Boat choices for liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a Liveaboard in the East Bay on a 35- foot tug. . I also rent an office on shore which I love. It's good to keep work away from Liveaboard. Only so much space! Also consider one of the shared offices type arrangements. Carters Cafe in Benicia is gorgeous @ $90/ month and you get off your boat and see folks other than dock types ....they have fast wifi too. Forget about wasting your valuable onboard space- sharing it w washer dryer- Do it in the marina laundry room. How often do you do laundry? I bought one of those great IKea laundry/ backpack bags. Figure out the economics. Big is not always better. More expensive. Just downsized from a 38-foot Bayliner to 35-foot . Very cozy and happy. Why pay extra dock fees to have floating laundry room? Get cool trawler lamps and light them at night. Romantic. Teak rules for liveaboards. Romantic. As I write am looking at light flickering from my brass lamp bought for $50 at Blue Pelican in Alameda. Righteous! I am a pirate wench!!!!! But where the is Johnnie Depp?

As mentioned earlier, to each his/her own.

We've lived aboard Pau Hana for 3 years, and would not want to be without our onboard washed/dryer, generous space on our 52, etc.

Welcome, Blazingcontent! You're just around the corner from us in Vallejo. I first experienced Blue Pelican about a year ago. Great place!

And a welcome from us too, Blazing! I take it you are in Benicia Marina, or is it Glen Cove? Great town either way but obviously Benicia would be superior for a live aboard. There is a possibility we may be moving back to Norcal next year or in 2017, and Benicia is on the short list, a great location for what I may be up to and our kind of town. Been using the Best Western as a base there on my trips.

I'd like to toss another fly in the soup. I'm also looking for a live aboard cruiser. But after reading another post on this site, something very important was brought to my attention. "I'm not getting any younger." So, can anyone suggest a 48-53 footer with a standup engine room? I've been looking at Hatts and Marine Traders but they both have it engines in a closet. Not good for a 65 yr. old with bad knees. Oh yea, I'm retired so money is an issue. Thanks

Easier to get the knees replaced then to find a perfect boat. Surgeon who did mine is retiring a week from tomorrow to prepare his boat to sail across the Atlantic to Europe. I probably paid for his radar, gps and AIS system.

I'd like to toss another fly in the soup. I'm also looking for a live aboard cruiser. But after reading another post on this site, something very important was brought to my attention. "I'm not getting any younger." So, can anyone suggest a 48-53 footer with a standup engine room? I've been looking at Hatts and Marine Traders but they both have it engines in a closet. Not good for a 65 yr. old with bad knees. Oh yea, I'm retired so money is an issue. Thanks

Must be looking at small Hatts.

I have to agree that the big Hatts, 53 and up have nice engine rooms. Best in that range though, would likely be a Great Harbour N-47 for full stand-up and walk around. Nordhavns are also sweet.

Last edited:
Hello Blazing. I frequently "patrol" Carquinez Strait and pass by both Benicia and Glen Cove marinas. When you depart your berth, I hope to see you. But you'll have to recognize me because your 35-foot boat could be most anything.

Last edited:

Take a look at Defever 49s and 50s. The 44 is also a good liveaboard.

Even the older 48' Hatt Motoryachts had 5 1/2' of headroom in the ER. The 53MY has the dual ER, each with dual door entry stand up with about 6' 3" of headroom; not as much space as the 56, since the 56 is 18'2" beam vs 15'10".

I found the 49 Grand Banks classic and MY models which we chartered to have excellent stand up space, I'm a little over 6'1" and bulky and clumsy.

Back
Top Bottom