Zincs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LGO

Vessel Name
Journey
Vessel Make
Litton Trawler
Hello, I'm looking at a 35' CHB Heritage Aft Cabin the current owner has told me he has not changed out the zincs for at least two-years, should i be worried? The boat has been living in Maple Bay.

I doubt if many of us know where Maple Bay is, in Canada? But if it is in salt water then two years is a long time.

Many years ago on my new boat, I had it hauled out after two years in the water with no consideration of replacing zincs. The zincs were gone. The yard manager showed me how the prop had a pink tinge that indicated that the zinc in the alloy was being electrolyzed out. It wasn't bad and didn't compromise the prop's strength or so he thought.

So take a hard look at all of the underwater metals when you haul the boat during the survey.

David

Thanks very much! Sorry should have been specific about location, Maple Bay located on Vancouver Island (Pacific Northwest). I'm sending a diver down to report on status of hull etc.

Hello, I'm looking at a 35' CHB Heritage Aft Cabin the current owner has told me he has not changed out the zincs for at least two-years, should i be worried? The boat has been living in Maple Bay.

What zincs is he referring to? Has he at least checked them? Great pub at Maple Bay David, just a short jaunt from your place and just south of Nanaimo.

We kept our previous boat in Maple Bay, and found that the berths near the float homes were quite"hot". Two years is much longer than I would be comfortable with, but it also depends a lot on the boat and how it is set up.

Well we will get a look soon enough. Thanks very much for the info. This will be our first Trawler so fingers crossed she checks out ok!

You need to have it hauled at some point for a complete survey, so I am not sure what the extra expense of a diver brings you. ?

Yes for sure, but if there is significant problems viewed by the diver I would be ready to walk away. The dollars invested for the dive seem to me to be a good investment.

Yes for sure, but if there is significant problems viewed by the diver I would be ready to walk away. The dollars invested for the dive seem to me to be a good investment.

I agree, especially in this case with yrs since new zinc... in salt water no less! Probably fairly inexpensive for diver to simply do initial inspection, not much time or effort required to learn if proceeding toward buy is good idea.

With flashlight, scraper, knife, bronze brush I always dive under any boat in water myself before proceeding toward purchase. I've walked before after just minutes of inspecting. Others I've move forward to do other inspections above water. A few I purchased. Underwater 1st inspection is cheap way to get started. Especially for me, as I love to do it myself! :D

Yes fingers crossed, she is a great looking boat 35' Heritage, don't know much about the history of these boats. The layout is great and I think like other CHB's the deck space is fantastic. She comes with a 135 Horsepower Lehman with a little over 4-thousand hours.

I think with a lot of boating issues...it's a VERY small cadre of people who can truly guess beyond the obvious.

While there's a few divers I may trust to tell me a few things about the bottom and running gear....if they took a few pics it would be about the same.

For a diver to really guestimate the condition of the bottom (hull) and the dezincification of running gear from the lack of zincs would be well beyond the reach of mos of the divers I know. For divers that clean, zinc and hand around boats...maybe not...but you better have one of the better ones if you are just going to take their word and not pull the boat.

If not...request decent pics to support their guesses.

I think with a lot of boating issues...it's a VERY small cadre of people who can truly guess beyond the obvious.

While there's a few divers I may trust to tell me a few things about the bottom and running gear....if they took a few pics it would be about the same.

For a diver to really guestimate the condition of the bottom (hull) and the dezincification of running gear from the lack of zincs would be well beyond the reach of mos of the divers I know. For divers that clean, zinc and hand around boats...maybe not...but you better have one of the better ones if you are just going to take their word and not pull the boat.

If not...request decent pics to support their guesses.

I agree... Guess I'm a little jaded as to the true-worth of diving under first to check boat bottom and its bottom gear... cause I do it myself = first hand knowledge! I've never relied on the view/experience of others in this instance. In that case pictures would be good (I guess smart and necessary) to backup a diver's input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom