Best live aboard trawler for <$40,000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,

Mr. C. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html

It's early in your quest. Relax and enjoy the ride.

giphy.webp

Boat search 101

Yes it is early, we sold our Cruisers 3370 8yrs ago to buy our home, and now empty nesting and the home and property is too much. We are ready to spend our short Spring/summer /fall season in the North East on the water. But now we’d like a little more comfort ( room) on a trawler instead of a cruiser!!! Which we loved , but we mainly miss the marina scene and atmosphere. There is a Marine trader europa in
Damaroscotta Me. Miss Yankee pride..... thats listed at around $ 61,000 ( a little out of our 50ish budget)it looks very nice but we are not sure yet if the europa is the way to go, we have a corgi that cant climb ladders lol.

Thanks for any advice that you or anyone can offer.....
Scott and Lisa

Greetings,
Mr. C. Do you have a link to a listing?

Never mind. Found it.

Hmmm. She has some leakage issues among other things...I'm a bit out of the loop but I think $65K is high for a 39 year old vessel. Perhaps others who are more familiar with current pricing for a vessel in this condition would care to comment.

Last edited:
Powerboat guide

Thank you all for your input , very new to our boat search does anyone know how to access the powerboat guides online for older trawlers 70’s 80’s
Thank you so much

But now we’d like a little more comfort ( room) on a trawler instead of a cruiser!!! Which we loved , but we mainly miss the marina scene and atmosphere.

Wifey B: :confused::rolleyes::huh::banghead:

There are cruisers just as comfy as trawlers. Careful about labels. Make a list of what you're looking for in a boat, the requirements, then find the boat that fits. :)

Not Live aboard but could easily, 42 Jefferson sun deck, it has so much inside and outside living space, it a solid boat and the twin perking or cumming engine are solid, the hull is bullet proof and will be around in a 100 years if you upgrade the system lol, if you can find one like I did in serious need of repair you can pick it up for well under 40k

Not Live aboard but could easily, 42 Jefferson sun deck, it has so much inside and outside living space, it a solid boat and the twin perking or cumming engine are solid, the hull is bullet proof and will be around in a 100 years if you upgrade the system lol, if you can find one like I did in serious need of repair you can pick it up for well under 40k
If they are so "solid" why:whistling: are they in 'serious need of repair'??

I love the description " bulletproof".

The last 2 "bulletproof" boats I ripped apart were very similar vessel construction to vessels described by the same person as "entry level".

Sure some things were nicer, or done differently and certainly the boats had a better reputation....but the reality often is both boats would do the task wanted and survive the same given similar care.

If I want to know why one boat is better than another, the least likely term to convince me is "bulletproof".

the boat was abandon lol, let a boat rot for 9 years in southern water, but it was all easy stuff to repair, especially rebuilding the twin perking as you can remove the cylinder liner and do a full rebuild under 2k including having the head and fuel pump rebuild if you can do it yourself, took all the paneling out , replace all the window, instal so electrnic and I have a great cruiser for under 65K ,with new engine, generator, solar panel, inverter charger and 7 AMG batteries

By the way I meant the hull and stringers system, everything else is replaceable or fixable fairly easily, and the system are 30 years old so like anything even a well built house, it need repair and up date, but the bone are good, and at 22k I couldn't even pick up 2X 2oo hp diesel engine W/transmission and a working 9 kw gen.

I also have fallen for the 37 Coastal Cruiser

I'm new to this forum and ran across this thread, last post back in July. Thought I'd give it a bump and see if Danno had any luck finding the perfect liveaboard!

I spent a decade living aboard a 34ft sailboat in my younger (single) years, and now my wife and I live aboard (not full time, I admit) a 37ft powerboat. I've spent the last 30 years in the boat biz as a repairer, installer and surveyor, so I've got more than a few opinions. There have been a lot of good ideas expressed here, by many experienced boat owners. I have raised most of the same issues in seminars I have led at Trawlerfest the past couple of years on exactly this subject: how to find, and refit, an older boat for living aboard and serious cruising.

As a liveaboard who's also an active cruiser, I needed to find a boat with the right dockside amenities *and* the right cruising features. I agree with the several posters here who have said that finding the boat already equipped the way you want it is the way to go.

We knew we'd found what we needed two years ago when we found our Uniflite in Anacortes. My wife had already decided that the Coastal Cruiser had the layout she liked I had already owned three smaller Uniflites, and I was impressed with the equipment list: Webasto hydronic heat, almost new Northern Lights generator, oversized house battery bank and inverter/charger, recent Simrad autopilot, almost new windlass with two sets of ground tackle, and Perkins diesels with numerous spares, shop manual and a complete logbook showing continuous maintenance.

If you add up parts & labor for the heating system, the generator, the inverter and battery bank, the autopilot and the windlass, you get a total that's just about what we paid for the boat!

We bought it in November from experienced cruisers who had reached 80 years old and had decided it was time to give it up. In the two years we've had it, we've redone the interior, replaced the fridge, cleaned up the fuel system, added a battery monitor, rebuilt the cooling systems on both engines, re-plumbed the hydronic system to preheat the engines, and replaced the dinghy. We've still got a lot of stuff to do - add a new davit for the dinghy, replace most of the canvas, numerous electrical projects - but the boat is comfortable and functional.

Aside from the upholstery and carpeting, we've done all the work ourselves. My experience, and a couple of wholesale accounts at marine suppliers, has saved us a pile of money. I'm not getting any younger, and I won't be able to keep jamming myself into corners to do the grunt work for much longer, so I want to get most of the major stuff done in the next couple of years. It will be easier when I retire next summer - both to find time to work on the boat, and to go cruising!

So, anyway, Danno, what have you learned so far? Have you found a boat to live on? Let us know how your plans are proceeding.

Hi Gnorts,

Like to get in touch with you, I got the bug for the coastal Cruiser and like to tap into your knowledge so that I also stay realistic on this quest. Sent you a PM.

BB

My first big boat was a DeFever 42, $50k, bought a couple of years ago. Lots of deals in this caliber if you look.
Was a single screw, didn't really regret that.
My new live-aboard list is: 2 engines or bow thruster, laundry, generator, radar, heat, two heads. Autopilot strongly desired. Laundry would prob. be tough to get in your size range but maybe some of the newer designs...

Back
Top Bottom