Your swim platform's utility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Inspired by an Italian boat's large swim platfom ...

The Coot has a near-water-level swim platform which will drag under water when underway. Nevertheless, it is always raised in those circumstances. Being near waterline, however, makes a good ramp for placing a soft-bottomed dinghy's bow for easy transfer between dinghy and boat according to FlyWright and us.

Last edited:
I believe that is the first photo ever shared with the Coot's swim step in the full down functional position. Did Mark remember to pack swim attire?

Not many other options but to nose in when the middle third of the swimstep is missing due to the ladder's placement and the step sits too low to stay dry if it's sat upon.

I prefer a full width swimstep with 24 inches or more of depth. I find mine too shallow and too flexible. It flexes when stepped on.

Also wish I had a transom door to ease the climb from the swimstep to the cockpit.

img_348063_0_c7962186fe9cadfeb8cfd1e382fddae6.jpg

Inspired by an Italian boat's large swim platfom ...

The Coot has a near-water-level swim platform which will drag under water when underway. Nevertheless, it is always raised in those circumstances. Being near waterline, however, makes a good ramp for placing a soft-bottomed dinghy's bow for easy transfer between dinghy and boat according to FlyWright and us.

But Mark, you don't have a soft bottom dinghy. The only soft bottom on you boat is . . . . .Well, never mind.

But Mark, you don't have a soft bottom dinghy. The only soft bottom on you boat is . . . . .Well, never mind.

Prefer to board our hard-bodied Trinka from the port side as the hand rails are closer and the dinghy won't hit against the steel rails of the platform.

Perla dangled her legs in the water while sitting on the platform, but the 76-degree water was too cool for her to further enter the water.

July sixth's deployment of the platform was the first in four years. I prefer to be on the water, not in it.

The platform was an elective, extra-cost item. I didn't order it, but since the builder installed it, it was free.

Last edited:
I find mine [swim platform] too shallow ...
Also wish I had a transom door to ease the climb from the swimstep to the cockpit.

I totally agree!

The swim step on our Bayliner is around 24" deep, possibly a bit more, and about 8" off the water

We keep the fish cooler on it. Very robust.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 129
We have the transom door but no swim platform .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 124
The swim platform on Moonstruck is wide enough. When the dinghy is down with the snap davits hooked, it makes for stable boarding of the dinghy. The dog can just step aboard. At floating docks the transom door is clear for easy boarding.

img_348075_0_c6a8d5b5e8201bccb058894683f75f67.jpg

Really?........you are going to whine about no transom door while some of us are suffering severely from complete swim platform envy?

Attachments

• Klee Wyck stern.jpg
    Klee Wyck stern.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 135
Of course, if my swim platform was deeper, I might not need to restrain my crew with a net.

Attachments

• FlyWright net.jpg
    FlyWright net.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 153
I believe our platform is about 28" wide. Didn't have a platform on Volunteer and I have never missed climbing over the side of the boat. We are cruising up in the San Juan's and Gulf Islands for the next week and there is nothing better than boarding from the stern..especially thru a transom door.
I will never have a boat again without a platform.
Hollywood

Really?........you are going to whine about no transom door while some of us are suffering severely from complete swim platform envy?

Well then, maybe we can arrange an even swap to appease your desires for a swimstep (sans transom door). Yours is one of the boats I admire the most on this forum.

I hope dwhatty posts some pics of the beautiful swimstep he built on his IG32. It's a beautiful example of a simple, strong, functional and good looking swimstep. All it lacks is the hydraulic lift, but maybe he's working on that upgrade for his upcoming winter hibernation. Since's it's already mid-July, he's probably out stacking firewood right now.

Last edited:
Well then, maybe we can arrange an even swap to appease your desires for a swimstep (sans transom door). Yours is one of the boats I admire the most on this forum.

I hope dwhatty posts some pics of the beautiful swimstep he built on his IG32. It's a beautiful example of a simple, strong, functional and good looking swimstep. All it lacks is the hydraulic lift, but maybe he's working on that upgrade for his upcoming winter hibernation. Since's it's already mid-July, he's probably out stacking firewood right now.

Thanks Flywright,
We do love our boat and will be keeping her but access to the water is one of her compromises. I am guessing the number years that the admiral and I will be baling off the boarding ladder into the kayak are finite but Klee Wycks other attributes are plenty consolation.
Hey.......maybe that strengthens my case for the second boat? I better go try to make my case again!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436673705.768213.jpg
Our swim platform is perfect for boarding and docking with the dink. Must have on any boat IMO.

Normal raised position of our swim platform you've probably seen before.

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A66733336nu0mrj

Prior to FlyWright's using the Coot's swim platform as a landing last weekend, saw little utility for it.

For those of you without a plat form, especially that canoe stern Lowland and the folding jobbie, how does someone in the water get in the boat on their own?

For those of you without a plat form, especially that canoe stern Lowland and the folding jobbie, how does someone in the water get in the boat on their own?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming water entry was intentional a ladder over the side works well.
Our swim grid is used for fuel jugs and dinghy mounting making use awkward.
When my wife swims off the boat our ladder hooks onto the gunwale and works well.

Some of the best attributes of my boat are the swim platform and the transom & side cockpit door. They make boarding and disembarking about as easy as I have ever seen. I know you have seen these photos before but here they are again. (Geez, I feel like Mark!) The rocket launchers are mounted on a rail on the outside of the transom (no photos of those) and the barbeque is on the top of the transom. Nothing interferes with traffic on the swim platform.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 116
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 122

We use a swim ladder. Here is Sherpa's ladder attached. One must be reasonably fit to use this ladder because of the angle. We stow the ladder in the engine room when not in use.

Attachments

• 100_1768 (2).jpg
    100_1768 (2).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 121

Thanks for reminding me that our two week long boating season is almost over. :eek:

Haven't got many pics of our (recycled milk bottle) swim platform but here's a few. Very sturdy. It's about 30" deep and 2 1/8" thick and has worked out great, especially with the "granny bar" I designed and had built. Boarding of people, dog and gear to and from our inflatulent dinghy is a snap.

The granny bar is removable for when the dinghy is to be hauled on the davits, although we have only used the davits twice so far to test them. We prefer to tow. The cross bracing on the davits (Ocean Marine) is a frig and I am not sure they are really necessary with the dinghy snugged in real tight with ratchet straps.

Attachments

• swimplatform.jpg
    swimplatform.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 211
  • swimplatform2.jpg
    swimplatform2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 209
  • swimplatform3.jpg
    swimplatform3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 185
  • swimplatform4.jpg
    swimplatform4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 668
Assuming water entry was intentional a ladder over the side works well.
Our swim grid is used for fuel jugs and dinghy mounting making use awkward.
When my wife swims off the boat our ladder hooks onto the gunwale and works well.

We use a swim ladder. Here is Sherpa's ladder attached. One must be reasonably fit to use this ladder because of the angle.

So in either case, no way for someone overboard to get back on the boat themselves?

And for the group in general, how about your dinghy? Have you tried getting back in it when you are in the water? What method do you use?

And for the group in general, how about your dinghy? Have you tried getting back in it when you are in the water? What method do you use?

We use the dinghy for snorkeling and free diving most days when we're out. When guests are with us, I forget that getting in the dinghy is not that easy for some people. We just pull ourselves up and over the side of our 10.5' Achilles RIB. We do have a permanently attached folding ladder on our swim platform.

In April we were on a friends whaler and one of his guests struggled to get back in it from the water. They stayed home the next day.

So in either case, no way for someone overboard to get back on the boat themselves?

Well, the ladder is easy to use unless one is overweight or has limited upper body strength. My wife and I don't have a problem but it is not ADA compliant! If you fall overboard and someone is not available to deploy the ladder, you are simply not getting back in the boat easily. I guess I could get a foot hold on one of the rub rails in an emergency but I have never tried it--it would be an amusing sight!

Yikes. The day I can't pull myself into a dingy will be a sad one for me.

Getting older scares me...

You da man, Dave. That is one sweet looking creation and what convenience and function!

Getting older scares me...
It use to scare me until I noticed the "changes" occurring in my normal daily routine.
(examples) How I get in/out of my car, carefully walking up/down stairs, not jumping off the boat to the dock anymore, not imbibing nearly as much, and the list goes on. The neat part is none of these "changes" are carefully planned, they just imperceptibly evolve! Don't sweat it, just go up and down your fly bridge ladder a little slower.:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 123
Don't sweat it, just go up and down your fly bridge ladder a little slower.:blush:

Thanks for the advice.

I don't have a flybridge on this boat so I'm good there ! ?

DuNORDS Swim Platform

Our ALBIN-25, the DuNORD came to us with an impossible boarding ladder and an outboard bracket mounted on her transom. I replaced them with a swim platform made of 1/2" thick white anti-skid plastic sheet stiffened with a cedar frame. We like the new Up-N-Out folding boarding ladder a lot. The platform was designed just large enough for two to sit upon, yet small enough for minimal interference with docking maneuvers.

Attachments

• Original Ladder & Outboard Mount.jpg
    Original Ladder & Outboard Mount.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Ladder Extended.jpg
    Ladder Extended.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Swim Platform.jpg
    Swim Platform.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 217

Latest posts

Back