Your opinion, models to choose from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
In our search for our first trawler we have started to narrow down our selection. Here is the current contender list,
30 Californian LRC
Camano
32 IG Sedan
33 Navigator

All have diesels, all have the appropriate hours. From our perspective each will serve our family. Our needs are very modest as we are stepping up from a 22' C-dory with no pressurized water, no built in toilet, etc. A family of three, two adults and one four year old.

The Navigator is a Jules built boat which was the same as the Californian. However best my research has turned up it is not a cored boat. The IG has the lowest HP rating of all three, followed by the Californian, then Camano, and finally the Navigator having 400 HP.

If anyone has direct experience and would like to weigh in. We are looking for a well built boat and something the family can continue to grow with.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.

My vote would be for the Camano:

Designed and built in North America

Newer than the others

Decent Volvo 200 hp engine. Some are reported to smoke a little but otherwise no vices.

Can cruise at 12-14 kts burning about 7-8 gph but can loaf at 6-7 kts burning about 2 gph.

Layout works for a couple and one child. Any more might be a problem once they get older.

David

In my opinion the Camano is about as well built a boat as you can find. We had one, a 2002 model from 2004 till 2008 and enjoyed it very much, we only sold it to buy a larger boat to do longer trips and wanted side decks. We carried a 9' Watertender dinghy on the swim platform and a 2HP Honda on a mount in the cockpit.

If anyone has direct experience and would like to weigh in. We are looking for a well built boat and something the family can continue to grow with.
I can't find any fault with your list of 4.

A few comments. I cruise with kids, four between 19 and 11. While single-cabin models work now with a 4 year old, they'll be growing up faster than you know. I'd consider a double cabin model.

Now, that brings up a big debate, "classic" (tricabin), pilothouse, or sedan? Sedans are laid out with the cockpit and the main living area (saloon, galley, control station) all on a single level. The engine room is below the main living area. Forward and down are the accommodations. Sedans are very "liveable" and have great flow between the inside and outside areas.

With tri-cabins, the pendulum swings in the opposite direction. The main cabin goes back to combining the saloon, galley and control station, and there are two accommodation cabins: one aft and down, and one forward and down. The engine room is right in the middle of the boat, under the saloon. Tri-cabins are great boats if you have guests, because there are two cabins and two heads, one at each end of the boat. The tradeoff is that you lose the nice connection between the inside and outside. There is no real "cockpit" anymore, and the only place to sit out and have a drink in on the flying bridge on top of the cabin.

With young kids, my vote would be strongly for a sedan-style. In particular, I'd be looking for a mid-size sedan that has two cabins. But there are some nice pilothouse boats as well.

If you can afford it, a Grand Banks 36 would be nice:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=76246&url=

But there are lots of other options:

1983 Ocean Alexander Europa Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1983 Island Gypsy Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1975 35' Roughwater Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1459&url=

1991 Eagle 32 Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

One note... not all tri-cabins are the same configuration described above. Certainly, our trawler is larger - but we have a master under the pilothouse, with two other cabins forward of us.... all accessible from the same staircase - down from the pilot house. A great situation for a family.

Go and visit the boats in question,take the family, you will soon get a feeling of what's works for you.

FWIW, with youngsters on board the boat needs to be child friendly, and one of the best child friendly options on a boat is a walk around deck.

How you're going to use the boat would be a big help. With very little information you'll get to know what we like for boats but not very much about what you need for a boat and what would really be suitable for you as you intend to use it.

Nobody is going to say anything bad about those boats as many here on TF own those boats. You should give us a list of what you intend to do w the boat and what you think you need in a boat .. let us pick the boats and then you chose from our picks.

Mostly is going to be used for the weekend get away in the islands (San Juans). Then we'll add a few weeks here and there up in Canada, Victoria, ETC. Probably travel down to Portland/Seattle several times a year. So a little of this and a little of that. Mainly we are looking forward to having more space, enjoying exploring from the dink and meeting some great people. I think they'll all do that for our family. We are looking for reliable, economical vessels to operate.

Mostly is going to be used for the weekend get away in the islands (San Juans). Then we'll add a few weeks here and there up in Canada, Victoria, ETC. Probably travel down to Portland/Seattle several times a year. So a little of this and a little of that. Mainly we are looking forward to having more space, enjoying exploring from the dink and meeting some great people. I think they'll all do that for our family. We are looking for reliable, economical vessels to operate.

What sort of budget?

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

50-60 but no more than 70 but we''ll stop at 80 couldn't go past 90. Really it's more important to find the right boat. As close to say 60 but with some wiggle room.

I like the list of boats in your opening post and would only add don't be afraid to look at the Tollycraft 30. As for the multi cabin boats and kids thing is a non issue with us. We regularly overnight 2 adults and 2 teens on our single cabin. Coming from the 22 your used to sharing space.

There's a ton of perfectly logical reasons for multi cabin boats but young children are not one of them. Kids will use no more space than will be available on the boat you buy. Wife and I've spent two weeks with four children in a cab over camper before, kids are much more adaptable than the parents.

Stick to your guns on budget and length and don't fall prey to two foot-itus. I fought that fight myself recently as the temptation to look at a little bit larger craft reared its head constantly after deciding my parameters. Before you know it you'll be looking at 45' pilot houses, ask me how I know. :facepalm:

Hopefully third time is the charm. I have tried to load this message here goes.

So we looked at our list of boats this morning. One real dissappointment, but three possibles. One has really stood out in our mind as a today boat and a future boat. That was the Navigator 3300. Galley up, Sedan style, walk through to the swim platform, mid stateroom and forward master, with a dry bathroom. Really had everything on our check list. Looked well taken care of and looked after. Not a great electronics package, but I am willing to look over that if everything else pans out. The nice thing, it appears it's ready to use now and we can tackle most everything this winter after getting some hours under our belt.
Here is a listing of the same make/model. Does anyone have direct experience with Navigator whether it's the same size and or a larger version? What kind of expectations should I have with twin 200 Volvo's? What's the best possible MPG that I could hope to achieve from this hull and engine combo? Anyone have a best guess or knowledge? I have tried to dig up some info but haven't had a bunch of success. Thoughts?
1995 Navigator 3300 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is a statement on the boat,
Built by the Marshall family in Perris, California, Navigator Yachts

Your continued support is greatly appreciated!

One of the boats that I was going to suggest to you was the Campion 310. There are not many for sale, but one has just been listed by someone right here on TF. It's not a diesel, but it's a cute little boat (and you can always repower). It also has a very small cabin under the saloon table -- small for an adult, but exactly the sort of place a kid will love.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/1981-campion-310-adventure-trawler-11126.html

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom