City water connected to boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Willy wrote:
The presure sensor is attached to the pump. Usualy with two screws. It can be replaced.
But if you dig a bit you will find its activated by a flexable rubber gasket kinda deal. The gasket has a very small hole in it that slows the water flow through it. Slowing the reaction of the water pressure to the switch.
From time to time I find these little water pumps will surge or not work at all if that little hole is plugged or partialy blocked. But its attached to the pump not the switch thats removeable.

Oh my written word is not so good.
Any one get the drift of that ?
So - Willy*

That's interesting to learn, Thanks!*

Heres a water pump item you may understand way better than me.* Before hearing your input I just figured our water pump was simply breaking down and would soon need replacement.* But, maybe not!

Our water pump will sometimes work perfect, in that you can leave the switch on and as long as no faucet is on there is no surge (when using a faucet it always supplies good pressure). Other times we have to turn the switch off because even without a faucet on the pump keeps giving an intermittent surge that lasts about a second each time; sometimes the one second surge is spaced about 30 seconds apart and sometimes as long as several minutes or even longer apart.* Am I correct from reading your input that I may be able to simply disassemble the pump and either clean or replace its flexible rubber gasket... or even replace the whole pressure switch if needed?

Your water pump wisdom is much appreciated! - Art

Your system symptoms are that of a tiny leak ...* have you done a thoro check?* Every connection throughut the boat including the city water inlet?* Not trying to insult your intelligence but your symptoms* fit a dripping leak as much as anything.

Could be a pressure switch but if it does it after many hours it's unlikely.* Without a leak, the pressure would eventually peak and it's doubtful that it's the pressure switch...at that point if you are positive it's NOT a leak any place else...my gruess is there is some bypass internal to the pump and it may need replacing in the near future.

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 05:06:14 AM

psneeld wrote:
Your system symptoms are that of a tiny leak ...* have you done a thoro check?* Every connection throughut the boat including the city water inlet?* Not trying to insult your intelligence but your symptoms* fit a dripping leak as much as anything.

Could be a pressure switch but if it does it after many hours it's unlikely.* Without a leak, the pressure would eventually peak and it's doubtful that it's the pressure switch...at that point if you are positive it's NOT a leak any place else...my gruess is there is some bypass internal to the pump and it may need replacing in the near future.
Psneeld More than once I checked everywhere for leak, none located.* Not to insult your intelligence, but don't forget, I mentioned on my previous post that sometimes the one second surge occurs back to back not too many seconds apart, sometimes well*over a minute, and sometimes longer... and sometimes not at all.* That would mean if it were a leak it would be an often varying ratio leak seeing as the rapidity of the one second bursts (always one second bursts) can alter in time span from one minute to the next.* Internal bypass has been my guess too, but, what Willy mentioned interested me and therefore I figured Id inquire from a boat owner whod taken the time to know more about water-pressure pumps internals than me; internal portions of pressure-water pump is not previously my forte.* Usually on incidental a parts I simply R&R; since reading Willys post it will be interesting to tear into one and see what makes it tick!* Ill also purchase a spare to keep aboard, just in case! - Art

Not really on the leak...leaks aren't always consistent and the pressure sensor isn't precise so the cycling of the pump could be random.* I have lived aboard full time over 10 years and long stretches other times and I can vouch for tiny leaks that drive you crazy. And I've had those pumps all apart to and have transferred pumps to other motors, etc, etc....

If no leak...then the only other answer I can think of would be bypass....other wise the pressure would just keep building.

Rather than keep a spare...I plan to plumb one fore supply one aft supply with an interconnect...that way both are ready to go and not just sitting and rotting and will only see*half the normal cycles day to day.* Plus it's ready for troubleshooting like you have in case I suspect a hard to see leak.

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 09:09:01 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 09:12:34 AM

psneeld wrote:
Not really on the leak...leaks aren't always consistent and the pressure sensor isn't precise so the cycling of the pump could be random.* I have lived aboard full time over 10 years and long stretches other times and I can vouch for tiny leaks that drive you crazy. And I've had those pumps all apart to and have transferred pumps to other motors, etc, etc....

If no leak...then the only other answer I can think of would be bypass....other wise the pressure would just keep building.

Rather than keep a spare...I plan to plumb one fore supply one aft supply with an interconnect...that way both are ready to go and not just sitting and rotting and will only see*half the normal cycles day to day.* Plus it's ready for troubleshooting like you have in case I suspect a hard to see leak.
Scott - Good input, thanks, I'll keep that in mind!* I don't live aboard.* We keep our Tolly for fun and relaxation in warm freshwater, 100 miles door to door from our SF Bay Area home.* Per year, we*average 14 weekends (3 to 5 days each) cruising and on the hook.* So... the minor problem with our water pump that has occurred for the last several cruises posesd no big prob.* I will take all that has been mentioned into account as I decide what to do.* Will also purchase a new one before taking old pump apart, if I do tear it appart... just in case! - Cheers, Art

-- Edited by Art on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 09:37:18 AM

Willy wrote:
Art

This link if it works shows a picture of parts behind the removable preasure switch. In your pump they may be a bit different but the idea will be the same. The have the hole in the diaphram in the pics is yellow. Thats what gets clogged.

http://www.jfoakes.com/images/shurflo_94-237-05.jpg

What you describe could be a clogged diaphram. But usualy the pump will also be slow to react when a faucet is open or opened.

Any way the guts behind the preasure switch are easy to check / clean if need be.

Just be carefull when you reinstall the parts. Make sure they are lined up or you can scar or deform them. Carefull not to use to much torque when putting the screws back into the plastic housing.

Willy
*Willy - You're a champ!* Thanks!!* I see the diaphram and will conduct repairs as available... Cheers! Art
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom