Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #101
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Moved aboard at my wife's desire to make a trip from CT to FL. She loves boating and wanted to make that trip. 5-years later and we are still aboard. And yes, you will meet and develop more friendships living aboard than you ever thought possible. The secret ingredient is that all we full time cruisers have a common interest. Bet you don't have that with your land neighbors. Go for at and have a ball. Good luck.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainetrawler View Post
Dear jwnall, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to come ashore. But if its too personal, I respect your privacy.
Not too personal at all. We had children and grandchildren, and my wife wanted more time with them. I could have cruised forever, and been happy as a clam, but I had to respect her wishes, since she was a loyal companion when we were doing what I wanted to do.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #103
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Have you ever spent any extended time (days and nights) on a Nordhavn 47? What's your cruising background?

There is an issue between "boat as a cruising vessel" and "boat as house". It ends up being a very personal choice and inevitably a compromise. There is a big difference in having the boat as your only residence, vs one used for vacations with a real house that one retreats to with some regularity.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #104
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
If you feel uneasy about your decision when you wake up at 3 a.m. and all sorts of goblins lurk -- no problem, you'll be fine. If you're having serious doubts at 6 p.m. after a cocktail or two . . . well, that's a more serious matter.
Best of luck and I'll bet you'll not only be fine but love it!
Jim H.
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #105
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
Welcome aboard.
My wife came on all hot, sweaty and humid, just like a hurricane, when she left she took the roof of the house with her just like that damn hurricane.
I decided to buy a boat and live on board 'temporary', that was in 1985 !
If I'd a choice I would have bought the boat first and rented the house to give you an income while you lived aboard for a while to see if it was to your expectations, simply because you would be able to choose your boat at leisure rather than be rushed into it and buy with the heart not the wallet.
Don't worry, you have the greatest understanding support network right here on TF right behind you because we've all done more or less what your doing right now.
Good Luck to you and enjoy your new freedom.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #106
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
Thank you everyone for all the great support and sharing of your experiences. I am highly gratified and greatly comforted. I think I let the liveaboard dream my husband and I have had such a long time get lost in the emotions and stress of all the changes we are going through.
My husband has a great deal of cruising experience; less for me but I am happiest when I am on the water, in the water or under the water (used to dive a lot).
Now that you have all helped to refocus me, the excitement is returning unmarred by doubts!
We chose the N47 after a lot of research and going on a lot of boats. Fortunately there are a lot on the market and more coming on soon from what we have heard.
We will be very careful in our eventual choice.
We are particularly looking forward to joining all of you out there. Like HMason said, we do not live in an area with a close community like the one we are about to join
Thanks to all; its help I really needed. The excitement is back.
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #107
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
My wife and I just realized that this April will be 2 years since we became a "liveaboard!" We still love it, I retire in 8 weeks and then in May off to the Inside Passage! Can't wait and love this life style. We also believe in not becoming "dock queens" meaning never leaving the dock. We have a boat for a reason! It allows us to relocate the water front condo when even we feel a need to.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #108
Veteran Member

We have a nice view from our house but it never changes. We can't wait to enjoy Alaskan Sea-Duction's lifestyle. Thanks to all you have posted encouragment. As my daughter likes to say "the happy feeling is back". My husband had a brutal bunch of flights yesterday on his last business trip. He is retired as of today and ready to go boat shopping soon!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #109
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
We have a nice view from our house but it never changes. We can't wait to enjoy Alaskan Sea-Duction's lifestyle. Thanks to all you have posted encouragment. As my daughter likes to say "the happy feeling is back". My husband had a brutal bunch of flights yesterday on his last business trip. He is retired as of today and ready to go boat shopping soon!
Congratulations on the retirement. Life begins today !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #110
Veteran Member

City: Somerset, MA
Vessel Name: Autumn Dream
Vessel Model: Lang 32 Custom
Still on the Dirt!

It is great to read all the comments here. When my wife and I initially started this thread we got some great answers from all of you. Thank you. At this point I think that you guys Mainetrawler are doing it right. We have been looking at live aboard boats and have not yet found the right boat. Also and I need to be honest about this inertia is also holding us back at the moment. But we are still considering this move and learn from all the post and questions. We decided that next summer (if the right boat does not grab us in the short term) that we will spend some serious quality time aboard Autumn Dream as we just retired early and figure it is a good stepping stone. Best of luck in your quest!
Autumn Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #111
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Houses, are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of transition. I admit, doubtfully, as exceptions, snail-shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #112
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
If you can the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami Boat shows are coming up. Seattle boat show is in January.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Dear Autumn Dream. I am very grateful you started this thread (and allowing me to jump in). It has been a treasure trove of information and support, including the recent posts, most helpful to us. Best luck in your quest as well!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #114
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Agree with Autumn Dream (also love the boat).

Over the last three years, I've probably lived aboard half of that time, working on many projects both in and out of the water, at marinas, yards, and in our slip in back of our main residence. Most of the reason I want to be aboard is to be rid of the material that one tends to collect on land. I got rid of everything I owned in '97 and then married to a woman who is now going through the same process with an overwhelming collection of stuff. She doesn't know what it's like to be free of all that stuff, and there's no way to tell her about it. When you're aboard and you wake up one morning....maybe six months later and you just had a dream about saving, protecting, insuring, storing, displaying, polishing, mowing, trimming, giving, receiving, scratching, denting, repairing, collecting, calling somebody about or getting a call about, or the plethora of other concerns that come up when possessing "stuff", you will shake your head to clear it before saying, "Oh yeah, I don't have to worry about that anymore". Surrounded by the tranquility of the world you chose only a short time before, you'll smile and lie back to enjoy this strangest of moments,,,,one filled with absence and gratification.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Houses, are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of transition. I admit, doubtfully, as exceptions, snail-shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place.
Damn, John! You wax poetic!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #116
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My girlfriend (who doesn't live on the boat) asked me the other day if I'll ever buy a house.
I would have said, "You mean a different house?" After all, you have a very cool "house"!
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #117
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Wine is better on a boat.

Reasons enough!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #118

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Agree with Autumn Dream (also love the boat).
When you're aboard and you wake up one morning....maybe six months later and you just had a dream about saving, protecting, insuring, storing, displaying, polishing, mowing, trimming, giving, receiving, scratching, denting, repairing, collecting, calling somebody about or getting a call about, or the plethora of other concerns that come up when possessing "stuff", you will shake your head to clear it before saying, "Oh yeah, I don't have to worry about that anymore".
I do not possess "stuff"...I have learned that stuff possess me. When going through a divorce 5 years back I realized how true this was. I am amazed how all those 'assets' proved to be liabilities in many ways. I never felt more free once I rid myself of 'stuff' I thought I could never part with. Love is the only 'stuff' worth possessing....the rest is all on loan to me.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #119
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
I do not possess "stuff"...I have learned that stuff possess me. When going through a divorce 5 years back I realized how true this was. I am amazed how all those 'assets' proved to be liabilities in many ways. I never felt more free once I rid myself of 'stuff' I thought I could never part with. Love is the only 'stuff' worth possessing....the rest is all on loan to me.
Yup.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #120
Veteran Member

You are all right about the burdens of "stuff". I have a wonderful person helping me with the work of the move and she keeps saying "where did all this stuff come from?". I have developed a fear of closets! ha ha With every trip to the Goodwill I feel lighter and better. I even found a box unopened from the last move 20 years ago...