Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
psneeld

I did not mean to imply forced air was cheap. I had an "or" in my sentence which was easy enough to overlook.

In my vessel, forced air would have been almost the same $$ as the Hurricane hydronic system. The Hurricane ITR HXs are pure junk - two of my 5 units having cratered and leaked badly and all the others having a leak prone copper tube to hose connection without "expander" ring- I (and others)have switched to Real HXs.

Two other nice things about hydronic systems, if you are in cooler climates, are:
  1. You can route the hose/pipes through the bottom of closets, drawers, storage areas, bilges and other nooks and crannies to provide passive heat where it helps to keep things dry. Not unlike many homes where hydronic heat is utilized.
  2. With the diesel boiler off and engine(s) running, engine coolant can be tapped to heat the hydronic system. For WA, BC and Alaska cruising throughout the year (yes, 12/24/7) this really is a nice feature.
I agree...I wanted hydronic so bad I could taste it...but for my boat it may have been almost triple the cost...yes if I was staying in cold climes...but I'm heading south each winter now so I only needed part time supplemental heat...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser
psneeld

I did not mean to imply forced air was cheap. I had an "or" in my sentence which was easy enough to overlook.

In my vessel, forced air would have been almost the same $$ as the Hurricane hydronic system. The Hurricane ITR HXs are pure junk - two of my 5 units having cratered and leaked badly and all the others having a leak prone copper tube to hose connection without "expander" ring- I (and others)have switched to Real HXs.

Two other nice things about hydronic systems, if you are in cooler climates, are:
[*]You can route the hose/pipes through the bottom of closets, drawers, storage areas, bilges and other nooks and crannies to provide passive heat where it helps to keep things dry. Not unlike many homes where hydronic heat is utilized.[*]With the diesel boiler off and engine(s) running, engine coolant can be tapped to heat the hydronic system. For WA, BC and Alaska cruising throughout the year (yes, 12/24/7) this really is a nice feature.
I chose forced air over hydronic, and paid probably more for the forced air then a hydronic system.

Something a hydronic system can never provide is fresh air. That's something a forced air system provides with ease.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #43
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
ksanders

I have found with my hydronic system that cracking a door or a window provides more than adequate fresh air. Mind you I have no dogs, cats or teenagers with moldy socks on board.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #44
FF
Guru

"Something a hydronic system can never provide is fresh air. That's something a forced air system provides with ease."

It could, but I have not yet seen a setup that does heat outside air instead of internal air.

A boat would need a humidifier if this were attempted , as winter humidity is usually low , and heating the outside air would drive the humidity to unusual levels.

Any wood would get mighty dry!!

Most boats have Dorades or other vents that would provide plenty of internal air as the air heaters usually have a power exhaust that would be dragging air into the boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #45
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We lease port holes, windows open a little. My wife likes to sleep with some fresh air as she is snug and warm in the electric blanket. Fresh air is not a problem.

Have not fired up the Webasto yet, maybe in another week or two as long as the electric can heat the boat. Electric is cheaper the diesel, but once the temps drop 50amps is not enough ti heat the boat.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #46
FF
Guru

but once the temps drop 50amps is not enough ti heat the boat.

Here is how to get 300% to 500% more heat per KW.

Ads related to mitsubishi minisplit air conditioners

Mitsubishi Mini-Split AC | GoDuctless.com

Ductless air conditioner, Ductless heat pumps, Mini split Air conditionersMitsubishi

Dozens of Mfg , sadly no "marine" or RV units yet.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Something a hydronic system can never provide is fresh air. That's something a forced air system provides with ease."

It could, but I have not yet seen a setup that does heat outside air instead of internal air.

A boat would need a humidifier if this were attempted , as winter humidity is usually low , and heating the outside air would drive the humidity to unusual levels. Winter humidity might be low, but humidity inside the boat is actually a real problem, at least in the pacific NW.

Any wood would get mighty dry!!

Most boats have Dorades or other vents that would provide plenty of internal air as the air heaters usually have a power exhaust that would be dragging air into the boat. That might be true of your boat, but few recreational boats have good ventilation. I very rarely see a Dorade on recreational boats.
Several people have posted that they leave a window or door open to reduce humidity and provide ventilation. Having done that for years I wanted to have a system that doesn't require active participation for humidity control.

Right now I'm on the boat, Its 0 dark 30 am. The temp outside is in the mid 30's, and its been raining off and on all night. The boat is warm, and there is no fog on any of the windows.

I can walk down the dock and tell who is on their boats by the fogged up windows. I can also hear the jet turbine sounds of the Espar and Webasto furnaces from all the way down the dock. Excpet for seeing a light on inside, or seeing movement in the boat, nobody would even know I'm here. No sound, and no fog. It appears that the design worked. After installing five marine diesel furnaces in boats I've owned over the years I finally got it right. Yippee!!!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #48
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Ksanders

Some of us plug in at the dock and use the reverse cycle AC to do the same de-humidify thing, if required. That way we have the best of both worlds, hydronic and forced air. When sleeping at the dock, diesel furnace off and electric space heaters on suits us, even at 30 degrees.

BTW, the noisiest diesel heater I've ever heard inside or outside was a forced air unit. Install proficiency has a lot to do with it. Glad you found a unit to suit you, after five tries.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #49
FF
Guru

I wanted to have a system that doesn't require active participation for humidity control.

No problem, do not breath , do not cook.