Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #41
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Desi Dog

Desi is a 40 lb Beagle Bluetick mix. Hes been on board for two years and I still havent been successful training him to go on the boat. I even peed in the scupper and showed it was OK. The next try will be a piece of green outdoor cartpet with a piece of PCV pipe as a target. We like to moor out. The twice daily trips for doggy duty can get old. Desi loves the boat and dinghy rides. He a great dog for the boat and one hansome devil.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desi Dog.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	11296  

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Guru

Here's what we've finally convinced ours to use. Had to use the same approach and give it a little "scent" and show that it was OK to "go" there. Still haven't had any of them do #2 on it yet though.

Eagle Eye Potty Patch - Green (17x27") : Target

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
What I don't hear in all these posts about how to get your dog to do it on board so it doesn't have to be taken ashore two or three times a day is a dog's need for exercise (not to mention the owner's needs for exercise).
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #44
Guru

This is "Holly", 12years old, looks a full German Shepherd but we think she is crossbred with a kelpie (Australian working farm dog), weighs about 29kg. I`ve had 5 pure Shepherds over the years, one huge male was 55kg.We got her age 4 from a pound,she was 7 when we got back to boating and has not been onboard which I regret, but too late now.She is a loyal companion and has her own bedroom upstairs. The house resembles a large dog kennel. BruceK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	11314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	11315  
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Big Tuna
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
More of a cat person....Ginny is going on first cruise this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_00000026.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	11324  
baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The boating world has gone to the dogs. 3 pages of posts - wow, or should I say bow wow.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The boating world has gone to the dogs. 3 pages of posts - wow, or should I say bow wow.
Or maybe, bow wow meow!
One of my Club members took her cat "Rupert"on a one week cruise. People were catching fish for him.The "ship`s cat" is not new, originally there for rodent control. I suspect people have been putting to sea with domestic pets forever.
In Australia, National Parks provide moorings (with mooring line) in pristine areas but forbid pets going ashore for a comfort stop because it upsets native animals, though I doubt much worries 1-2 meter goannas (large fierce lizards) seen in Parks. I`d like a buck for every dog I`ve seen posing as a bow(wow) figurehead on a dinghy, legs crossed,going ashore. BruceK
Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #48

City: Sandusky, Ohio
Vessel Name: QTH
Vessel Model: Compac 23/3
I have a Schipperke, as well as the two cats. None of them has been aboard, as I haven't had the boat in the water since the year of my dad's dying. My mom is 94, so I don't feel I can be far from her, which kind of limits my sailing time, to say the least! However, I'm in the process of trying to sell my house and current boat to buy my new liveaboard.
ka8uet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
Alsatian lab cross, bit of a log to lift on and off at 40 kg. Loves the water and loves fishing but its a bit of a nuisance when she combines the two.
Toilet training involved plucking a weed that she piddled on before and putting it on fake grass on the back deck, it took her a couple of days and me showing how its done but eventually she couldn't hold it any longer. Interestingly as soon as she gets on the pontoon when we get home she lets rip, it's amazing how the pontoon timber along side the boat is different to the wooden deck of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	12260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	12261  
maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
We have been living aboard for almost 3 years. We have two Yorkies that have been raised aboard. Never have to go ashore for them. We have a potty patch that works great for them.
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
What I don't hear in all these posts is a dog's need for exercise (not to mention the owner's needs for exercise).
I'm not advocating keeping a large dog cooped up on a 30' boat 24/7 in a marina and never letting it ashore. The issue I believe here is the inconvenience (or impossibility) of taking the dog ashore at its regular times when you are on a trip. Just because I've dropped anchor for the night doesn't mean I want to load up in the dinghy in a downpour and buzz around in no telling what water conditions I may have to cross to find a bit of real land where the dog can do its business, esp. when I'm definitely not going to take them for a constitutional in inclement weather ( but then I live in the sunshine state, if I lived in the PNW things might be different)!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #52
Guru

Why do people their pet boating?
You have a boat. You have a dog. You don`t have instant overnight dog care available. Not all dogs tolerate kennels (we had an escape, plus 2 expensive life threatening illnesses in kennels). You want to be able to overnight onboard when you want. So, you take the dog with you. To make it work, you do some training and preparation.
Result? You are never kept off the boat on a prime weekend for want of a dog-sitter. It`s not perfect, few things are,it`s a balance thing,though quite a few dog owners would take the dog along even if they had care options, and a lot of dogs would support that too.
Our dear girl, a 30kg Shepherd/Kelpie,remarkably active nearing 13 years, her health under a real cloud,came to us age 4. We never introduced her to the boat, which came later anyway, and the first one lacked walk around decks which are a plus for a dog. When we lose her,any newcomer will go onboard as a pup, and despite a lifetime of German Shepherds, we may seek a smaller more "portable" breed,eg. a miniature Doberman Pinscher.
But it`s equally likely we`ll spot an orphan big enough to double as a bear,and take that onboard. BruceK
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #53
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Since I take several ten-to-twenty-day trips from home each year (via trains, planes, ships, ferries, etcetera), have decided having pets would be abusive to them, let alone the problem of carrying pets on public conveyances. So, I've none.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
What I don't hear in all these posts about how to get your dog to do it on board so it doesn't have to be taken ashore two or three times a day is a dog's need for exercise (not to mention the owner's needs for exercise).
Morgan has been with us for over 5 years, full time on Hobo. He's gone from Alaska to Trinidad. Other than passages, Morgan gets to shore at least twice per day. I take him to shore in the mornings and Lena (sometimes with me) in the afternoons. Last year we spent 300 plus days at anchor and he (we) never missed a walk. It's great for both of us on what we see, the exersise and who we meet. There are enough other cruisers that have dogs that we trade off when we want to do land travel. He's the best crew member we ever had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29 Morgan the Boat Dog.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	12275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 288.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	12276  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Originally Posted by dwhatty

Our dogs are trained to go on a potty patch on the stern of the boat. So if we can't reasonably get to shore, they are ok. That doesn't mean that they never get to go ashore. Just like us, they need exercise and if at anchor we get off the boat with the dogs whenever we can. When we decided to liveaboard and cruise we didn't want our destinations/anchorages dictated by the need to go ashore for the dogs. We've watched our friends trying to plan trips based on their dogs needs. We got our dogs as pups so training them on a potty patch was just part of their housebreaking training. I do know of several boaters who have been able to train their adult dogs. Guess it just takes a lot of patience and perseverance .
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #56
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Cats love water.They just haven't realized it yet.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #57
Guru

Omar the Persian cat, has been aboard for all of his fifteen years and is a true "sea cat." Never gets sick out on the briny and dutifully uses his kitty box.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Rescued a new boat dog three weeks ago. Redbone coonhound. Previous rescue hound (Rufus) went to the big doghouse in the sky-traumatic, to say the least. Rufus would never "go" on board but the new hound (Cruiser) thinks nothing of using the foredeck for his relief. Major bonus IMHO. Quick scoop up and a hose down and that's it. Remarkable dog. Watches me fish and "retrieves" my catch out of the bucket for his own inspection. Not bothered by thunderstorms or loud noises. Drinks beer and eats cigarettes (only once-don't want him picking up bad habits). Melodious bawl. A true southern boy.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #59
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Rufus and Cruiser----great names. Congratulations on your new boat dog.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
... Drinks beer and eats cigarettes (only once-don't want him picking up bad habits). Melodious bawl. A true southern boy.
Sounds like your kind of dog, RT. Pets are great if one can accommodate them. While having none, I enjoy the pets of relatives, friends, and acquaintences whenever I can, as well as my weekly sojourns with the birds at a local wildlife museum.

Tags
animal, cat, companion, dog, pet, pets