Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

City: Wolf Creek, MT
Best Trawler for a 100k Budget

We are looking for a live aboard Trawler that we can use in the winters. We are looking to be based out of Florida. We want to do some coastal cruising, island hopping in the carribean, and eventually would like to do the Great Loop. We are a family of five. We would love 3 Stateroom layout. We will be good weather travelers. Our budget is 100k. We are looking for a boat that is economical on diesel fuel. We are looking for a boat that has good range, and has the ability not to be stuck in the marina all the time. We like to go off and explore. We would like a boat with twin engines. We feel safer with that extra engine to be able to get to a safe harbor if the other engine is having issues. We want a salon and decks that are open and airy and can be made to feel like our second home.
Hope this tells you a little about us and what we are looking for in a boat. Any and all suggestions and ideas welcome.
SavaMathou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
The requirement for a family of five and three staterooms kind of knocks you out of boats in the $100k range. If you could add another $100k to the budget, a Bayliner 4788 would be a great boat but only 2 staterooms and they sell in the $200k range. If you could add $150k to the budget, the Endeavour Powercat 44' would be in reach. It has three staterooms but they are all queen size beds.

If the budget is REALLY fixed and you can tolerate an older boat and don't mind being called "we buy ugly boats", something like the Hatteras 44' Motor Yacht would give you three staterooms. Here is one in Fort Lauderdale FL for $60K:

1968 Hatteras Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck on your search!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Northport
Agreed on the Bayliner 4588 and the 4788 - they do have 3 staterooms and two heads. Early model 4788's can be had for mid 100's and the earlier designed 4588 can be had for 100 or so.
I think I have a floorplan I can attach later here somewhere.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Guru

A floorplan of the 4588....

Old 10-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Agreed on the Bayliner 4588 and the 4788 - they do have 3 staterooms and two heads. Early model 4788's can be had for mid 100's and the earlier designed 4588 can be had for 100 or so.
I think I have a floorplan I can attach later here somewhere.
Oops, forgot some came with a three stateroom configuration but isn't the 2 stateroom config what most were built to?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Guru

All were built with 3 staterooms but some owners converted them to two over the years. The bi-fold door that separates the fwd port convertible bunk room from the fwd master queen stateroom and head is pretty solid with a solid post it links to. When closed the actual entrance to that fwd port bunk room is by a sliding door (4588) or regular swing door (4788) that is not shown in the floorplan attached. That slider is also pretty robust as it is heavy wood door with decent hardware.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Guru

Floorplan for the 4788.....

Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Any boat purchase requires concessions and flexibility.
Can you change your budget?...maybe. Can you change your requirements, easier, and maybe.
Almost every trawler will have 2 "cabins", so the question becomes what other sleeping space is available. A friend of mine has spend considerable time on a traditionally rigged tall ship, and is quite comfortable with his allotted space of a 6'X3.5' berth, with the same amount of storage underneath, that's in a shared space with 30 other berths.
He can happily spend a month on the couch with no complaints.
So if the budget is fixed, maybe re-evaluate your cabin/sleeping requirements? Many boats in the $100k range will sleep 6 or more...just depends on how flexible everyone is.
Bottom line?...if everyone wants to do it bad enough, you'll find a way.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Guru

If you buy into a pretty old boat that fits your criteria and $100K budget, you had better be very handy at fixing things or have a big wallet for hiring others to do the work. The $100K is just the beginning!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Sleeping area tends to be a minor issue. It's all the cr@p everyone wants to bring. Young kids can sleep in a pile on a sofa. Boxes of stuff you trip over all day long.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #11

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
It's not precisely a trawler but extremely comfortable.. Navigator 52.. I lived on one for 5 years and it's great..
Mostly time come with volvo TAM engines
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #12

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
There are quite a few Hat 53MY on the market, most having DD engines. Plenty of room, 3 staterooms, huge salon, big aft deck, besides this boat is well built and can be found for $120,000 in decent shape.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavaMathou1 View Post
We are looking for a live aboard Trawler that we can use in the winters. We are looking to be based out of Florida. We want to do some coastal cruising, island hopping in the carribean, and eventually would like to do the Great Loop. We are a family of five. We would love 3 Stateroom layout. We will be good weather travelers. Our budget is 100k. We are looking for a boat that is economical on diesel fuel. We are looking for a boat that has good range, and has the ability not to be stuck in the marina all the time. We like to go off and explore. We would like a boat with twin engines. We feel safer with that extra engine to be able to get to a safe harbor if the other engine is having issues. We want a salon and decks that are open and airy and can be made to feel like our second home.
Hope this tells you a little about us and what we are looking for in a boat. Any and all suggestions and ideas welcome.

There is a difference between your average coastal cruising boat and one you'd want to island hop the Caribbean with.

Unless you are talking about cruising the Bahamas. Which are not in the Caribbean and much easier to get to then the real Caribbean islands.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
Technical Guru

Mona Passage in a Bayliner!!! Yay!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Mona Passage in a Bayliner!!! Yay!!!
I don't know about Mona Passage, but we take our Bayliner 4788 out in the Gulf of Alaska every time we leave port.

It seems to do just as well as the other SD hulls we see.

I generally make a no go decision if we get above 6' 7 second beam seas. If the seas are not abeam we have no issue with larger close in waves.

Thats wind blown waves, not long duration ocean swells.

Our tolerance for sea state seems about on part with the similar size charter boats in our area, which seem to prefer a SD hull built by a company called "Delta". The only difference being that I am not inclined to sit at anchor all day long getting tossed around just to catch a fish.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
Technical Guru

Mona Passage has a reputation of being "stood up" for long periods of time. If you want to get from Hispaniola to Puerto Rico, you are going to cross the passage. If you have a fair water boat, you may be waiting a long time for a window.

Did not mean to pick on Bayliners specifically. Heck, I would not take mine there.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #17

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Yup, going south out of Ft Laud to the Carib in Dec can get (98% of the time) really effin nasty, I usually run 120'-160' boats and Mona has kicked my butt more times than I care to count. The "Christmas Winds" kick in, straight into your teeth all the way down, 1200 mi just to the VI's, then you start cruising south from there.
The OP's problem is that a Carib transit boat wants to be as deep a draft as possible, where as a loop boat needs to be as shallow as possible. One's a blue water cruiser, one's a brown water boat.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #18

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
going with the general flow.. I would not take a bayliner more than 5 miles off any coast.. Incredible somebody run one on Alaska....
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
going with the general flow.. I would not take a bayliner more than 5 miles off any coast.. Incredible somebody run one on Alaska....
Clearly someone that has not actually been on a large Bayliner.

When you get some actual sea time in a large Bayliner, then you will have earned the right to speak about what you at this time have no knowledge of.

BTW, the Bayliner 4788 is by far the most popular 50' class pleasure boat in Alaska.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
One of the last sinkings we talked about here was a Nordhavn...

And that was in benign waters along the Delaware River.

To think every Bayliner is an accident waiting to happen indicates beginner boating experience/mentality.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100k, best trawlers, economical, live aboard, roomy