California dreaming-SLIP HELP Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lotusman1951

Planning to relocate my 45ft Trawler to the West Coast to be closer to grandchildren-Presently in Baltimore?

Not a Liveaboard and intend to keep home in Bethesda Maryland-but would like to find a marina to "liveaboard" for up to 3 months at a time.

Kids in Orange County and am flexiable to find facility from San Diego to San Francisco-Yes Newport Beach/Huntington/Long etc would be best-but availability/cost/rules.

Could use some insight on local situation.

lotusman1951@yahoo.com

Kevin Kearney

Kevin, Chula Vista in San Diego does allow live-aboards. We love San Diego. It's tough in California. There is also a live-aboard marina in Alameda but I can't remember the name. Good luck. Chuck

When I was looking 2 years ago in SF Bay; Ballena Bay, Loch Lomond and West Point all had live aboard vacancies. *There are one or two additional Alameda Estuary live aboard marinas, but I don't know which. *Berkeley and Oyster Cove allow liveaboards, as does Vallejo? *Oyster Cove and West Point are convenient to San Francisco Airport.

cheers

Penny Lane wrote:
There are one or two additional Alameda Estuary live aboard marinas, but I don't know which. *Berkeley and Oyster Cove allow liveaboards, as does Vallejo?**
*Vallejo Municipal Marina has plenty of suitably-sized berths. Liveaboards in the San Francisco Bay Area are limited to 10 percent of berths as regulated by local government. (Seems like all California marinas are limited by local law and/or regulation, let alone the individual marina's rules.) Naturally, there are long waiting lists. "Transients" don't appear to be subject to that limitation in Vallejo, however. A transient who recently departed for Mexican waters was here for many months.

Attachments

• boats gone 2.jpg
    boats gone 2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 183
Kevin
I keep my boat at the Grand Marina in Alameda (across from San Francisco) and there are several other marinas here that allow liveaboard's, all for an extra monthly fee. The nice thing about Alameda is the protected area compared to being out in the bay, although San Diego to San Francisco is a pretty large area in which to choose from so family and other choices maybe the determining factor.

We live in Monterey where wait times for normal slips not including liveaboard's are 15 to 20 years, the same for Santa Cruz. When in San Diego and Dana Point recently I was looking at marinas and there were some liveaboard marina options although they were all pretty pricey $1000 to $1500 per month for 55' trawler.

Given all options San Diego would be my choice and it allows one to be out of CA (Mexico) when yearly taxes of 1% of value based on your location Jan 1st are assessed. CA is not very boater tax friendly as other states are and you may want to research bringing your boat here with a tax attorney.

Also less fog in San Diego than the bay and points south which makes for interesting boating in the summer but great in the fall and winter, unless you are up in the Delta during summer with hot weather and fresh warmer water, but thats another chapter.

Good luck

gwkiwi wrote:

Also less fog in San Diego than the bay and points south which makes for interesting boating in the summer but great in the fall and winter, unless you are up in the Delta during summer with hot weather and fresh warmer water, but thats another chapter.
*Fog in the San Francisco estuary is normally "high" and doesn't create a significant navigational hazard.* In Carquinez Strait; in the*central bay:

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 29th of December 2011 11:57:05 PM

Attachments

• high fog 2.jpg
    high fog 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 181
  • high fog 1.jpg
    high fog 1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 192
Penny Lane wrote:
When I was looking 2 years ago in SF Bay; Ballena Bay, Loch Lomond and West Point all had live aboard vacancies. *There are one or two additional Alameda Estuary live aboard marinas, but I don't know which. *Berkeley and Oyster Cove allow liveaboards, as does Vallejo? *Oyster Cove and West Point are convenient to San Francisco Airport.

cheers
Most places that allow liveaboards in the SF Bay area*have a waiting list to be a liveaboard.* West point is a very nice marina and I believe they have a waiting list to be a liveaboard*BUT if you are "cruising" and only there temporarily they are*flexible.

Oyster Point has some live aboards.* But consider Ensenada Mexico - 2 hours south of San Diego, Hotel Coral marina and resort.* Great location

Back
Top Bottom