Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: gulf coast
Also consider that living aboard a boat but planning to someday take it on a long offshore trip requires a high degree of maintenance despite not being used. A dock queen taken out the gate will not likely have a good result. Both you and the boat need to be exercised. Though motoring slowly across the slot in summer afternoon will shake things up a bit as well.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #42
FF
Guru

Many long distance cruisers (loopers) do it with gas engines, no radar, no laundry, not even a decent fridge.

And in many situations they can easily walk ashore if there is a problem.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
One huge advantage to the Hatts is the support you can still get from Sam's Marine (spin off of their parts department) and the factory itself, for your specific hull#. I came to appreciate this immensely as time went on. Other than what creative POs may have added, you can get very complete, well written owner's manuals, detailed wiring diagrams and schematics, the works. Complexity=flexibility, and is not an issue if you have the decoder ring. The longer I owned my boat the more grateful I became we bought a Hatteras.

As for the office, the advantage to the Hatteras "no built-ins" salon is that is it completely user configurable. We found a full desk at Staples that matched and fit perfectly, here's an old picture, we could have put in a real office chair and a big L desk easily:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #44
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Big sporties are cheap and make great liveaboards with VERY good sea going capabilities. Lots of them for sale. Hatt YachtFishers top my list, but lots of 53 Hatt sporties available, With 12v71 nats, or maybe 8v92 TTs.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #45

City: Whitehall Mi.
Choices

We have friends that purchased boats to be used as live a boards for at least as long as you can live aboard each year here in Michigan. In both cases they chose older cruisers with gasoline engines. The cruiser style maximizes the living space and the gasoline engines minimize the cost. If you are not going anywhere, the gasoline engines are not an issue. The condition of the bottom is an issue. One of them found that he had blister when he hauled out last fall.

Dan Girvan
Gyspsy Spirit
Albin 36
Gypsy Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Unlimited ways to live aboard. None inherently better or more right than the other. Just like land living. I know people living in mansions and I know people living in RV's and both groups are happy.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #47
Guru

Check out the 50' Marine Trader if you want space. In your price range...typically twin Lehmans. Then be sure you have a slip in calm water as they do rock at the dock.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #48
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Some of the Cheoy Lee's look like they could fit the bill. Not sure on quality.

1982 Cheoy Lee Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...a#.VPeoXTh0yUk
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
You forgot to insert a "just kidding" emoticon there. That may be one of the single worst ideas I have heard yet, it has to be a joke. "How to take a $150,000 boat, invest $40,000 in it and turn it into a $20,000 boat!" Those old Detroits are old because they will take you anywhere your fuel capacity will accommodate: don't know much about them, do you?
Bad idea if the objective is a dock queen. Brilliant idea for a cruiser. One used replacement engine, combining chain boxes from Ramsey Silent Chain, stabilizers. Simple maintenance and quite good fuel payoffs. I'd buy a 58-61 Hatt in that configuration in a New York minute.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Liveaboard needs

I'm no seasoned mariner, but this is a huge condo with plenty of liveaboard room.

55' Cheoy Lee Flushdeck:

No audio (what was the broker thinking?).
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 AM   #51
keb

City: Portland, OR
Why is this design called a "flush deck"? I've seen other boats with that model description but I must be missing something.

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 AM   #52
Veteran Member

A 'flush deck' is a design where the deck has no stairs or blockage from stem to stern.

But then this would also be a 'flush deck' )
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM   #53
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
I'm no seasoned mariner, but this is a huge condo with plenty of liveaboard room.

55' Cheoy Lee Flushdeck:

No audio (what was the broker thinking?).

Certainly the condo. It is either staged or a dock queen and probably both. Just imagine where the lamps and ceramics would end up if it was on a cruise. Nice engine room.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

You said it, that's one MASSIVE engine room.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 AM   #55
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Many yachts are often staged for sale....but then again many owners also have a lot of stuff glued or museum put tied down.

For trips up and down the ICW, most of that stuff might never move on a boat like that if you are careful and pick your weather.

Anyway those Chevy Lee's have a pretty good reputation across the board and making it look nice to sell can't hurt either.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #56
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Defever 44 or 49 would be perfect IMO.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quake Hold. They make museum gels and glues and many other products. For instance, furniture straps. These are press and peel and hold up to 500 pounds, just strap to the wall. Rough water is much like an earthquake. We minimize the items we have on table and counter tops but we use quake hold museum glue on the items we do leave like that. We also use it to reinforce hanging pictures as it doesn't just keep them from falling but keeps them from swinging and motion.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #58
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Nice 55' Cheoy Lee. ER/Laundromat are spacious/usable. I like it overall!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #59

City: Mendocino, CA
My husband and I are new to the liveaboard life in the Bay Area and loving it. We had many of the same concerns / considerations that you mentioned and ended up buying a 50-foot Kha Shing trawler after looking at a number of other boats. We're thrilled with the decision. As it happens, we're going to out of town for two months this spring/early summer (I just posted this: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...rea-19315.html). It might be a good opportunity for you to give liveaboard a try? If not, we're also happy to talk about our experience.
Ms. Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #60

City: Benicia, CA
I am a Liveaboard in the East Bay on a 35- foot tug. . I also rent an office on shore which I love. It's good to keep work away from Liveaboard. Only so much space! Also consider one of the shared offices type arrangements. Carters Cafe in Benicia is gorgeous @ $90/ month and you get off your boat and see folks other than dock types ....they have fast wifi too. Forget about wasting your valuable onboard space- sharing it w washer dryer- Do it in the marina laundry room. How often do you do laundry? I bought one of those great IKea laundry/ backpack bags. Figure out the economics. Big is not always better. More expensive. Just downsized from a 38-foot Bayliner to 35-foot . Very cozy and happy. Why pay extra dock fees to have floating laundry room? Get cool trawler lamps and light them at night. Romantic. Teak rules for liveaboards. Romantic. As I write am looking at light flickering from my brass lamp bought for $50 at Blue Pelican in Alameda. Righteous! I am a pirate wench!!!!! But where the is Johnnie Depp?

Blazingcontent is offline   Reply With Quote