1998 mainship 34 motor yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We also looked at several Mainships prior to getting our boat. The mainship was #1 on the list, but we got a really good deal on the Prairie 36. One thing to consider with the diesel is resale. I believe it will be much easier, and you will recoup the extra $$ spent when it is time to move up, and that time will come.

We also looked at several Mainships prior to getting our boat. The mainship was #1 on the list, but we got a really good deal on the Prairie 36. One thing to consider with the diesel is resale. I believe it will be much easier, and you will recoup the extra $$ spent when it is time to move up, and that time will come.

Was that you going south in the St Johns Rvr a couple of days ago? I was on the Buckman Bridge around 1030-1100.

headed South on the St. Johns

I wish it would have been but our boat is still on the hard...I had all the window frames bead blaster and primed them yesterday. Epoxy paint today and then re-set all the glass. Installing the new washer/dryer combo (plumbing and electrical)

We plan to be in Green Cove by the end of May...:dance:

IMO, the 34 Mainship is a very nice boat. I prefer the single diesel, bow thruster arrangement. Engine access is great and the prop is better protected. You only need 1 engine. Most commercial boats have 1 engine. Just my 2 cents. It is a great boat.

34 Mainship

I've owned my 34 Mainship for nearly 10 years and it's a great boat for what you want to do. I have the diesel version and have had absolutely zero issues with it. Those boats are super fuel efficient and very inexpensive to run. I wouldn't want to live on it full time, but it's great for a couple or small family over the weekend.

As for gas or diesel, I would go with diesel for the ease of maintenance and safety factor. A couple that had just retired, bought a boat, and were boating the TN river died of carbon monoxide poisoning while at anchor outside of our marina a few years ago. It was the gas generator and that fact that their mechanic wired the CO detectors to the engine key switch. Boat engine off = no detector. Duh.

We have been going through the new boat process as well, so I'd suggest that you take your time and physically walk on as many boats as you can to get a feel of what you do and do not like. Good luck and enjoy the process!

IMO, the 34 Mainship is a very nice boat. I prefer the single diesel, bow thruster arrangement. Engine access is great and the prop is better protected. You only need 1 engine. Most commercial boats have 1 engine. Just my 2 cents. It is a great boat.

I've owned my 34 Mainship for nearly 10 years and it's a great boat for what you want to do. I have the diesel version and have had absolutely zero issues with it. Those boats are super fuel efficient and very inexpensive to run. I wouldn't want to live on it full time, but it's great for a couple or small family over the weekend.

Just a heads-up about potential model drift. The 34MY (or 34 ACMY) from the '90s is a different animal from the earlier single-diesel 34, 34 Mk II, and 34 Mk IIIs, and it's also different from the more recent diesel "trawler" 34s.

Apples, oranges...

:)

Mainship's 34MY would be similar (but not identical) to the Silverton 34ACMY of the same era. My guess is that Silverton's "Sidewalk" bow access on later models may have actually started conceptually with Mainship's mid-'90s walk-thru design from bridge to bow. (I'm not really sure which came first, though.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom