Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #81
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Healhustler

should I start taking orders here at the marina?

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
We own 2 homes in the Tampa Bay area, 1 home in Miami and waterfront property on the Bras d'Or lake in Cape Breton (with a mooring offshore in front of the property).

Our plan is to live aboard most of the year. Sell the Miami home and 1 tampa bay home. Keep the Nova Scotia waterfront for the cabin and the mooring and hold onto the last tampa home for when we feel like being on the hard in warm weather.

We feel its the best way to enjoy the live aboard dream but maintain an occasional escape.

Mick Scarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #83
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Mick, that sounds really nice

The Bras d'Or Lake region I'm not familiar with, but the gulf is beautiful. I used to teach windsurfing during a few summers in high school, and man, that water could get so nice & warm. Thanks for bringing the Cape Breton memories back!
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #84
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
and waterfront property on the Bras d'Or lake in Cape Breton (with a mooring offshore in front of the property).
Do you know my brother-in-law's boatyard in Baddeck? Cape Breton Boat Yard.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #85
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
Mick your a lucky guy.
If I were you I'd pick the house you will be most comfortable to retire in, rent out the others through an agency to give you a steady income and meanwhile let your assets appreciate, speak to an accountant for the best tax free deal.
Buy yourself a 57' Nordhavn and just keep going South till the butter melts, the worlds your oyster so enjoy it while you have the health.
You may consider it prudent to visit the Grand Cayman islands on your journey and form a property company.
Many of us have a great cruising life with much less, we have a healthy life with freedom and contentment worth more than any man's portfolio.
The best of Irish Good Luck to you, just go for it.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #86

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Regarding the "investment" question around home ownership and that a home is an investment and a boat is not...one needs to consider historical data. True costs of home ownership (taxes, insurance, repairs, interest, etc) drastically reduces any real appreciation. There are many studies out there that show that home ownership does not keep pace with the S&P. Granted there are a few exceptions to this, but for the most of us, we are not keeping up with other investment opportunities. The big benefit of home ownership is forced savings. Granted we need a place to live...but personally I would not choose to not take the plunge of living aboard due to investment potential in a dirt based home..... Once the kiddos are out of school we intend to give the lifestyle a try! Cheers!!
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #87
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
Updating the "any regrets" thread

Hello all; our house sale should close next week. We have the movers and the one way rental truck lined up. We will be giving lots of things to the kids and putting the rest in a small self storage unit. Downsizing mania has been going on for a long time.
Our plan is to get a rental car and drive to Florida with our cat and dog to look at some older Nordhavn 47s.
Any one out there who moved aboard full time that regretted their decision?
I am nervous now that we are close to buying a boat and living aboard.
Any thoughts? I wake up at night wondering should we just buy a waterfront condo instead and travel?
I hope these doubts are normal...
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #88
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainetrawler View Post
Hello all; our house sale should close next week. We have the movers and the one way rental truck lined up. We will be giving lots of things to the kids and putting the rest in a small self storage unit. Downsizing mania has been going on for a long time.
Our plan is to get a rental car and drive to Florida with our cat and dog to look at some older Nordhavn 47s.
Any thoughts? I wake up at night wondering should we just buy a waterfront condo instead and travel?
Sure- they are absolutely normal. You're stepping out into the realm of the "safe zone"

"Safe Zone"- the opinions that others give you when they have no skin in the game.
  • You take their advice- they're safe
  • You don't take their advice- they're safe
  • you ignore them- they're safe.

I say go for it. To me, the worst thing you can have is the unrealized dream- I'd never want to look back 10 years from now and say, "I wish I would have......."

No regrets here. We hosted a dinner party last evening for 7 friends, and discussed this very subject at length. There were owners of power and sailboats, and vessels from 42' to 60' represented- and all liveaboards.

The consensus- no regrets. The challenges are different, but it's a simple shift in attitude that makes or breaks you.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #89
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
20 years living aboard based in Toronto.
One regret..... the previous 40 years living on dirt.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I am heartened! Thank you.
My husband is 69 and I am 62, both in good health. It will be great to have another wonderful chapter. Next May our son graduates college and our daughter gets married: good to think there are adventures out there for us still.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #91

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
No regrets here. I've been living aboard for the last two years. In that time I've cruised to Alaska twice, spent countless weekends in the San Juans, and enjoyed time on the water with friends and family.

I moved aboard soon after I finished college, so I hadn't gotten used to a big house or accumulated lots of stuff. That definitely made it easier.

My girlfriend (who doesn't live on the boat) asked me the other day if I'll ever buy a house. At this point I honestly don't have any desire to own a house. Maybe someday, but not today.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #92
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
They are normal. When I retired, in 1995, my wife and I bought a 39-foot sailboat, moved aboard, rented our house out, and proceeded to cruise for the next four years on the East coast and in the Western Caribbean.

Looking back on it now, I consider those four years absolutely and without any doubt the high point of my entire life.

Not all gravy, of course, and there will be times when you look at each other in amazement and ask "What in the world were we thinking?" But there will also be moments of pure joy.

So go for it.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #93
Veteran Member

You are at a wonderful stage of life! Many great adventures ahead for you.
For me, with a newly empty nest, I knew from this forum about the burdens of divesting etc. What I did not expect was the emotional toll it would take saying goodbye to loved things and little reminders of the kids now grown.
But that is the step that must be taken before going aboard. So, wine glass in hand, I press ahead. Thanks for the support. It comes at a key time for us. I need to focus not only on what is now behind, but the great times at sea ahead and all the wonderful people we will meet.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Dear jwnall, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to come ashore. But if its too personal, I respect your privacy.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #95
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by n36511 View Post
Regarding the "investment" question around home ownership and that a home is an investment and a boat is not...one needs to consider historical data. True costs of home ownership (taxes, insurance, repairs, interest, etc) drastically reduces any real appreciation. There are many studies out there that show that home ownership does not keep pace with the S&P. Granted there are a few exceptions to this, but for the most of us, we are not keeping up with other investment opportunities. The big benefit of home ownership is forced savings. Granted we need a place to live...but personally I would not choose to not take the plunge of living aboard due to investment potential in a dirt based home..... Once the kiddos are out of school we intend to give the lifestyle a try! Cheers!!
For the record, I am all for being a livaboard if it fits your lifestyle.

But , property ownership is a far better financial investment than a boat. If you own any sort of decent piece of real estate such as a home or commercial parcel, you can rent it out, use the income to pay for all the costs related to owning property you described while it appreciates in value. Even better, you can use the leftover income to support your live-aboard costs. So, while a boat 'always' depreciates in value, an adequately maintained rental property property generally appreciates in value and produces income during your ownership.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #96
Veteran Member

I think your advice is very sound. For us personally, its one or the other I am afraid!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
You are at a wonderful stage of life! Many great adventures ahead for you.
For me, with a newly empty nest, I knew from this forum about the burdens of divesting etc. What I did not expect was the emotional toll it would take saying goodbye to loved things and little reminders of the kids now grown.
But that is the step that must be taken before going aboard. So, wine glass in hand, I press ahead. Thanks for the support. It comes at a key time for us. I need to focus not only on what is now behind, but the great times at sea ahead and all the wonderful people we will meet.
You make some great points- here are some counterpoints to consider:
  • Things catch the eye- experiences capture the soul.
  • Your kids will be envious of your new lifestyle, and when they come to visit, it's all the more sweet, because they are there to see you, and not fix the house/car/lawn/basement/etc.
  • You'll have newfound friends wherever you go, be it on the hook or dockside. Folks will always come out to lend a hand and ensure a safe landing, because they understand.
  • You will know your dockmates better than your current neighbors (true in 95% of situations).

Wine is better on a boat.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Dear Pau Hana:
Thank you for reminding me about what attracted us to do this in the first place! I think I have been so bogged down by the "trauma" of saying goodbye to so many things I have taken my eye off the prize.
Thanks to all of you for returning my focus.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #99
Guru

Getting rid of "stuff" is liberating.

Enjoy the journey!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #100
Veteran Member

You know you are right! Most of the stuff we have not used in ages and were happy to donate. The precious things we will store. I am very cheered. Looking forward to wine on the boat, with new friends and new places.