the only guy on*liveabard row*that is not connected to city water.* I fill the tanks, 270 gals, every ten days or so, only once had to do this in the rain.* We use a Britta on the galley sink for all drinking water.* Simple system for a simple guy.

It's my little moment of zen to fill the tanks in 20 minutes or so and it gives me a time to chat with neighbors, watch the birds and vegitate.*

cheers
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SeaHorse II
Vessel Model: 32' 2005 Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

i like your style, Kevin.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"It's my little moment of zen to fill the tanks in 20 minutes or so"

The trick here is for a single point hose to fill ALL the tanks at once , and simply overflow on deck when full.

No pain should a cool one last a bit longer than planned.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Shore pressure water NOT RECOMMENDED!!
Ive seen boats with systems that had what could have become severe leakage problems with dock pressure hook up, as well as hearing about some horror stories.* So... I never use dock pressure and am happy to always use the DC powered pressure pump off my boats water tanks when at dock, which is seldom because we love to cruise and hang on the hook!*
Well... heres what happened to me:**
-********* I check everything in a boat before purchasing, and when I checked my current boats shore water hookup I fastened hose to boat and asked my son to turn on pressure.*
-********* Surprisingly I found no water pressure at any of the three taps.*
-********* I quickly yelled Troy shut it down somethings wrong.
-********* Upon popping open both hatches in salon to the engine compartment we saw a skim of water in the bilge centerline.* The bilge had been bone dry less than an hour before during our survey.
-********* Troy, turn her back on.
-********* I instantly heard and noticed a rush of water coming in from back of the water heater.
-********* Upon shutting down again, and contorting to close personal in back if heater I saw a hose completely disconnected and noticed no specific place to fasten it.*
-********* Troy turned it on again and water poured out the loose hose.
Long and short of it:* Previous owner (the original) was early 90s and had no recollection re shore water hook up, he used boat pump too another smart guy!* Because the water heater is relatively new, I figure the installer may be who left shore hose disconnected.*
As a result Weve owned and made love to this boat for three years.* Upon purchase I completely/securely plugged and wrapped the shore bib on side of boats salon, with a BIG sign above NO WATER. *Weve been playing with our boat ever since... we get 5 days and nights coming next weekend, Labor Day.* Suffice it to say that although every needed item on our Tolly has been well accomplished, and shes a good running baby, and although I will eventually get to hooking up the whole shore water system and making sure its water tight... Its not top of my list!* Cruisen, hooken, tow-behind speed boaten, swimmen, diven, sunnnen, munchen, drinken, sleepen, relaxen, watchen videos Yeah, Thats The Life! ****
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Reminds me.* The water remaining*in my tanks has been there for nearly three months.* I'd better*use the boat's freshwater deck outlets to do the next few boat washes and then refresh the tanks with "new" water.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Reminds me.* The water remaining*in my tanks has been there for nearly three months.* I'd better*use the boat's freshwater deck outlets to do the next few boat washes and then refresh the tanks with "new" water.
Personally, I feel*tank water is for washen boat,*cleanen dishes, taken showers*and doen flushing... if so equipped.

For cooking and coffee*we always bring fresh filtered water from home and for drinking we either use home water or bottled.* I feel that tanks can become a breeding ground.*

Every 3rd top off I add about two cups of laundry bleach to*our 77 gallon system. *

Noticed a tap filter was mentioned earlier in this thread.* Im not sure if that would solve the potential breeding ground problem??* But, Maybe??

Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #16

When the wife and I were living aboard we used the onboard tank. 150 gal. fiberglass tank. I found myself refilling every three or four days. I added a 10 micron sediment filter on the suction side of the pump and charcoal filter also 10 micron on the pressure side. I get these filters from our local plumbing supply store. They are not very expensive 3 and 4 dollars each. We change the filters every couple of months. I never see any garbage but we have a lot of iron in the water and these filters catch a lot. They look pretty bad when I change them. I showed the first one to a friend that owns a well and pump company. He told me that almost any home in our area would make the filters look the same, due to the iron in the water (if they were on their own well).

Now that we are not living aboard I flush the tank before each trip if the boat has been sitting more than a month. The flush consists of draining the tank refilling and draining again. Then refill and change the filters.

Planning a five day cruise over the Labor Day weekend. I will drain the tank, refill and run the boat up the creek to get fuel. When I get back I will drain refill and change the filters. The boat has been sitting since we cruised for 10 days in early July.

I'm a little more anal in the heat of the summer. In the winter when its not so hot in the bilge I'll go longer between flush outs.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #17
FF
Guru

City water connected to boat

Most "city water" is well dosed with chlorine and is fine BUT,

Should the on board water go thru any section of tubing that can admit light all bets are off.

There is usually not enough biocide in the water to handle the food that light actually is to the green slyme..

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 1st of September 2011 04:39:17 AM
Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

I use my on board water tanks. Now 1000 lts reduced from 2000 when I installed the water maker.
I have a carbon filter on the water to the galley sink. This is for drinking (if thats what you do) mostly I drink wine and beer.
I have never had a problem with my water in 16 years.
When I cut the fronts of the tanks to reduce them in size I was amazed how little crud there was in them. A fine layer of red dust in the bottom, this wouldn't have got into the system unless the tanks were very near MT and we were rolling and with a water maker that won't happen (or not very often)
The tanks are 316 grade S/S and I use copper pipe and food grade plastic pipe for all my plumbing. The plastic stuff was a later addition as originally plumbed her all in copper.
I find absilutely no need for plastic bottles of so called fresh water as our domestic supply does me until start making my own when I am away from home.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #19

City: SF Bay Area / Delta
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare

The votes have been taken and tallied. Fill the tanks with filtered water, use a Brita water filter for the drinking water on work days when wine and beer are reserved for later, and keep the tanks clean. We have been doing that for the past e2-3 weeks and seems to work fine. Holding just over 400 gallons I don't need to fill up to often, but I do try to run the tanks close to dry before filling so that I always have 95% fresh water. Taste of the water, in the ice, coffee and tea is fine. The drinking directly from the brita still has a very slight taste which I'm fine with, but the better half is still working on. I do feel better not having that presure from the city water always on the boat, and like anything elese on a boat, the more you use it, the better it seems to work. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
FF
Guru

However if you will be cruising , down island or further , you might consider a UV filter set up to filter the water as you take it aboard , and then switched to kill again as you draw down the island water.