Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Christmas aboard

This is my fifth Christmas aboard Seaweed, and it is still more fun each passing year. The decorations are up, almost all Christmas cards sent, and life is indeed good afloat.

What have you done for yourself this year on the inside and outside -- maybe next year I'll do the outside, but for now I just have run lights around the cabin windows but maybe another year... Anyway, I love the holidays (the music and decorations are the parts) so what have you done?

And yes, I do have a 2' tall tree stowed (next to the spare wind-gen blades, along with one tote filled to the brim with ornaments and doo-dads. Anything that won't fit in the box gets pitched after the holiday. This year that means the lighthouse with Mickey (red and green light at the top) will go go my daughter's home. It was a yard sale find at $2 so...!

Pictures follow --

The base is a candlestick holder and is taped to the dinette table. I do that almost first -- guess what happened last year when I waited too long?!

Remember when we all had these carolers? The girl has a bell. They came from our boat and are a few decades old.

Of course any gal worth her salt has a tugboat. It's from Lowes a few years back and lights up with three AAA batteries. The little rowboat in front of the whale is one I gave to my grandma in the 60's... when she passed it was given back to me. Wasn't that nice that she had notes under all the curios in her cabinet so we could all have a memory returned?

Back in 1993 I found this at a Kmart and loved it. If you look carefully on the wall behind Santa's desk you'll see a reindeer head mounted. I guess that's what happens when they start to slow down!

Anyway, the tree is filled with memories -- not so much "ornaments" per se, but bits and pieces of life. Each year I allow myself the privilege of finding a single ornament -- price is no object, just something that pleases me. Some years I find nothing, and others maybe one or two. It's an indulgence that gives me pleasure and really, just because it isn't an ornament-ornament, doesn't mean it isn't nifty.

That's my Christmas. Happy Holidays to you and yours from Seaweed.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Very much in the spirit of Christmas, Janice. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Wonderful display for Christmas. We have debated for years whether to spend Christmas on the boat. Perhaps next year.

Merry Christmas to you

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

City: Dayton, OH
Way back when, my family did have those same little angel carolers.
Your Christmas decoration makes your boat so homey!
I really like the tug, it's perfect

Here's wishing you
and yours a
Merry Christmas.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Awesome, just great!!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Love the decorations! Merry Christmas!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Have a good one Janice. Your boat must be a very inviting place to be right now. It's really rather strange for us southern hemi dwellers, but even tho our Christmas is in mid summer, we still tend to go for the snow, sleigh and raindeer thing...and hot dinners with turkey roasts and ham, and all the trimmings...funny that...somehow even though generations removed from the northern hemi winter Xmas, we still cling to it - Xmas in summer just seems WRONG..! Well, Xmas day anyway...however, after that of course having holidays then in Summer, with great weather for boating and beaching, camping and swimming is also good. Guess we can't have it both ways, eh..?.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Have a good one Janice. Your boat must be a very inviting place to be right now. It's really rather strange for us southern hemi dwellers, but even tho our Christmas is in mid summer, we still tend to go for the snow, sleigh and raindeer thing...and hot dinners with turkey roasts and ham, and all the trimmings...funny that...somehow even though generations removed from the northern hemi winter Xmas, we still cling to it - Xmas in summer just seems WRONG..! Well, Xmas day anyway...however, after that of course having holidays then in Summer, with great weather for boating and beaching, camping and swimming is also good. Guess we can't have it both ways, eh..?.
Its the same for us here in FL, nothing is nicer then 85 degrees on a winter day. I know your all to familiar with that.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Merry Christmas Janice. One thing...that alien looking plant in the last photo. Don't mean to scare you but you do know there is a face peering out of it?
Attached Thumbnails
faceplant.jpg  
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What a wonderful little tugboat. Have a 60-year memory chasing my toy tugboat along a street gutter during a heavy rain.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Janice. Adorable. So appropriate.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #12

City: Isleton, CA
Vessel Name: Jim'N'I III
Vessel Model: 1990 Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
The Holidays are all about family, old memories and making new ones. Doesn't really matter wether where you are, land-locked or not. We were hoping to be on the water for Xmas this year, we'll be ONLY four days late, be there next year, but loving the Season, the memories, the family, and MOST of all, each other. HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all, the Holidays will always be what each and every one of us make them!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Guru

Regarding chasing a tugboat markpierce, yes, me too. And I still have a pair of boats my daddy carved in the 1920's. I played with them as did my two kids, and eventually I'll share with my grand the duo. They don't float well (there's a keel on one) but I'm hopeful playing with boats will intrigue the grand in a couple years.

Making boats was something I did for fun and turning them loose with notes on the sails too. No one ever sent a message back though, nor to any of my bottles cast adrift. Of course most time was spent playing pirates and Indians, or intrepid explorer. Growing up afloat was pretty much fun.

I was truly blessed, and now with my own trawler life simply could not be better. I am so fortunate.

Back to listening to Dean Martin -- he's singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" (contented sigh)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Merry Christmas! I'm hoping we will be cruising the Panhandle this spring maybe we'll see you along the way.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

City: Chesterfield VA
Vessel Name: 5 O'clock Somewhere
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Mark I
Janice, nice pictures makes miss being on our boat this Christmas. We have the same tugboat!
Tom Phalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Guru

Janice, thank you for sharing the pictures. This was our first X-mas aboard after a four year absence from boating due to a health issue my wife suffered. Seeing her back aboard and the positive progress she made this past year made this our best Christmas. Another observation I took away this year is remembering the small things in life are what matter, like being out on the bay with just your spouse and dog for a cruise with only a few sail boats motoring along in the 75 degree, sunny and windless Christmas day. Afterwards a fresh cooked pizza aboard for dinner while tied to the dock sipping a margarita. Speaking from experience I recognize there are no guarantees in life and you have to cherish ever special moment as though it could be the last before another storm hits. Happy holidays!

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_47127850535158.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	26218

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook, Tx
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader
So nice I couldn't find the tree in our storage unit but I put up some other nice things and they "artfully" covered some flaws in our wood surfaces. Too bad I just took them down yesterday or I would post pics. It was very cheery. Also the wreath around our bell out front, made me smile every time I walked up.
Deidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Guru

John T. is correct: there are no guarantees. Time is ever fleeting and the good times make up for a lot of "survival mode" days. It is wonderful to be on the water for certain.

And those artfully covered wood surfaces on Diedra? Well, truth to tell behind the 5x7" picture of my grand daughter is a one inch circle in the interior where an ugly florescent light at one time was wired. I've got another on the port side that I've not covered (yet) but it's on the list.

If I were to look at my boat with a critical eye I'm sure there are a lot of things that need something. For now I'm happy taking care of one thing at a time. Now on the agenda: the engine transmission swap. Next, possibly an autopilot though I need to learn more about them. I've got hydraulic steering and a lot to learn about what will work for this little boat.

Still, Christmas is put away and a new year is here. Next year I'm headed for Florida because it's doggone cold here in Carrabelle! I'm not complaining though -- the TowBoatUS guy brought me out a case of the one pound propane canisters so I' all set, hopefully until the cold snap is over. Brrr.
For the curious, the zip code is 32322 here. Yankee winds are making things a mite nippy.

Anyway, hoping to see folks further south, and soon!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Guru

P.S. Elwin: I hope that white stuff in front of your boat is sand!