Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards

Old 10-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #121
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The absolute biggest mistake experienced boaters make when eyeballing a liveaboard is concerning storage space.

It is easy to look at "rooms" and see yourself performing day to day acts and say to yourself...oh...It's plenty big enough.

But for the average person, if you added up all their closet, drawer, and cabinet space in their dirt dwelling, including wherever they store tools, hobby stuff, spare parts for their engines, etc..... that space alone would probably be bigger than the interior cubic footage of their idea of a great liveaboard.

As long as you have something on land that stores stuff, it's better.....

But most totally underestimate how much stuff tries to stay onboard when you live aboard....and way too many people let it grow to the amount where moving it all around to get underway happens less and less till you have a dock condo.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #122
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccifilms View Post
.... on the other hand, spent 10 years in an 80 sqft apt (8x10) and loved every minute of it.

.....get the smallest one that suits your needs" i've separated needs from wants, and know that boats are an expense by the foot. i've been a slave to managing and maintaining all my properties most my adult life. it will be a relief for me to be back to a spartan lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccifilms
i'm not looking for opulence. just all the modern conveniences of full bathroom, hot running water, air conditioning, electric, wifi, nice sanitary metal and fiberglass compartments and surfaces are what comes to mind. a mobile studio apt. anything else is a fishing boat.
I thought you were looking for simplicity?

brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #123
Guru

Quote:
20 or so years ago i'm sure i was the guy searching for a deal on a 30 year old, 40'-60' castle on the sea. now, this old guy just wants a 5 yr old, 30 footer he can cast a line out just a few miles from the marina.

Quote:
as i become better informed (a work in progress) what i currently like are the 34' ameilcan and nordic tugs with raised pilot houses. getting exactly what i want won't be possible by local purchase. i got time to learn all i can to accomplish my goal.
They are nice boats, but I don't think you are going to find them in your price range.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #124
Veteran Member

City: las vegas
simplicity in terms of no extra statesrooms, 2nd bathrooms, no flybridge, extra wash sinks or 2nd coolking bbq area. . . simplicity in terms of form following function of a utilitarian tug. i'm sure with a $200k budget, i won't have to cut out hot water.

QUOTE=brian eiland;489079]I thought you were looking for simplicity?[/QUOTE]
nuccifilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #125

City: Palmetto Florida
Vessel Name: Intrigue
Vessel Model: Defever sundeck 48'
Mainship

I have a good mainship needs some tlc but I bought a new boat and would take $10,000 for the 1986 mklll mainship
Matt500r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #126
Guru

Quote:
simplicity in terms of no extra statesrooms, 2nd bathrooms, no flybridge, extra wash sinks or 2nd coolking bbq area. . . simplicity in terms of form following function of a utilitarian tug.

i'm sure with a $200k budget, i won't have to cut out hot water.
In that part of the world hot water can often be supplied via a black bag on the coach roof that heats the water via sunlight, and flows downhill to the shower with no need for a pump

Otherwise there are a tremendous variety of instantaneous hot water heaters over there, and propane to fuel them.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #127
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Maybe this will help show you how to look at a potential boat with a critical eye.
Marine Survey 101

boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote