Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #21

City: Douglasville, GA
Florida Sailing Cruising and Trawler School Learn to sail vacations, boat handling lessons on sailboats, trawlers and powerboats.

Try this. Alan

AlanBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JByerly View Post
Alan,
Can you provide the name of the school in Florida? Thanks
JBYERLY

Try this: Florida Sailing Cruising and Trawler School Learn to sail vacations, boat handling lessons on sailboats, trawlers and powerboats.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Where to hook up the deionized water...
At the dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dock.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	22538  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Having owned and cruised on both gas and diesel boats I am one that way prefers diesel for the safety aspect, etc especially as it relates to runing the gen at anchor.

I remember cruising from Jacksonville down river to head south along the ICW in a very wet day with canvas up and the CO2 alarm was going off constantly, also another time from Key West to Marathon when the weather didnt follow the forecast (go figure) and we were taking some green water over the top a few times. Again the CO2 got real bad mainly for my wife. On both occasions canvas up and slogging along at about 8 to 10 knots.

Now diesel no issues even under heavy weather that San Francisco and the Pacific can throw at you, I still run my bilge blower underway, now I spend my time working on keeping fuel clean so more expense but hey you only live once so pick your poison and just be aware of the pros and cons of each.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #25

This is the 3d time I've tried to send this, but I'm new in the forum and don't know what I'm doing. The school I went to is below and I will gladly give you name/email of instructor if you want. Alan

http://www.flsailandcruiseschool.com/
Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #26

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Thanks for the link.

Don't get frustrated, the forum (I think) does not permit links or photos from new members with under 10 posts.

This helps to prevent unwanted junk from getting into the forum.

A moderator can fill in the facts.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #27

City: Essex Ct
Vessel Name: Mesmer-Eyes
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship ACMY
Send a message via AIM to Mesmer-Eyes
I have a 96 Mainship 34 ACMY with 470 HP Marine power 454 EFI sport packs Handles well cruises at 22 knots not bad on fuel, more room in the cabin than most 40 foot motor yachts. Walk through from bridge to bow makes docking a breeze. Get a good survey mainships are prone to blisters below the water line.
Mesmer-Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #28

City: 1000 Islands NY
Vessel Name: The Endless River
Vessel Model: 97 Mainship 34
Moderation Note: Merged posts

Hi, i am new here.

How has your 34 treated you? i am looking at one sunday and would like your thoughts and experiences

I have been looking for a a trawler and then i found this. I am concerned w fuel mileage and the open props and rudders. Any thoughts or ideas? regards, Graham Coombs

Modsled@aol.com
The Endless River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #29

City: 1000 Islands NY
Vessel Name: The Endless River
Vessel Model: 97 Mainship 34
mesmer eyes is see your listing...why are you selling?
The Endless River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Knot Now...

Sounds like you are ready to take a big step up but doing the right thing to look at it from many angles and consider the experience of others.
I'm not familiar w/ the details of the MS 34 you are considering but we absolutely love our MS 34 HT trawler. I've had 2 gassers prior to the MS which is diesel. Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as you realize the +/- and make a conscious choice.

Re: learning - I'm a member & instructor with our local Sail & Power Squadron and think they have a lot to offer in the way of boater education. Most folks know us because of the basic boater safety course but few realize the extent of their advanced courses. If you have a squadron near by it can be a great way to expand your network of local knowledge & folks that can help along the way. Take a look at USPS.org Education dept and review the education program. Not sure about FL area but I know we have taken a lead and doing more on-the-water courses which were out of the question a few yrs ago.

Also - I'd advise - no strongly advise! - get the new bride - AKA Admiral -involved in education and being part of the search / decision making process.
WE have done that w/ previous boats but really got serious w/ our last purchase and the Admiral really loves the "new to us" MS almost as much as I do and keeps telling everybody how it was the right decision to move up even thought we both loved our last boat. We went to boat shows (we we're really interested in buying new) as a way to look at a lot of boats in a short time & think about +/- of different ones. Also had dealers / brokers show us several alternatives in the 32 - 36 size range. Once we decided the MS 34 HT was our best compromise she let me search everything available and find the "best " one - condition... price....etc

Think collectively how you will use the new boat... write down the "musts" & "wants" and agree on a budget... then start the search in earnest. All the Q&A and touring others vessels helps clarify the above for your situation which will likely be different than others & their priorities.

Good Luck w/ the search & decision making
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Keystone Hgts. Fl
Vessel Name: Kia Mae
Vessel Model: 1979 Prairie CC 36
We also looked at several Mainships prior to getting our boat. The mainship was #1 on the list, but we got a really good deal on the Prairie 36. One thing to consider with the diesel is resale. I believe it will be much easier, and you will recoup the extra $$ spent when it is time to move up, and that time will come.
Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #32
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
We also looked at several Mainships prior to getting our boat. The mainship was #1 on the list, but we got a really good deal on the Prairie 36. One thing to consider with the diesel is resale. I believe it will be much easier, and you will recoup the extra $$ spent when it is time to move up, and that time will come.
Was that you going south in the St Johns Rvr a couple of days ago? I was on the Buckman Bridge around 1030-1100.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

headed South on the St. Johns

I wish it would have been but our boat is still on the hard...I had all the window frames bead blaster and primed them yesterday. Epoxy paint today and then re-set all the glass. Installing the new washer/dryer combo (plumbing and electrical)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

We plan to be in Green Cove by the end of May...
Old 05-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #35

City: Bohemia
IMO, the 34 Mainship is a very nice boat. I prefer the single diesel, bow thruster arrangement. Engine access is great and the prop is better protected. You only need 1 engine. Most commercial boats have 1 engine. Just my 2 cents. It is a great boat.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #36

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
34 Mainship

I've owned my 34 Mainship for nearly 10 years and it's a great boat for what you want to do. I have the diesel version and have had absolutely zero issues with it. Those boats are super fuel efficient and very inexpensive to run. I wouldn't want to live on it full time, but it's great for a couple or small family over the weekend.

As for gas or diesel, I would go with diesel for the ease of maintenance and safety factor. A couple that had just retired, bought a boat, and were boating the TN river died of carbon monoxide poisoning while at anchor outside of our marina a few years ago. It was the gas generator and that fact that their mechanic wired the CO detectors to the engine key switch. Boat engine off = no detector. Duh.

We have been going through the new boat process as well, so I'd suggest that you take your time and physically walk on as many boats as you can to get a feel of what you do and do not like. Good luck and enjoy the process!
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
IMO, the 34 Mainship is a very nice boat. I prefer the single diesel, bow thruster arrangement. Engine access is great and the prop is better protected. You only need 1 engine. Most commercial boats have 1 engine. Just my 2 cents. It is a great boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
I've owned my 34 Mainship for nearly 10 years and it's a great boat for what you want to do. I have the diesel version and have had absolutely zero issues with it. Those boats are super fuel efficient and very inexpensive to run. I wouldn't want to live on it full time, but it's great for a couple or small family over the weekend.

Just a heads-up about potential model drift. The 34MY (or 34 ACMY) from the '90s is a different animal from the earlier single-diesel 34, 34 Mk II, and 34 Mk IIIs, and it's also different from the more recent diesel "trawler" 34s.

Apples, oranges...

Mainship's 34MY would be similar (but not identical) to the Silverton 34ACMY of the same era. My guess is that Silverton's "Sidewalk" bow access on later models may have actually started conceptually with Mainship's mid-'90s walk-thru design from bridge to bow. (I'm not really sure which came first, though.

-Chris