Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #121
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Eric - Your babby's got good looken booty!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #122
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Willy's baaatumm. Willy's baaatumm.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #123
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Kinda tubby but w the big rudder following seas are a walk on the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71262.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	10926  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #124
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
KJ,
If you understood what the QBBL is then you'd know it would be 0 degrees.

The planing hull you presented is the opposite ........straight.

Thank you for the explanation (again), it's perfectly clear to me now.

BTW, the speedboat was meant to be the obvious antithesis of a FD gal.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #125
Art
Guru

Eric - With that boat's smooth butt and that giant size rudder you could patent "following seas" as the 21st Century boating new-energy-source!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #126

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: HOA
Vessel Model: Long-cours.62
Our hull form

photos-annonce
structures-et-cotes

And , may be one day ,the next evolution :
structures-et-cotes

What is the maximum size for an photo ?
I can't insert one may be too big ?
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #127
Guru

longcours62,
I think you're from Norway and I've seen your boat lines on boatdesign.net. I love both the lines drawing boats and the one that is in your avatar. The latter is a different boat than the one in drawings (I think). About the boats in the lines drawings I'd say they are 96% full displacement. Too much transom immersed to be 100%. But w such a low PC (prismatic coefficient (low = skinny on the ends)) it should have the same (or nearly so) resistance a bit below hull speed as a 100% FD hull. Perhaps this is better than Dashew's boat. Should be easily driven a bit over hull speed also. Just think'in out loud here. Looks like a sailboat designer designed it. Would make a wonderful trawler for these times of costly fuel. It may pitch more than a boat w fuller ends (higher PC) but the efficiency should be well worth it. Seems to me I knew a sailboat, probably a class boat that had almost exactly the same lines including the narrow flat bottom near the keel.
Go to the info on posting to get the photo info you need. Looks like the boat in the avatar has a warped bottom aft......rather straight QBBL's near the chine and steeper by the keel. However that keeps the chine under the WL aft and produces a quiet boat at rest. Lets see some pics of the avatar boat from aft when hauled out.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #128
Art
Guru

longcourse62

Might be of help

Sizing Pictures: Following works for more than one format

Open pict
Right click on pict
Punch EDIT at top of box
Punch IMAGE on top line
Punch STRETCH/SKEW in box
Change BOTH STRETCH #ís from 100% to 20% (lower the percent = lower the pict size Ė adjust accordingly)
Press OK
DONíT TOUCH SKEW Ė Unless you want pict to become dimensionally ďskewedĒ!
Close picture and punch YES when box appears
Open pict and right click Ė punch PROPERTIES Ė check pict KB size

Adjust again if needed. As long as you change BOTH STRETCH #íS equally (and donít mess with skew) you can enlarge or reduce pict to whatever size you desire without distortion of items in the pictís ratios.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #129
Scraping Paint

City: -
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcours62;

What is the maximum size for an photo ?
I can't insert one may be too big ?
On the old forum I believe the maximum photo attachment size was 2.5 mb. On the new forum it's smaller, 195 kb for a jpg file. Which I guess might explain why thumbnail photos attached to posts blow up less sharp on this version of the forum than on the first version.

I run everything through Photoshop so I resize any photos I'm going to include in a post to about 900 pixels wide. This is down from a camera original size of about 6,000 pixels wide and the jpg file size goes from 5 to 7 mb to less than 1 mb.

This is the same size setting I used on the old forum but photos "blew up" much sharper on that forum. I've even posted the same photo I've used on the old forum and they are noticeably less sharp here now. So it's not my photo or my computer. I assume there's some compression on photos on the new forum that wasn't there on the old one.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #130

The actual hull lines

of our boat .
The designer who make the hull lines is Joubert, well know in France but
I don't know if also 'over seas'...
The original drawing was for a motor "motor sailor" with no transom, hull deeper (little) and chine 'higher'
The second photo was taken at around 11,4 knt the 'maximum' reasonable speed , booth engines at 2300 rpm.
More economic at 1850 rpm speed 9,8 knots and 1,78 lt per nm
and 'very' (never enough ) on one engine at 1500 rpm speed 7 kn and
0,82lt per nm .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caracteristiquesection[1].JPG
Views:	65
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	11064   Click image for larger version

Name:	sil.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	11065  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #131

One photo where we can see transom

and appendices.
The pitching is not a problem at all we 'concentrate the weight but the the roll it is not the same because we have a ( too ?!) great stability (like a sail boat ) and the period of roll is also like a sail boat ...without mast
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img020[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	11066  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #132
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Looks like a planing or semi-planing hull to me. Can't tell from the pics, but appears to have a completely flat hull for most of it's length. The twin keel (of sorts) probably adds to it's stability.
That style hull and superstructure is almost identical to the small inland crew boats here on the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #133
Guru

Good morning 62,
Pictures can be so deceiving. The stern is a lot narrower that it looks in the pics and the bottom is not nearly as flat as it looks in the pics. Your'e right Tony but the lines drawing tells it all. I love your avatar picture longcourse. It's interesting to see the bow wave coming back boiling up under the stern. And the house is so low and trim. Wish more trawlers were more like that. It's strange.....to get a really good boat most often one has to build it himself. How much power do you have in her and what is the working displacement longcourse?

PS....I can see now how the pitching is fully controlled. Both ends are fuller than I had thought.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #134
Guru

Another thing I like about this boat is the twin screws and single CL rudder. Most power boats have a great deal of propwash driving hard against the rudder so the net effect is that the rudder tries to pull the boat back. Of course one needs to create more propwash to overcome this ect so more efficiency is clearly the result of the twin screw single rudder installation. The downside of course is that a larger rudder is required without the aid of the propwash. This arrangement should be smoother while going relatively straight as the propwash isn't shaking the propeller. I wonder what the designer's motive was for this arrangement on this boat.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #135
Scraping Paint

So Eric, am I blind or what? Where are the props on this boat? Or have they been removed in the Travelift and would be on the ends of what look sort of like shafts emerging from the twin "keels" more or less amidships? If so, then I assume the "keels" are to protect the props. With the fin ahead of the rudder, this makes a tripod, so I wonder if this boat is intended to go aground on the big tides they have in the North Sea and sit on the hard every time the tide goes out? It's a pretty common arrangement on sailboats in that part of the world, which have side-by-side keels that act as a stand when the tide goes out from under them.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #136
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I find the propwash very desirable to magnify rudder effectiveness and have little concern with the alleged "pulling back."

Eric, did you mean to say "propwash isn't shaking the rudder" rather than shaking the propeller? Haven't experienced that, but then my rudder (like yours) is supported both top and bottom.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #137
Scraping Paint

Our rudders don't "shake" either, Mark, and they are suspended spade rudders, not supported rudders like yours. The only time we get rudder buffetting is when we have to tie off a shaft because of a precautionary engine shut-down. The locked prop puts out a tremendous amount of turbulence and this buffets the rudder behind it which of course is connected to the other rudder and the steering system. So the wheel wiggles and jerks a bit.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #138

I will try give some details

First all we got from the designer are the on the two pic , just list of numbers.
After that I do all the rest with my wife (may be I am not clear , don't misunderstand !)
We choose just one ruder for the raison wrotte by you before, and also one
rudder is 'less' less job , money, but deeper.
We choose also a quiet big surface of the rudder for keep a good maneuvrablity a small speed (for exemple when we are under our hudge sail plan)
For the hp we have two too bigs engines 2 x 215 hp in reality at 9,8 knts
we 'use' less than 100 hp
we explain here why finaly we fit this engines :
Motorisation - Le blog de long-cours
But sorry again in French , but when you read me you clearly understand why !!
Twin engines of 110/130 hp are clearly enought for our use
with ratio 3/1 for gearbox.
Our actual propellers (not on the photo taken when the unfinished hull arrive at La Rochelle) are 4 blades and 27'X27' , we fill something is wrong with this propellers : they don't take enought hp if we compare with propeller curve given by Perkins....and after few years we don't get any answer from the makers ...
The hp taken by this propeller is exactly the propeller curve of the 130 h Perkins and we have the 215 C.
I could be better to get this power with less rpm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28-07-2011 14;05;24.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	11080   Click image for larger version

Name:	28-07-2011 14;07;23.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	11081  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #139

Our displacement is

33 T at (very) full load (few hundreds kgs of books , tools , wood, spares ... and mess, we living on board since 2003)
Our D/L is around 150
When I wrotte 100 hp at 9,8 knts it is the total (50 x 2)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #140
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Our rudders don't "shake" either, Mark, and they are suspended spade rudders, not supported rudders like yours. The only time we get rudder buffetting is when we have to tie off a shaft because of a precautionary engine shut-down. The locked prop puts out a tremendous amount of turbulence and this buffets the rudder behind it which of course is connected to the other rudder and the steering system. So the wheel wiggles and jerks a bit.
Marin - I agree with you. Our Tolly rudders are similar design to your GB's and don't "shake" during normal operations.

Did your precautionary engine shut-down last for many hours... to where you felt it necessary to tie off a shaft for trany protection? Won't your trany let you free wheel for a period of time at slower speeds with no internal damage? Our 71C BW trany are (according to the factory) OK with extended time of freewheeling prop as long as boat is kept under 8 knts speed. Iíve not needed to run with engine shut down due to precautionary measure... but we do at times run at around 6 knts with one engine shut down - for fuel economy (right at 2 gph). I take care to alternate engine use each hour just to be sure that even though the BW factory says itís OK... I donít push the envelope of trany internal lubrication. With one prop under power and one in freewheel, at 6 knts, I donít notice any rudder vibration/shaking. Guess, as you say, turbulence from locked prop could cause some rudder vibration. Iíll get ambitious and test that some day! - Art