Best live aboard trawler for <$40,000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow... Six pages of responses, all god advice IMHO. But nobody comes right out and tells you what to buy, so I will !! Get a ten your old Albin, Grand Banks, or other quality S.D. or F.D. trawler between 36 feet and about 40 feet. Get a single engine and get a bow thruster if you don't have a lot of experience. Get a Fly Bridge. Try to find one with newer electronics, lots of nice new canvas and a good inventory of spare parts. Check the fuel tanks if it is any older than about 10 years. 3,000 hours on a F.L or other quality engine is NOTHING, but good records are really nice, you don't need more than 150 hp, my 120 F.L. is economical and reliable. Leaks are really not a huge issue but soft decks and rotten wood are pretty big headaches. Find one, survey it, take it for a ride and then offer about $5,000 below asking price. Then...Enjoy your new boat.

Pete

Wow... Six pages of responses, all god advice IMHO. But nobody comes right out and tells you what to buy, so I will !!

e

Well, that's one guys opinion
That boat sure as hell wouldn't be of any use to us.

Wow... Six pages of responses, all god advice IMHO. But nobody comes right out and tells you what to buy, so I will !! Get a ten your old Albin, Grand Banks, or other quality S.D. or F.D. trawler between 36 feet and about 40 feet. Get a single engine and get a bow thruster if you don't have a lot of experience. Get a Fly Bridge. Try to find one with newer electronics, lots of nice new canvas and a good inventory of spare parts. Check the fuel tanks if it is any older than about 10 years. 3,000 hours on a F.L or other quality engine is NOTHING, but good records are really nice, you don't need more than 150 hp, my 120 F.L. is economical and reliable. Leaks are really not a huge issue but soft decks and rotten wood are pretty big headaches. Find one, survey it, take it for a ride and then offer about $5,000 below asking price. Then...Enjoy your new boat.

Pete

Did you see the title of the thread? You suggested a 10 year old Grand Banks? That will be way over the $40k budget. :)

Thanks Pete, I’m in the process now. Have absolutely no experience other then two years on a carrier in Vietnam as a deck hand.
Was looking at an Albin, Grand Banks,
I don’t know what S.D or F.D means but I can guess ... San Diego and Fire Department.
My wife has sent me to Home Depot looking for a left-handed wrench. Hope to hear from you if my guessing is correct.

Thanks for your advice... I’ll follow an experienced deck hand any day!

I wonder if the OP ever bought something (back in 2012)?

$40K feels like a ‘project budget’ to me.

I wonder if the OP ever bought something (back in 2012)?

$40K feels like a ‘project budget’ to me.

Funny thing. I didn't realize the original post was back in 2012, so I PM'd the guy asking if he was still looking for a boat, as I'm listing my 40' Tolly soon. haha...

I had to send a follow-up message apologizing, as I'm sure he's found a boat since then.

FWIW, I've been looking in the PNW for more than a year for a 40ft+- liveaboard capable of reliable cruising the entire Puget Sound and Salish Sea from Olympia to Ketchikan and around Vancouver Island. My priority was to spend as much as required for a fiberglass hull turnkey boat with a detailed maintenance history, thoughtful upgrades, and up to date electronics and with a non-turbo single diesel with bow thruster or twin diesels and with bow thruster so much the better. I'll be making a selection on candidates next month. I've not found any that meet my criteria for less than $80,000, but I would much rather pay that now for a boat that's cruise ready than to pay it out over time to correct deficiencies.

That's not to say I'll still be paying for repairs and normal maintenance, but I'll be starting out with a time-tested, reliable and attractive boat that I can take anywhere with confidence.

And as I've done my research, I've learned smaller is better in terms of handling in the marina and in total operational expenses, including moorage, so I've decided, as a single occupant most of the time, I can be satisfied with as small as a 34 ft if it has the right layout and quality equipment. I can be in only one space at a time. My favorite is the 70s-80s classic trawler design.

Last edited:
Funny thing. I didn't realize the original post was back in 2012, so I PM'd the guy asking if he was still looking for a boat, as I'm listing my 40' Tolly soon. haha...

I had to send a follow-up message apologizing, as I'm sure he's found a boat since then.

I might be interested! Almost pulled the trigger on a Tolly 40 Sundeck, right price, but learned it needed more work than I wanted to do to make it satisfactory and it had the original Crusaders. Fine engines, but I decided if I'm going on a long cruise I would appreciate the range offered by a diesel.

FWIW, I've been looking in the PNW for more than a year for a 40ft+- liveaboard capable of reliable cruising the entire Puget Sound and Salish Sea from Olympia to Ketchikan and around Vancouver Island. My priority was to spend as much as required for a fiberglass hull turnkey boat with a detailed maintenance history, thoughtful upgrades, and up to date electronics and with a non-turbo single diesel with bow thruster or twin diesels and with bow thruster so much the better. I'll be making a selection on candidates next month. I've not found any that meet my criteria for less than $80,000, but I would much rather pay that now for a boat that's cruise ready than to pay it out over time to correct deficiencies.

That's not to say I'll still be paying for repairs and normal maintenance, but I'll be starting out with a time-tested, reliable and attractive boat that I can take anywhere with confidence.

And as I've done my research, I've learned smaller is better in terms of handling in the marina and in total operational expenses, including moorage, so I've decided, as a single occupant most of the time, I can be satisfied with as small as a 34 ft if it has the right layout and quality equipment. I can be in only one space at a time. My favorite is the 70s-80s classic trawler design.

salishpaddler - they are few and far between around here aren't they? We found our 80's trawlers in a boathouse in Olympia. It ticked almost all of our boxes. The survey revealed some deferred maintenance (soft spots in the boat deck being the most concerning) which we are rectifying now but the major mechanicals were in really good shape. So far we've updated all of the electronics, rebuilt the hydronic heater, sanitation system, now replacing the boat deck. To find a similar size with all of this done to our likely would have easily doubled or tripled our budget.

As a DIY guy who actually enjoys working on our boat as much as cruising the PNW in it I was willing to hit a price point for the "platform" on which to make the boat our own.

Pete
A GB and a Albin are hardly the same quality.

Seems like this theme shows up over and over again. I want a great liveaboad board with all the amenities, etc., for $40K. The OP usually has zero experience, knows nothing about a boat and disappears as this one has and we never hear from him again.

Why don't these threads just get closed and disposed of?

salishpaddler - they are few and far between around here aren't they? We found our 80's trawlers in a boathouse in Olympia. It ticked almost all of our boxes. The survey revealed some deferred maintenance (soft spots in the boat deck being the most concerning) which we are rectifying now but the major mechanicals were in really good shape. So far we've updated all of the electronics, rebuilt the hydronic heater, sanitation system, now replacing the boat deck. To find a similar size with all of this done to our likely would have easily doubled or tripled our budget.

As a DIY guy who actually enjoys working on our boat as much as cruising the PNW in it I was willing to hit a price point for the "platform" on which to make the boat our own.
I have someone taking a look this week at a C&L Puget 44 Tricabin listed at $89 on Lake Washington and a pre-blister Uniflite 36 re-engined with Yanmars listed at $69 in Everett, both touted as turn key. We'll see. Then there's a Marine Trader LaBelle 39 in Poulsbo, also turn key, but I think his $80 firm is too dear. One boat I would buy without a second thought is the Camargue 42 CPMY at $104 listed in the Facebook Trawlers for Sale page, owned by Steve Stockley and just completed the Loop, but for the unfortunate fact it's in Ft Lauderdale. Put it in PNW and the price would increase by $20! These boats are just not to be had in the PNW.

Last edited:
I have someone taking a look this week at a C&L Puget 44 Tricabin listed at $89 on Lake Washington and a Uniflite 36 listed at $69 in Everett, both said to b e turn key. We'll see. One boat I would buy without a second thought is the Camargue 42 CPMY at $104 listed in the Facebook Trawlers for Sale page, owned by Steve Stockley, but for the unfortunate fact it's in Ft Lauderdale. Put it in PNW and the price would increase by $20! These boats are just not to be had in the PNW.
Except for the Camargue you tried to buy last fall. [emoji12] Which, by the way, is listed at a lower price now.

Except for the Camargue you tried to buy last fall. [emoji12] Which, by the way, is listed at a lower price now.
It is indeed! Still no sale. Many lookers, no takers when the surveys come in, so I've been told. I apparently dodged a bullet and have learned a thing or two along the way. It's wistfully still my White Whale :( But Steve's Camargue 42 is a gem, most likely because of a knowledgeable owner, diligent maintenance and extended cruising. Not the same as one with a history as a party boat on Lake Union that rarely went through the locks.

Last edited:
I live in the PNW, and I hope to get something 34-40 feet, diesel, for $40,000 or less. I anticipate fixing up and customizing the boat, I don't have any misconceptions about getting an immaculate floating condo.

Seems like this theme shows up over and over again. I want a great liveaboad board with all the amenities, etc., for $40K. The OP usually has zero experience, knows nothing about a boat and disappears as this one has and we never hear from him again.

Who farted in your cereal? A fixer up trawler from 34'-40' under 40k? Of course.. I own one.

The OP never asked for a great liveaboard with any amenities for 40k so lets not get off topic.

Your 40' Mainship was probably pushing 200k so I can see how you'd have nothing to offer on the subject.

To the OP https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/moore-haven-36-willard-trawler/6834462754.html

your age and health Boats in the size range you are looking at generally won't offer an aft stateroom if you get one with a cockpit, since you are single the V-berth may be fine.

In fact you can find a 34 foot that is roomier (albeit pricier) than some larger boats. The Corvette 340 has an aft cabin, it is called the "littlest large yacht" (or something like that) there is. If you are new to boating, what I'm about to say probably won't mean much but to others here, it will.

The 34 Corvette was designed by a Naval architect in jolly old E, the company was in business roughly from 1974 to 2009 (or something like that). A couple of senior executives from Fleming yachts fame purchased the company and tooling, and carried over two senior managers from the old company to work with them. The Corvette 340 is built in the same yard as all Flemings. In fact another nick name for the Corvette 340 is "Baby Fleming." You can be guaranteed much feedback from Fleming employees has gone into the most recent Corvettes, video of one below:

What has been done, which I love, is to use the traditional cockpit area as part of the aft cabin and moved the cockpit amenities above. My boat has a cockpit and I consider it wasted space. I have lived in travel trailers and motorhomes so I'm used to every inch of a good build maximizing the space available.

The reason this boat is so roomy is the loss of the cockpit area. I also echo what many have said, by the smallest boat that will fulfill your needs, you won't regret that advise. I have and do look at larger boats and drool, but I'm also very happy with what I have, a 29 foot express cruiser, 50 years old this year, in for a very extensive refit with just about everything worked on, removed and replaced, or added on so that this boat will end up with old bones but new everything else.

This Fleming that's not a Fleming will be more expensive but in my books worth every penny. When you can get more for less, over time it will save you money, from moorage to insurance to maintenance and repair, to the most important aspect, the spontaneity you get from a smaller boat, more likely to go out for a spin with less preparation and crewing necessary.

I'm not aware of any Corvette 34 boats in PNW. I'm impressed. Looks like they thought of everything except a west coast importer.

I'm not aware of any Corvette 34 boats in PNW. I'm impressed. Looks like they thought of everything except a west coast importer.]

You could be that guy.

It's a big tent. And for every person we hear from there are hundreds who are reading and possibly learning. I spent a long time reading through old dead threads here before and after I bought my <40k boat.

If you object to the thread it's easy to ignore...

That depends on whether you WANT to get rid of the necessities...

I'm on my 3rd liveaboard boat...first a 30 foot sailboat in my 30's, a 37 foot sportfish in my 40's and now a 40 foot trawler in my 50's....

I looked at 36 foot trawler and knew I could live on one...BUT....any woman I've ever known over the age of 40 would never live on a trawler less than 40 feet...not to say there aren't women out there that would...but they are rare and worth everything they want if they will live on less than a 40.

I have a 40...gave it a lot of thought...wish I had a 43...but finances, etc...put a crimp on that....

LOL, I am over 40 and just got my first trawler, an Island Gypsy 36. Been liveaboard on a 36' Uniflite for years, and though the IG is nowhere near as luxurious I can't wait to be on it and cruising those Lehmans. I am quoting you to the skipper tonight that "I am worth everything I want," LOL. Thank you!

Hello we are also in the market, i seem to agree with the larger cockpit area, covered (hard top) it too seems like a better place to eat and converse. But i also like the idea of the galley down to give a larger salon, any thoughts
Thank you
Scott

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. We prefer galley up so the cook/chef (me) is in closer proximity to the goings-on in the SALOON.

We first liked the europa but now i see why we shouldnt we have a corgi lol
So is a sedan a better choice? We like a large covered cockpit area but also sunning and entertaining above. Is this possible??

Thks for the reply, i will cook also but its not a must. We venture into town for most meals
We are more dockers than boaters, we venture out of newburyport occasionally

Greetings,
Mr. C. Restaurant goers? I can live with that BUT a galley up provides more floor area on the same level as the saloon. There are pros and cons to both.

200w.webp

ONE advantage to galley down is you can stow your spare anchor in the sink and it is out of sight, for the most part.

Last edited:
Galley up

I hear ya about the galley down, i can see that if the galley is separate from the salon ( same level) or a step or 2 but i dont like the galley across from the living area, is this possible, still very very early in our search , downsizing selling home and living aboard for the summer season in newburyport ma.but so many different configs, just my wife and i 50-60’s and our corgi and a occasional other couple, i like the trawler look , i like the covered cockpit area ( entertain etc) also need a sunning area sort of private area above...... i also like the helm doors port and starboard with bench seat idea. Again lol help. Is this all possible.......... no long trips

Back
Top Bottom