Being a nosy nieghbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our yacht club has portable ladders that can be hooked on to a dock cleat to effect a rescue. I know they work, as I needed to use one when I fell off the dock into the water. Beside the ladders, the club has availible, AEDs, oil booms, portable pumps. and fire hoses.

Ladders in my marina would be covered in oyster shells within a few weeks. Best plan if no one is around is to use a boat's swim ladder. So far I haven't needed to do this.

Most of the folks at my marina will help other boaters if the dockhands aren't around or are busy with other boats.

Last edited:
Ladders in my marina would be covered in oyster shells within a few weeks.

Not if they are designed properly. The ladders our marina has purchased but is waiting on paperwork to install are retractable. When stowed the lower half of the ladder is out of the water. But a person in the water can easily extend them down into the water. The association docks at the small island where we own property has simple, stout, homemade wooden ladders that work the same way. The lower portion of the ladder slides up and rests on blocks on the upper portion. All a person in the water has to do is bump the retracted lower portion and it will slide down into the water.

Gull

Your post is interesting. Thats something I will go through in my head for a long long time.

Should I have been more proactive ? As it turns out I was at the rite place at the rite time. If I had walked the 1/2 K around the marina to there slip she could have been gone.

But maybee I shoulda walked out on deck and suggested she get off the bow. That they should wait till I got around to help ?

I will never know , but I am glad I was there.

There is no way any deployed ladder could have been of any value. The girl was unable to do anything. From a call for help to even holding on to me, let alone hold the dock or piling to help herself.

Just scary ! But all ends just fine in this story.

Firstly, OFB - great job!!!

However, I must admit to being a bit baffled.

In the marina's where I learned about boat ownership etc., it was kind of a standing courtesy that whenever someone arrived, at least one or two folk would stop what they were doing and go to the arriving boat's dock to take lines/toss lines or assist in whatever way they could.
I thought this was just how it's done - and I have continued that practice after having moved to a different area. (If I see a boat coming in that is short of crew or is having issues, I will go straight to the slip and offer any assistance I can. I don't give any direction or push any ideas - I'm just there if they want a hand - or not. When the macho types decline, then I move off and enjoy the show :) ).

In the marina's where I "grew up" into boating, we were sailors, and there were no dock hands etc, so everyone just helped everyone else out.
I don't want to start a fight, but I have noticed that at my current marina which is mostly power boats (and my trawler), this practice of helping out and being available for each other just doesn't exist - I thought it was just rudeness, but perhaps I just got lucky by being around real boat people early on, and I learned from some true Seamen.

I am usually single handing, and I am happy to see a neighbor standing at the ready as I approach, I don't need to stroke my ego and I'll take the help rather than scrape the boat any day.
Of course, there may be some folk who can be more hindrance than help - in which case a polite "thank you, but I'd like to try it on my own - to keep my hand in" will usually work.

P.S. On the occasion where I have assisted someone who is struggling, I have never been accused of being nosey or any other negative comments - I have only been greeted with gratitude.

Yes, what u describe is the way it was and in some areas it still is. Back then you bought a book and did a little reading to learn things before buying a boat or talked to experianced boaters first, today people just buy a boat like it was a car. They also tend to operate their boats like a car. When you see this attitude u r for the most part seeing a new boater and he/she doesn't lend a hand likely because they haven't a clue what to do. one boat owner which u reminded me of like that was four slips away from me wouldn't even recognize u were around. They would jump in the boat never a hi how are you or anything go out race around abit them come in always with the same attitude. They had a 25 foot scarab I believe and water skied. One day arriving at the marina I was greeted by a helicopter reforming a medivac. Found out later it was that boat and the occupants were all RN's and had chopped up the shoulder of someone out with them with one of those power round to pick up the skier maneuvers. Sad, he wasn't killed is the good news

I don't want to start a fight, but I have noticed that at my current marina which is mostly power boats (and my trawler), this practice of helping out and being available for each other just doesn't exist.

You have observed correctly, I think. It's my observation as well. The only time we see anyone come to lend a hand is if it's very windy in the marina. The orientation of most of the slips and the direction of the prevailing strong winds are such that boats are almost always being blown onto or off of their docks. It's why we, like a lot of other boaters, power and sail, use permanent spring lines hung on a holder near the entrance to our slip.

Most of the boats on our dock now are sailboats. But power or sail, everyone leaves everyone else to their own devices unless the wind is up. And even then most people leave other boaters to their own devices. I will go to the dock of the sailboat that shares our slip when they come in with a north wind if I think they might need a hand but that's more to protect our boat than anything else. Most of the time the strong winds are from the south so they will get pushed onto their dock, not into us, and so will need no assistance at all.

And I will say that it is only on very rare occasions that anyone coming in to our dock, even in a strong wind, actually needs a hand. Most of them have long since mastered the techniques of getting in or, like us, they have rigged their slip in such a way that they can take care of themselves no matter what.

But the prevailing attitude I observe throughout our 2,000+ boat marina is a very minimal social "atmostphere" on the docks. People are friendly, don't get me wrong, but everyone is primarily concerned with doing their own thing. There are three yacht clubs in the marina which tend to attract the folks that are interested in interacting with other boaters. But for the most part it seems to be everyone does their own deal, and that includes coming and going from their slips.

If you want help and ask for it, assuming there is anyone around to hear you they will come over and lend a hand. But if you don't ask for the most part people on their boats won't even notice you're coming in.

Last edited:
I've had berth neighbors offer to help, but docking is easier without assistance, and the neighbors have "taken the clue." Wind and current are benign at my marina.

img_117229_0_7b11d39756603c361120f7c5871ff154.jpg

I learned that trait in a small sailboat dominated marina myself. Just be available to lend a hand. I've taught my son the same way. Be available to take orders, but do nothing unless asked. He's gotten some tours of some pretty cool boats that way.

He now wants to be a summer student hire to assist the local wharfinger.

"In the marina's where I learned about boat ownership etc., it was kind of a standing courtesy that whenever someone arrived, at least one or two folk would stop what they were doing and go to the arriving boat's dock to take lines/toss lines or assist in whatever way they could."

That is how it is in our marina. Offer the help, especially if the wind is up, or you can see they are short-handed, and it will always be gratefully accepted. If they wave you away with a cheery "she'll be right mate", then we just wave back and go about our business.

If you would like folks to help you dock, get to know them, help them dock, help them with their boat problems, talk to them, offer them a drink or invite them to your coockout, etc.

Your marina can have a friendly atmosphere or just be a place where strangers keep their boats. It's up to you.

If it looks like it may be needed I will offer help. If it is accepted I will take a line and do as the Captain asks. I do not try to second guess or direct the captain. If the captain wants no help that is fine. I figure a man has the right to tear his boat up anyway he wants.

Agreed! :thumb::thumb:

I actually tell whoever is holding lines NOT to throw lines until directed by me regardless of what someone on the dock is saying. If they're new to this process I simply explain that once someone is pulling on lines I don't have total control of the boat and its easier and safer for me to put the boat where i want to first, then throw lines to keep the boat there.

I learned that trait in a small sailboat dominated marina myself. Just be available to lend a hand. I've taught my son the same way. Be available to take orders, but do nothing unless asked. He's gotten some tours of some pretty cool boats that way.

He now wants to be a summer student hire to assist the local wharfinger.

Holy thread revival!

Anyways, my son is an assistant wharfinger at the harbour during the summer now. Loves the job.

I'm new here, but gotta chime in on this. I'm used to being around sailboats. They can be tough to dock, mostly not having helm in reverse other than prop walk and other factors. As others have said, at marinas with mostly sailboats, when one comes in, a couple or three people will drop what they're doing and walk over to catch a line if needed.
Now I live alone, except for my dog who is not real good at line handling on a 40' loa power cruiser with the helm on the fly bridge, no thrusters. Long way, down a ladder, up onto the walking deck and 35' forward to get a bow line. I do have a long boat hook on the bridge and can reach down to get a line on a cleat, but that's far from easy and I have lines ready on the rail and can reach down and hand a long boat hook to someone on the dock to use to bring over a dock line. I'm accustomed to going over to help someone docking if needed, as a common, much appreciated courtesy, not sitting back to watch the show of a controlled collision or other accident.
I'm new to non commercial power boating and not looking to rub anyone the wrong way,...just sayin.

Last edited:
Your problem could be solved by borrowing Marin`s dog, or having him train yours :).
With you on mutual docking assistance at the marina, but always be ready for a DIY the day no one is around.

Good job.

When watching others dock I often wonder whether I am a spectator or a witness.

The marina where my sailboat is docked has a couple of hundred slips and not a ladder anywhere. I pulled a neighbor lady out of the water one night. She was pretty drunk at the time and it was mostly funny, but could have been bad if I hadn't heard her companion yelling for help.
Where I am now with my power boat, I'm in a slip, bow to, on the ICW. Strong tide running about all the time. The dog and I have to go out the tuna door and walk the swim platform to reach the dock. I make it a habit to keep the swim ladder down, Haven't fallen in yet in more then six years of living aboard, but you never know. At docks without ladders, it's handy to remember that lots of boats have swim platforms and ladders.

OFB, thanks for the post and thank you for being the guy!

I'd like to think that anyone at my Marina would do the same. Unfortunate that during most of the time that we have been on the boat lately has been during the winter, and few people are on there boats. The few that are live a boards are deep inside most of the time.

The thought of someone ending up in the water during this time is upsetting, especially with a 2-3 knot current from the Colmbia River.

Be thankful for those that may be looking, Like OFB! I know I'll pay a bit more attention thanks to this post.

We kept a 24' and a 32' on a Corp lake for 10 years. We were weekend boaters then as we both still worked and this was our 1st boats that stayed in the water. When anyone returned anyone on the dock within 5 or 6 slips would help them into the slip, some needed much more help than others, alcohol may of been to blame. When we got a slip for our boat on the river no one jumped up and tried helping us in the slip whenever we returned. I put this down to two things, they were experienced boaters and the marina is well protected. I found that it was much less stressful docking when there were no people who thought they were being helpful or that I needed help grabbing the boat. On the lake every year there were a couple or more new boaters on the dock who needed a hand the 1st few times they docked so it just became normal to get up and help anyone coming in. As far as dock ladders I put one at the end of my finger, I think all docks should have some way for a person to get out of the water if they fall in. Retrieving a wet 50 pound dog back on to the dock is about all I can handle much less a full grown person. On the river there are enough houseboats near my slip I've always planned to use the ladder on the nearest one if I fall in.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I don't call any aspect of that original post nosy. Attentive and realizing a major problem might happen. I think this doesn't just apply to a boat. If you see someone ram a car in a parking lot and drive away but you have a clear view of the license plate, will you do something? What if you see a mother in Walmart slap her 3 year old hard across the face? What about a young couple on the street and she's trying to get away while he's hurting her and not letting her plus issuing all types of threats. What if you see a teenage girl drunk and alone on the beach? What if you know your neighbor or a coworker is getting beaten by his/her spouse regularly? What if you see obvious signs of being abused in a child? What if you find out a college girl was date raped last night? What if you observe shoplifting or employee theft? What if you observe a store manager sexually harassing employees?

Where do you draw the line?

It's difficult. Prior to meeting a much smarter than me wife, I would have thought through all these circumstances. For her, it was always simple and she taught me, just to do the right thing. Sometimes that's hard to figure out too, but if there's life, health, safety involved she and I both will jump in. It's led us to some dangerous situations in the past but we still do it.

This was a situation where the OP saw danger and he kept an eye on things and then reacted when it happened. I certainly hope I would have watched and reacted the same way. I use to see far more inexperienced operators on the lake. Also many drunk ones. I saw one circle in and out of a marina, hitting four boats along the way. I got his NC numbers and called law enforcement. I don't scream and yell when I get waked but when I see a drunk or idiot operator endangering the lives of others I do report them. We offer to help those docking who appear to need it but try to do so in a way that allows them to say they're fine without help.

We don't need community watch, we just need old retired neighbors who sit on the front porch of the first house in and know every car owned by every person and are nosy plus. That's like marinas. Nothing better for security than a couple of older retired couples who have nothing better to do than notice everything that takes place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom