Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Anybody use a convection microwave?

We’re planning to upgrade the galley on our 44 Defever and considering a built-in convection microwave and induction cooktop to replace the existing Princess range.

If you have a convection microwave:
—what brand and model?
—are you pleased with baking, broiling, etc vs a conventional oven?
—other than the comparatively short height of the oven, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
We have a 2014 Whirlpool and while my wife, the cook, likes it, I do not. It is an excellent microwave, perhaps the best we have had, but as an oven it is a miserable failure. The reason: no browning or Maillard Reaction at all. If you “bake” long enough to get some browning, everything is all dried out.

BTW, there is no built-in broiler since the heat source is essentially a big hair dryer blowing into a box.

Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
https://www.ebay.com/p/Samsung-MC12J...p2047675.l2644 We use this one mounted under our propane cooktop. Works well. Can even bake with it. Besides micro and convection it has conventional heating coils on top side of oven.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
We really liked or Viking and we really don’t like our GE. To be fair our Viking is a standard 36” above range model and our GE is a 24” space saver model. It’s not a size issue, it’s how the convection part of the GE is inferior.

Convection ovens are great when you need a dry heat. Broiling is usually not their thing.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
We’re planning to upgrade the galley on our 44 Defever and considering a built-in convection microwave and induction cooktop to replace the existing Princess range.

—what brand and model?
—other than the comparatively short height of the oven, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.

We have one, Sharp R-820BK (BK = Black), greatest thing since sliced bread... given no other oven, nor space for one, on board.

Other than size, we've not found a limitation. In fact, even size hasn't been an issue, although we normally tend to turkey breasts for Thanksgiving, anyway, not whole turkeys.

Our particular model is no longer made, though; there's maybe a newer on in their pipeline...

-Chris
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
We have one on our boat. Still not all that sure how to use it. Only time I’ve used the convection oven is to cook some cheap pizza rolls for my hubby for a snack. Lol
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have one, Sharp R-820BK (BK = Black), greatest thing since sliced bread... given no other oven, nor space for one, on board. -Chris
I'm a happy, same model, Sharp owner. Sharp does it all, albeit now with newer models.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #8

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
I have a Samsung at home that works ok, great for nachos, but with an oven it gets little use in convection mode.

For our boat, I'm REALLY interested in what this thread turns up. I suspect these are awesome....but for the price....

https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/sp...e=H_6100_BM_AM
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
I have a Samsung at home that works ok, great for nachos, but with an oven it gets little use in convection mode.

For our boat, I'm REALLY interested in what this thread turns up. I suspect these are awesome....but for the price....

https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/sp...e=H_6100_BM_AM
Agree! I looked at these and they seem terrific in all ways but voltage. They require 208/240, which we don’t have.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Well, if money is no object.... https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...VA-5kVA-EN.pdf
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We have a convection micro on the boat and we've found we don't use the convection feature very often.

Would it replace a stove? Heavens no. Would it replace a regular oven? Doubtful.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Quote:

—what brand and model?

Thanks in advance.
I realize that you are trying to save space. We considered a combo oven for our DeFever 44 but the reviews were not very good, a poor compromise at best. Instead we chose a $90 Oster extra large countertop oven and keep it on top of the dual fridges as you have on board your DF44. Yes, it takes up space but we bake bread from scratch, bake cookies, have roasted prime ribs, turkey breasts, and more, all quite successfully. We installed a small microwave on a shelf over the sink. It works for us.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
as an oven it is a miserable failure. The reason: no browning
But … But … But …

I thought the whole purpose of a convection oven was browning small crispy animals.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #14

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We have a GE Advantage Microwave/Convection Oven. We replaced an older GE unit with this one because it fits in the space. The newer unit had a much larger space inside to cook baking sheet and a pizza.
As for cooking - we have lived aboard for 11 yrs and used it often. We have cooked most anything we wanted in it - wife bakes bread, cakes, brownies in it. We have cooked many holiday hams and turkeys in it.
Unit is not like the gas range/oven we had in the house but we have been overall very happy with it.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #15

Our Samsung seems to do nachos well. But won't toast.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
Guru

Ian, without knowing the space limitations you might be better served by a conventional electric or propane oven, and a separate compact microwave that takes an entree size plate.( Note "entree" here means "starter",In US it means main course,so I mean a main meal plate.)
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:

Now that I remember, a local bud could maybe be interested in Princess range parts; apparently they're mostly non-existent these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
But … But … But …

I thought the whole purpose of a convection oven was browning small crispy animals.
Yeah, ours browns fine.

-Chris
Old 02-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #18

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
I am a big fan of convection ovens and microwaves, but..... A convection oven is great for items that need long cooking times, Turkey comes to mind, and you just don't want to spend a great deal of time cooking. So a 12 pound turkey done in a convection oven will take around 2 hours 15 minutes, much faster than conventional roasting. But how often are you going to do a turkey, and why not just get a turkey cut in half, one for the boat, one for the home freezer for further consumption latter on.

The microwave, this one I find more interesting. My boat is in refit and I told my guy I wanted a microwave. His response: "Rick, I'll put one in if you want but we have one in our boat and we just don't use it that much." Of course living in a commonwealth - Canadian here - there is God, Country, the Queen, and now of course the microwave. What I decided to do was watch how I and my wife used the microwave to see patterns. As you can guess, the great majority of what we did was re-heating of liquids and food. And can this be replaced by the stove, oven and barbecue?

So lets take popcorn in the microwave. If you are like me, you aren't a fan of how your house or boat smells after using the microwave popcorn bags. Now I'm going to sound like an old fart: "In the old days...." you took a large pot, added some oil, put in the popcorn kernels and voila - popcorn. You don't need a microwave and your boat will smell better.

You don't need your microwave for reheating. That spaghetti heated up in the microwave can just as easily be put in a pot and gently heated up. Heat kills coffee so you are better off saving hot coffee in a thermos, in fact, better coffee makers now use an insulated, double vacuum wall carafe rather than a heating plate to keep the coffee warm, rather than kill the coffee with heat.

What we Northerner's call a barbecue, isn't. A true barbecue cooks things at a long slow temperature, liked pulled pork, for instance. Our northern barbecues are really grille and oven. And I have used a barbecue to cook the turkey, just not on a boat. My favourite, any idiot can do it, is beer can chicken but instead of beer, I use Seattle Market Spice Tea with water which when steaming, gives the interior of the chicken a very gentle hint of orange. The outside of the chicken is painted with a wet rub of light tasting olive oil and Montreal Steak rub, great on chicken. The chicken comes out looking great, tasting great, and you look like a genius. Weber makes the best beer can chicken cooking utensil, pricey but great - don't wash it in a dishwasher, trust me.

One of the aspects I like about boating is the slowing down of life and I realize that a microwave on the water really isn't needed, I'm not going anywhere fast anyway. So sip a gin and tonic (with lime please), warm up the spaghetti in a pot to eat with your beer can chicken.

I told the refit guy he was right, don't install a microwave, now a toaster, that's different.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Guru

I hear ya, rsn48. In our case, the microwave runs off the inverter while our oven requires shore power or starting up the genset. So, we use the microwave a lot. Cooking oatmeal or warming a pop tart first thing in the morning without having to start up the genny is our way of keeping it simple.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #20

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Propane or diesel oven and stove, more independence when at anchor. Oh and Efoy...lol.. the large one with Firefly batteries, deeper discharge and they can be abused.

rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote