Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: somewhere
Another West Marine thread

After all the discussion recently about West Marine I must say at least they carry things in stock.

We wanted to buy a couple of fender covers, a 75 ft. water supply hose and some Mercruiser engine oil.

Two privately owned local marine supplies had none of these items in stock. Our last stop was at WM. They had these items on the shelf.

Their prices may be higher but they seem to have what you need.

I bought a pair of shorts at WM. The seam on the butt blew out. I returned without a receipt and they replaced them no questions asked.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody but I have no complaints about WM. Yes I buy things online too, just bought a boarding ladder that way. But for the ho hum standard marine items I stop at my local WM and pick them up with no complaint on price. Quality seems fairly good and the service I receive is always top notch.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post

I bought a pair of shorts at WM. The seam on the butt blew out. I returned without a receipt and they replaced them no questions asked.
BB29, if you were wearing them it may explain the fast exchange.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody but I have no complaints about WM. Yes I buy things online too, just bought a boarding ladder that way. But for the ho hum standard marine items I stop at my local WM and pick them up with no complaint on price. Quality seems fairly good and the service I receive is always top notch.
At one of the stores the help didn't even want to help us find things. They just pointed "over there" and went about BSing with coworkers.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

BB29, if you were wearing them it may explain the fast exchange.
I was commando that day...

Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I agree that they get a bad rap...mostly from employees that "think" they know a lot...right up till you ask them a simple question on the products install or use and they gasp like a catfish in a n evaporating lake.

After stopping in quite a few along last winters 2000 mile ICW trip..they are like any chain store...hopefully you have already done your homework, called ahead to see if it's in stock, quizzed the person if they really knew what you were asking for and hopefully have a port supply card so you are paying a reasonable price.

My main complaint with WM and many other marine stores...they carry too much of what I can buy at Walmart cheaper...they need to get rid of the fluff and carry a REALLY good supply of fasteners and plumbing parts in all materials, shapes and sizes.... I don't care if they charge $35 dollars for a simple bronze. 1/2 inch "t"....when I need it I need it and NO ONE else in town would ever dream of carrying it.

I know the business model probably blows me out of the water..but you want a good reputation....sometimes you need to eliminate greed and substitute it with true service.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Yes I buy things online too.

Same here, tho we have been known to buy the wrong things ay mate! hahahaha
Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post

Same here, tho we have been known to buy the wrong things ay mate! hahahaha
You ain't kidding there mate! Sometimes by the time ya pay for shipping a couple times and factor in aggravation it woulda been cheaper and less stress to buy it locally for twice the price. ROFLOL!!! (Sorry gang, kinda an inside joke with Hendo and I)

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Guru

I buy things from Defender. Some nice deck chairs, mustang PFDS, etc.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
You ain't kidding there mate! Sometimes by the time ya pay for shipping a couple times and factor in aggravation it woulda been cheaper and less stress to buy it locally for twice the price. ROFLOL!!! (Sorry gang, kinda an inside joke with Hendo and I)

HAHAHAHA
Old 08-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
You mean that lower unit didn't fit?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this year I've found some things at WM cheaper than I could buy them on line - even Defender, after shipping. I know. I'm a little shocked too. WM was always the most expensive place to buy stuff.

And I agree that they do tend to overstock the high-profit-margin stuff like designer clothes and galley bric-brac, and not enough of the hardware and parts I tend to buy. But they have things that no-one else in the area has, and they can get almost anything in a couple of days. If they can stay anywhere near competitive on the prices, I'll keep coming back.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
We have a large West Marine in Kemah, Tx and they carry just about everything I usually need. No so in the other marine stores in the area. To me it's worth a little more to also know that I have no problem with refunds and exchanges. Heck, even the admiral like shopping in WM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A couple of years ago we were docked at "The Wharf" in Orange Beach, Alabama and the pump in the shower sump went out. The marina store didn't have one, I walked about 2 miles to the WM store they didn't have it in stock, the mgr caled the Panama City store they did have it. So I ordered it, they drove me back to the boat, and about 6-7PM they brought the part to me at the marina, that was about a $50.00 sale.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I've bought allot, and will continue to shop at WM, even online.

They just went from a small store in Anchorage, Alaska to a giagantic store, about the same size as the large ones I've seen in the lower 48 states, and it is Fantastic!!

Last week I needed a new Magma regulator, and four 15" white fenders, and some other stuff, and the new bigger store had it all in stock! Wonderful!

It costs me more in time and hassle trying to shop around for a slightly lower price than its worth.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
They also stock a larger selection of boating magazines than Barnes and Noble.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #17

City: Isle of Palms
Port Supply

For me its usually a matter of first checking Defender's price (which is usually lower) and then titrating the shipping charges against the sales tax. Unless its a "need it now item" I go with the lower of the two prices, Defender vs. WM.
Since almost every boater has access to a Port Supply card, it puzzles me as to why WM doesn't offer Port Supply prices to all regular customers........ they would still make a handsome profit and increase their volume of sales.

Jim Smiley
GB 36 SMILES
Isle of Palms, SC
SMILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
I'm confused. How does almost every boater have access to a Port Supply Card? Enlighten us, I'm sure others would like to know.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #19

City: Isle of Palms
Well, maybe I assumed incorrectly concerning access to a Port Supply card, but I have heard that folks (not me) have been known to dummy up a boating business to qualify for a Port Supply card and others have small marine-related businesses and do business with the Port Supply Division of West Marine. I understand that the size of a business' Port Supply Discount is a function of the number of dollars in business the do each year with Port Supply, so most who have a Port Supply account are more than willing to make purchases for friends and friends of friends to increase their business volume and hence their discount. I've just told you all I know, I don't know any more details and I don't have a Port Supply card. I have made purchases through a friend's Port Supply account. West advertizes Port Supply as the wholesale division of their operation, but in reality it is more of a variable discount from catalog prices division.

Jim
SMILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

You mean that lower unit didn't fit?
No. Fit like a glove. Something else entirely.