Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Ya know, I'm sittin' here waiting for MurrayM to pop up to tell us about his first time on a boat and maybe who she was...

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Conception, in the Dismal Swamp canal. It was very cold.

Birth: Forward cabin, starboard side bunk. I've always been right.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:40 AM   #23
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Tom B-my brother was a counselor at Camp Seagull during the summers of '71-'73!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Don't remember infancy boating, but I'm guessing I was around 8-10 or so when first driving the jon boat when we ran the trot lines for catfish, about 4x/day in "high" season.

-Chris
Old 03-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
First time on a boat was inside mom on the Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts ferry. Repeated the trip at 10 months and each year after for the next 25 years.

Apparently I pestered my parents enough at age 3 for them to let me go on their friends 30' sailboat. Vividly remember going sailing on that windy day and wondering why he couldn't keep the deck level. Guess they thought that would make me a land lover like them. Didn't quite work out that way.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Does poling yourself around the big (well it seemed big back then) farm dam in a 3' x 4' packing case count as boating..?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Diver;
I pestered my parents enough at age 3 for them to let me go on theirfriends 30' sailboat. Vividly remember going sailing on that windy day andwondering why he couldn't keep the deck level.
I think it's cool that several here were pretty much born in the salt chuck.

The vividness of those early memories, while not necessarily accurate, are vivid none the less. I can still look waaaay up to the bow of that seine boat, Hillicum. She might have only been 50-60 feet, I don't know, but size to a 5 year old...so grand.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I am sure that my earliest memories are not near the first times. I recall riding on my Dad's shoulders as we forded a stream on our hunt for the elusive Dolly Varden, and at about the same age, so pretty young, rowing along singing fishing songs while towing a gang troll in Loon Lake (Haney BC). Good memories, Dad never could sing. Rental boats gave way to homebuilt, so the memories develop a more accurate timeline.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I was the baby of the family. My mom and dad bought a boat when I was about five...and they named it after me. The "John-O". That is what they called me. SO my first boat ride was on a boat named after me...at the age of 5. I was doomed from the get go...I stood no chance. Boats would be forever a part of my life!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Wow...this is so cool So many of you in olden days, in some form of boat related to commercial fishing or logging or other things, in small boats, just so interesting to hear. Different worlds. Might be interesting if you think of your children and grandchildren and their first times and how it changed generation to generation.

I did a quick survey of those around us and close to us that we know the answer for. 60 year old male Captain-on his father's charter fishing boat off Hatteras. For his granddaughter who is 20, her first was his charter boat.

50 year old female, born in Spain, grew up in far different world from the rest of us-the boat was Christina. Easy for her to remember since that's her name. She was only 3 or 4. Actually the tender to get to Christina. She thought it was named after her and was so disappointed when she found out it was named after Onassis' daughter. However, Christina Onassis was very nice to her and told her all Christina's had to stick together. She met, basically just shook hands, Jackie, but had no idea the significance of who she was, was just confused that Christina was Onassis' daughter and Jackie his wife, but Jackie wasn't her mother.

32 year old female, daughter of the above Christina-she thinks she was about 2, the first time, the tour boat that does day cruises around NYC. She made her parents take her back over and over. Then went to her grandparents' in Spain and went out on a yacht, she can't remember anything else about. However, last time she was in NY, she and her mom took the tour boat around the city.

32 year old friend from FL, it was a GB from Chitwood. Then her father bought a GB and has owned one since.

29 year old female. It was our boat here. 28 year old female, it was our boat on the lake in NC. 20 year old female, she asked at maritime school what jobs on boats were like and they arranged for her to go out on their training boat for a day.

41 year old and 27 year old females. With both it was small fishing boats with their parents on small country ponds in NC. Just jogged Hubby's memory and now he says that may have been his first too, instead of the lake.

Then sadly, two of our closest friends, more like grandparents to us even if nowhere near old enough. 61 and 58 years old, moved with us from NC. He wasn't allowed near the water since he didn't know how to swim. There's the obvious point of how are you going to learn. Her first time was when she was young and it was a church camp with canoes and there was a tragedy. Neither of them ever got on a boat again and still worry about us every time we do. They won't get in a pool either.

Then back to positive. Our niece. Omg I love her. Granddaughter of the parents we adopted as ours just over 15 years ago and daughter of the sister we adopted as ours. She's been on for a couple of hours, short trips, watched very close. But on her 3rd birthday, we're going to take her out for a longer trip and let her spend the night the first time on a boat. Then she'll spend regular time on the water with her Auntie and Uncle. She's half way to that birthday now.

I thank you all so much for sharing your stories.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey B;
So many of you in olden days, in some form of boat related to commercial fishing or logging or other things, in small boats...Different worlds.
Those folks grew up with boats as a necessity, not a toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
He wasn't allowed near the water since he didn't know how to swim. Her first time was when she was young...there was a tragedy. Neither of them ever got on a boat again and still worry about us every time we do. They won't get in a pool either.
The tragedy is when you allow those things to cripple you for life. A friend of 72 doesn't swim a lick but every summer for the past 20 years of travel up the BC coast has donned a life jacket daily and jumped in for a thrash around.

I saw my first floater at age 4, pulled from under a log boom with a pike pole and left on the float until an available boat could transport him to the morgue in Alert Bay. As vivid a memory and part of life as the old Easthope gillnetters.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Those folks grew up with boats as a necessity, not a toy.

The tragedy is when you allow those things to cripple you for life. A friend of 72 doesn't swim a lick but every summer for the past 20 years of travel up the BC coast has donned a life jacket daily and jumped in for a thrash around.
Wifey B: A lot was how the adults reacted. In her case, it was a church camp and it dominated their lives for some time. Parents up in arms. The parents of the child that died even sued the church. No more camp. Sounds like the parents handled it poorly and instead of comforting the kids, further scared them. All the parents were scared of their kids going near the water so all the kids were scared. Guess that's where I'm lucky. I never listened to my parents on anything.

They never told any of the neighbors except us. They love living on the water, just not getting in a boat and going anywhere. We mentioned getting help, counseling, but they said they would if they were younger but at their ages they were happy and content and just didn't have a strong desire to try to change it. They miss us when we're away but they love taking care of our place for us when we're away. Then they get excited when we return. Her comment was that their life was perfect today and they were comfortable accepting it as it was. She even said that they could probably go on the boat with us and be ok and feel safe, that they trust us that much, but very unlikely they'd truly enjoy it like we do. I think she may have been right there. I know people scared of flying get to where they can do it, but it never becomes something they enjoy. Fact is, they don't need to be boaters to enjoy life. I think sometimes we forget that others don't have to enjoy the same things we do in life.

Most of us have some form of phobia and most have a deep rooted cause or origination.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: West Coast
My back-east cousin's families all had lake boats at their places "up north", which I visited many summers. I saw a picture of myself as a baby on one of them, and my earliest memories were on those boats. My parents didn't care for boats (or hunting or fishing or any of the fun things my back-east cousins spent their time doing -- probably why my parents moved west). At about 7 years old, I bought a plastic inflatable in which I spent hours floating in our swimming pool, imagining that I was far off shore (not even on a lake) fishing.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
Around 1961 I was 4ish I guess. My dad had a Montgomery Wards, aluminum boat, maybe 8-10'.

The kind of boat, standing up in was impossible, without flipping the dam thing over.
We would fish mountain lakes, and the tiny backwater sloughs of the Calif Delta, some of which have silted over, and are gone.

About the same era, my Grandpa had a [what I thought to be] large wooden yacht, berthed in Pittsburg Ca. We would spend a Sat or Sunday out all day fishing. The boat would chug, chug, chug along slowly. Much like an old pumping sound. They [my dad and grandpa] would sit there all day, patiently waiting, while I was climbing the "walls" ......Would give anything to go back and do it again.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I don't remember the first, first time. I remember in college, going to Charleston with a sorority sister and going on her dad's ski boat. I think it was Memorial Day weekend. I remember her dad helping someone else on the water and them trying to pay him. He said that boaters help each other, and refused the money. That has always stuck with me.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 AM   #36
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Early 50's I was about 2. Dad and mom rented a row boat on some calm canal; where I've not a clue! Pretty good size. It held four of us, including my 7 year older brother. I vividly recall how much I loved hanging over the side and dabbling my fingers in the water. I was struck from that point on. In months Dad had our own O/B boat with small cabin. From there to now has been just a Real-Big-Blink! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
5 years old on my uncles wood cuddy cabin. We broke down and had to be towed back. Mom captured the trip on the 8mm camera.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #38

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
For me it was in 1968 and my dad who had just come ashore from working on big ships was driving harbour workboats. Sydney harbour (Australia) would be so full of ships that they had to anchor offshore and wait till berths became available to unload.
Dad took me one night for a offshore crew pickup,I was 5 and it's still a vivid memory, we went out empty and the boat rocked so much I thought it would roll over any second,I couldn't see a thing outside the windows just blackness.My Dad didn't seem fussed at all,I was counting lifejackets.
The ship we went to seemed about a mile high,we picked up a dozen big burly blokes who didn't seem to notice the rocking at all.They laughed and joked all the was back.
After that night I was rarely scared on a boat,just occasionally.
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. "So many of you in olden days..." Good grief! You make it sound like we all went out with the tribe in the dugout to hunt for woolly mammoths.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. WB. "So many of you in olden days..." Good grief! You make it sound like we all went out with the tribe in the dugout to hunt for woolly mammoths.
Well!!??

BTW - As a tribe - we always hunted tuna, not hairy, smelly Mammoth!

Kidding aside.... One item I notice in the posts is how well many if not all of us "vividly" recall our 1st "on a boat" "in the water" experience. Shows how impressive boat[ing]/water[borne] reality is to young minds. There are usually only a handful of experiences in life where the initial feeling never really leaves and becomes etched in our minds. Obviously our first boat[ing]/water[borne] reality is one of those instances.

Seeing as we on this thread became immediately attracted (addicted??) to boat and water... On the other hand: I can't help but wonder how and if those (others) felt any urge... who had a boat/water first experience and did not like it such as we did?? Guess answer to that is inconsequential, and, we'll never know - but oh well - who cares anyway!! Our "family" of boat/water loving folks are who I [we] really want to hang-out with... till we can't breath no-mo!

WB - TY 4 this interesting thread. Shows you're always thinking, with multi dimensional synapse "snaps" a floaten in yer brain. Some day you too will become an old boater... but... don't rush it, ever!!

Happy Boat Luven/Liven Daze! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote