View Poll Results: Motor owned, now own, enjoy most, easiest / less costly - multiple choices encouraged
1. Owned diesel boat[s] 65 69.15%
2. Owned gasoline boat[s] 59 62.77%
3. Currently own diesel boat[s] 81 86.17%
4. Currently own gasoline boat[s] 40 42.55%
5. Enjoy using diesel motors more than gasoline 67 71.28%
6. Enjoy using gasoline motors more than diesel 4 4.26%
7. Found diesel motors easier to service/deal-with 48 51.06%
8. Found gasoline motors easier to service/deal-with 13 13.83%
9. Found diesel motors less expensive over the long run 41 43.62%
10. Found gasoline motors less expensive over the long run 11 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Difficult to answer by checking a box when one is a diesel inboard and the other is a gas outboard.

You can check more then one

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Have 2 boats with gas both outboard and one boat with diesel, all three are powered properly for my use.

I have a car and a motorcycle that use gas and a truck that uses diesel, again would not change as they are properly powered for their applications.

I do not want a large boat powered by gas (over say 40') nor would I care for a diesel powered motorcycle.

Maintenance is a wash imo and as to enjoyment...I use engines to provide motive force and I guess I enjoy it when they do.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I only own one diesel boat but have two gas outboard powered dinghies.

I prefer the diesel over gas powered boats. Love the sound, love the torque, love the ability to run for hours and hours and not have to adjust throttles.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
To me there is no definitive preference. I like the right set up for the intended use. On the lake for years, there were virtually no diesel boats. Our boats there were gas inboard/outboard and we were very happy with them. Now we're diesel, except RIBS. Still mostly gas. A 14' jet rib with gas weighs 957 lbs. With diesel it weighs 1852 lbs for the same size from the same manufacturer. That's a huge difference. We like diesel but there are some places it's just not right for. Look how long people have been working to produce diesel outboards and how few they are and how impractical for most uses. On the other hand, I'm not about to cross oceans or cruise the amount we do with anything but diesel.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
To me there is no definitive preference. I like the right set up for the intended use.
I think this is the most relevant and credible answer.

Counting everything we have six boats: two diesel cabin cruisers, one gas (outboard) trailer fishing boat, two gas (outboard) shoreboats, and one rowing/sailing dinghy.

Every one of them is powered appropriately for their use and we enjoy using every one of them equally for their intended purposes.

I do have preferences for certain kinds of power for certain kinds of applications. For example I prefer diesel for a cruising boat but do not believe that diesel is the best power for this kind of boat. Tollycraft and other manufacturers over the decades have proved that a blanket "best" statement regarding diesel is not true.

Gasoline motors tend to need fixing more than diesels, diesel "fixing" tends to be more expensive than gasoline "fixing." For every advantage or disadvantage of one type of power, there is an advantage or disadvantage for the other ones.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
It's all about that Base, bout that Base...

gas for light weight applications, diesel for heavy.

my kayaks at 40lb each are armstrong powered.
my RIB at 750 lb, is gas powered. My cars, at 4000 lb each are gas powered, my present boat at 44000 lb has twin diesels, my motorhome at 44000 lb has a diesel.

All powered with the type of engine that is appropriate for the weight.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"Seen too many blow up. Prefer no propane for the same reasons."

The folks that would be on the hook , the insurance companies have a different view.

Most offer nothing for the "safety" of a diesel, regardless of how many you have personally seen blow up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Seen too many blow up. Prefer no propane for the same reasons."

The folks that would be on the hook , the insurance companies have a different view.

Most offer nothing for the "safety" of a diesel, regardless of how many you have personally seen blow up.
I keep reading those who say they've seen too many gas powered boats blow up. I must be in a different world as I've never actually observed one blow up and while I've read about many boat fires, I've read about them on diesel and gas boats. I've personally read about far more boat fires caused by electricity and by heaters, then next would come propane. Last, I've read about some fuel related but in a fairly limited part of the boating world as most of those I've read about have been older houseboats. I'm not arguing that gas isn't more likely to have fires, just that the level of boat fire caused by the fuel is still extremely low.

The major boat fires I read about are on the houseboating lakes on the Cumberland river (reduced dramatically with new rules and not putting houseboats under covers) and fires in the covered boathouses in the PNW. Now we do have fires at marinas everywhere else but typically much smaller and limited only to one or two boats. Most of the fires in South Florida are on diesel boats, simply because that's what most of the boats are.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is a little like the all chain question.

The essence of a trawler is heavy .. weight. All chain is heavy so it's deemed by many to be most appropriate for a "heavy cruiser" (trawler). Diesel engines are deemed appropirate for trawlers because they are heavy. They are like the boats that they go into .. in that way.

But that dosn't make them best or most desirable to be around. The objective reasons to like to be around an engine are smoothness, quietness and perhaps less smelly. So objectively the gas engine may be more desirable to be around. So why would you want a diesel engine in your trawler. Obviously it's not going to blow up and the chances of it catching fire is small. Excluding that though (and in the real world you can't exclude that) the gas engine is clearly a nicer companion to be around and if the gas engine is fuel injected it may be as dependable or perhaps even more. Durable? .. Who cares you're not going to wear out either in the time you spend on the water and a gas engine well maintained will probably out last a diesel engine w little maintanence. Not likely but perhaps the gas engine now is as dependable as the diesel. In the 50's 50to60' cruisers had mostly gas engines and most smaller cruisers still do.

So a trawler is heavy. And it seems like a big old slow turning diesel just fits better and thus belongs there. But an engine is just a means of propulsion and it's being heavy has nothing to do w it's appropriateness to power the vessel.

So IMO a gas engine could be a good choice for a trawler excluding the fire danger and higher fuel consumption. And low fuel consumption is frequently an over rated feature of a trawler. This is just an out of the box opinion and I have no intension of convincing anybody to switch to gas. But the boat can be big and heavy but the engine may be small and light .. gas or diesel. The engine just needs to have the power to drive the boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Last boat fire on my fuel dock...3 summers ago...blew the 2 guys out of the boat....3 girls burned a bit before they got onto the dock.

17 foot center console...fought it with a water stream after pulling it out of the marina for an hour till the FD finally got foam in it.

Personally have witnessed many dozens of boat fires, some diesel boats, none of which started from propane that I am aware of.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Last boat fire on my fuel dock...3 summers ago...blew the 2 guys out of the boat....3 girls burned a bit before they got onto the dock.

17 foot center console...fought it with a water stream after pulling it out of the marina for an hour till the FD finally got foam in it.

Personally have witnessed many dozens of boat fires, some diesel boats, none of which started from propane that I am aware of.
What was the cause of that fire you mention?

Propane involved fires seemed to be a houseboat thing on just a couple of lakes. In most cases propane didn't start them, just rapidly spread them.

I'm sure you've witnessed things that would horrify most of us. We have taken firefighting courses but hope to never have to use what we learned. As if we didn't already have a natural respect for fire, the things we did there gave us an even greater perspective on it. It was an educational experience, but definitely not a fun one. Even dealing with fires in a controlled, laboratory type setting is extremely challenging. Certainly increased our respect for firefighters and the difficulty of their jobs.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
What was the cause of that fire you mention?

Propane involved fires seemed to be a houseboat thing on just a couple of lakes. In most cases propane didn't start them, just rapidly spread them.

I'm sure you've witnessed things that would horrify most of us. We have taken firefighting courses but hope to never have to use what we learned. As if we didn't already have a natural respect for fire, the things we did there gave us an even greater perspective on it. It was an educational experience, but definitely not a fun one. Even dealing with fires in a controlled, laboratory type setting is extremely challenging. Certainly increased our respect for firefighters and the difficulty of their jobs.
Not sure what caused this one. Can't even say if it happened during fueling or after and upon start. It was an open center console with outboard.

Unfortunately...rescue types often never get the full story or particulars after delivery to a higher standard of care/rescue.

It was/is always a treat to find out more...but was rare.

But the stats probably bear it out....unfortunately the stats are often misleading unless you do all the math of how many per 100 of the EXACT same kind or circumstance...which most govt stats I read rarely do. Or at least I don't look for the better stats...just the commonly available or published ones.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sure, ignore the two most disadvantages so one comes up with gasoline as the best choice!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sure, ignore the two most disadvantages so one comes up with gasoline as the best choice!
In instances diesel is best choice. In instances gasoline is best choice. In some instances either could be a good choice. The choice of either type fuel/engine is not a competitive contest, but rather, it should be a rational thought-through decision of what type engine used to power a particular boat.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #35
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I've often wondered how a pair of small 4 cylinder inboards, like the Mercruiser 140 hp, ran at displacement speed in a 40ish foot boat would do. They handle very low rpm very well, much better than diesel engines, and could easily make hull speed with low fuel useage and almost no noise. And, they would probably do it just as long as the diesel engine, unless of course the boat explodes
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I've often wondered how a pair of small 4 cylinder inboards, like the Mercruiser 140 hp, ran at displacement speed in a 40ish foot boat would do. They handle very low rpm very well, much better than diesel engines, and could easily make hull speed with low fuel useage and almost no noise. And, they would probably do it just as long as the diesel engine, unless of course the boat explodes

kulas - For rough reference.

Our 34' Tollycraft tri cabin, hard chine, 11-degree deadrise planing hull weighs 21K +/- lbs fully loaded. At 4.5 to 5 knots by running on only one of the twin 350 cid / 255 hp carbureted Mercruisers we get shy of 3 nmpg. At 6.5 to 7 knots running both engines we average right at 2 nmpg. (7.58 knots is our boat's calced hull speed). On plane doing 16 to 17 knots we get 1 +/-nmpg

Faster than that... we get OMG nmpg
Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Faster than that... we get OMG nmpg
OMG gpnm...lol
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #38
Art
Guru

Quote:
OMG gpnm...lol
Exactly!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #39
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
How can anyone "enjoy" using a diesel engine more than a gasoline engine? What's to like?
I really liked the sound of my DD892's, especially at idle. I never liked the sound of a gas engine, particularly not high hp gas engines at idle.

My current boat (I have noticed that recently, I have been referring to it as "current", even though I bought it with no intention of ever buying a replacement -- maybe my subconscious is telling me something), has QSM11's, I really marvel at the complete absence of visible exhaust, even under heavy acceleration, so I enjoy that aspect of running them. (The Detroits, in contrast, left their own haze of smog behind the boat.)
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #40
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Mark the question is NOT what's best but ..
" Enjoy using gasoline motors more than diesel"
I view the above as " while you're cruising along running your engine as you usually do which would you "enjoy" most? The gas engine is so much smoother and quieter than a diesel it's a no-brainer for me.

I would not put a gas engine in Willy .. except for one. A three cyl BMW motorcycle engine w fuel injection and gear driven counter rotating crankshaft. It's so smooth I rode the MC for miles in a lower gear w/o realizing it. It's put up w exhaust fans and sensors for that one. And very quiet too. But for resale value loss I probably wouldn't do that either.

MYTravler,
I love the sound of DD's too so can relate to that. But I much prefer the sound of them working .... or even a full throttle no-load run up the rpm scale from idle .. veroom!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote