Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #61
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazingcontent View Post
I am a Liveaboard in the East Bay on a 35- foot tug. . I also rent an office on shore which I love. It's good to keep work away from Liveaboard. Only so much space! Also consider one of the shared offices type arrangements. Carters Cafe in Benicia is gorgeous @ $90/ month and you get off your boat and see folks other than dock types ....they have fast wifi too. Forget about wasting your valuable onboard space- sharing it w washer dryer- Do it in the marina laundry room. How often do you do laundry? I bought one of those great IKea laundry/ backpack bags. Figure out the economics. Big is not always better. More expensive. Just downsized from a 38-foot Bayliner to 35-foot . Very cozy and happy. Why pay extra dock fees to have floating laundry room? Get cool trawler lamps and light them at night. Romantic. Teak rules for liveaboards. Romantic. As I write am looking at light flickering from my brass lamp bought for $50 at Blue Pelican in Alameda. Righteous! I am a pirate wench!!!!! But where the is Johnnie Depp?
As mentioned earlier, to each his/her own.

We've lived aboard Pau Hana for 3 years, and would not want to be without our onboard washed/dryer, generous space on our 52, etc.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #62
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome, Blazingcontent! You're just around the corner from us in Vallejo. I first experienced Blue Pelican about a year ago. Great place!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #63
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
And a welcome from us too, Blazing! I take it you are in Benicia Marina, or is it Glen Cove? Great town either way but obviously Benicia would be superior for a live aboard. There is a possibility we may be moving back to Norcal next year or in 2017, and Benicia is on the short list, a great location for what I may be up to and our kind of town. Been using the Best Western as a base there on my trips.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #64

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Nirvana
Vessel Model: 41' Litton
I'd like to toss another fly in the soup. I'm also looking for a live aboard cruiser. But after reading another post on this site, something very important was brought to my attention. "I'm not getting any younger." So, can anyone suggest a 48-53 footer with a standup engine room? I've been looking at Hatts and Marine Traders but they both have it engines in a closet. Not good for a 65 yr. old with bad knees. Oh yea, I'm retired so money is an issue. Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #65
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Easier to get the knees replaced then to find a perfect boat. Surgeon who did mine is retiring a week from tomorrow to prepare his boat to sail across the Atlantic to Europe. I probably paid for his radar, gps and AIS system.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
I'd like to toss another fly in the soup. I'm also looking for a live aboard cruiser. But after reading another post on this site, something very important was brought to my attention. "I'm not getting any younger." So, can anyone suggest a 48-53 footer with a standup engine room? I've been looking at Hatts and Marine Traders but they both have it engines in a closet. Not good for a 65 yr. old with bad knees. Oh yea, I'm retired so money is an issue. Thanks
Must be looking at small Hatts.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Must be looking at small Hatts.
I agree in that Hatteras would be one of the first places I would look for a nice engine room, like a Hatteras 56 MY for instance, or a 60, anything in that range.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #68
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to agree that the big Hatts, 53 and up have nice engine rooms. Best in that range though, would likely be a Great Harbour N-47 for full stand-up and walk around. Nordhavns are also sweet.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #69
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hello Blazing. I frequently "patrol" Carquinez Strait and pass by both Benicia and Glen Cove marinas. When you depart your berth, I hope to see you. But you'll have to recognize me because your 35-foot boat could be most anything.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #70
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
Take a look at Defever 49s and 50s. The 44 is also a good liveaboard.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #71
Guru

Even the older 48' Hatt Motoryachts had 5 1/2' of headroom in the ER. The 53MY has the dual ER, each with dual door entry stand up with about 6' 3" of headroom; not as much space as the 56, since the 56 is 18'2" beam vs 15'10".

I found the 49 Grand Banks classic and MY models which we chartered to have excellent stand up space, I'm a little over 6'1" and bulky and clumsy.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"