your favorite, on-water restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't been there in years but there was a place, El Camaron Dorado, at Playa Conchal in Costa Rica. Right on the beach, fresh Corvina ceviche, seafood soup, then a split down the middle spiny lobster grilled over charcoal, and ice cold cerveza Imperial.
That was hard to beat, but there are too many great ones to list.

Last edited:
Donsan Wrote: "So, you're not going to recommend Corky Bell's on the St Johns in East Palatka?"

Been there. Beautiful setting, good docks, but can't recommend the restaurant.

Sailor of Fortune wrote, "King fish grill at Comachee cove Marina (St Augustine) foods great and seems to be consistent."

Agree. As a restaurant it may not quite measure up to the nearby Cap's, but it is indeed consistently good, and the docks are excellent. On that point it crushes Cap's.

While we're talking about this part of NE Florida, I really like Barbara Jeans (15 S Roscoe Blvd, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082), but even though it's right smack on the ICW, it's maddeningly useless to boaters. No dock, no dinghy landing, no place to anchor. But an eclectic menu and consistently excellent, FWIW. If people could go by boat, that place would kill.

Old-town Petaluma, adjacent to the turning basin, has numerous restaurants of various cuisines within several blocks. All sampled were good.

The Willy-T, Norman Island BVI. The food is OK but the bar and atmosphere needs to be experienced by every cruiser.

img_494319_0_37b8b7033cee9676583afcb41dafbf9d.jpg

No idea what this place was called, and I don't remember anything about the food. Back when I was a cadet on the training ship, we called on Cesme, Turkey, and I found this magical place. You could jump out of your seat and into the sea for a quick swim if you wanted to.

Attachments

• Cesme (31).jpg
    Cesme (31).jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 60
  • HPIM1035.jpg
    HPIM1035.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 74
Ok, well to even things up a bit with an Aussie example, mine is Harrigan's Irish pub and restaurant, the Drift Inn, at the Calypso Bay Marina, Moreton Bay, near Brisbane.
My avatar pic is Lotus tied up at one of their pontoons. We took our son and his family there for dinner the last time they visited from London. Hence the kids in evidence. :thumb:

http://www.calypsobay.com.au/your-community/harrigan-s-drift-inn

Several years ago, before we moved our Bayliner 3888 from Anacortes to Los Angeles, we visited Victoria, B.C. In the inner harbor, right on the pier, there was a shipping container ingeniously transformed into a take out restaurant. Their specialty was fish and seafood and it was absolutely delicious! From the moment they opened till closing there was a forty five minute line. It was come as you are casual and there was no seating but for the benches on the pier but the food was great!

Red Fish Blue Fish

I used to like to stop at Ivars Salmon House on the north end of Lake Union in Seattle. It may have changed since that was 40 years ago.

Red Fish in Morehead City NC. Outstanding food and great service. Not on the water but you can see it. Short walk from any of the marinas in Morehead City. Morehead City Yacht Basin is our favorite.

LOT'S of good places listed here. Once my refit is done and I'm back on the water I will be visiting as many as I can.

Several years ago, before we moved our Bayliner 3888 from Anacortes to Los Angeles, we visited Victoria, B.C. In the inner harbor, right on the pier, there was a shipping container ingeniously transformed into a take out restaurant. Their specialty was fish and seafood and it was absolutely delicious! From the moment they opened till closing there was a forty five minute line. It was come as you are casual and there was no seating but for the benches on the pier but the food was great!

Red Fish Blue Fish

Yes, I've eaten there and you described it perfectly!

The Jolly Roger in Oceanside Harbor, Kalifornia, an excellent view of the harbor and "1/2 off" specials every month.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 47
palm.jpg

Lil Palm Island in the Keys,

images.jpgPricey but oh so good!

One of the finest restaurants that I've been to....Bacon's in Cap D'antibe in
the South of France.

Sam's Cafe in Tiburon CA is ours. They no longer have abalone sandwiches which my father enjoyed in the 1960s in our sailboat-racing days (I preferred a hamburger in my teens), but otherwise we have no modern complaint.

Where we were living and boating in SF Bay Sam's was always a top choice.

Really like Guisti's in the California Delta, it's a lively place with great food. They were featured several years ago on the Food Channel show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Our favorite dish is the Calamari Steak.

Attachments

• guisti 2.jpg
    guisti 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Guisti 1.jpg
    Guisti 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 52
My favorite is the http://www.tidestavern.com/ in Gig Harbor, Washington. "The Tides" as it is known locally is not as old as many (1973) but it has become a local institution. Great dock for patrons and great classic bar food and drink.

They don't exist here :cry:then again, anchorages are usually empty :thumb:

a little place in the North Sound BVI, Saba Rock bar and eats. If your on a cat get a mooring ball right up close, a short dingy ride after cocktails :angel: Cool place

a little place in the North Sound BVI, Saba Rock bar and eats. If your on a cat get a mooring ball right up close, a short dingy ride after cocktails :angel: Cool place

My favorite "Happy Hour" in the BVIs.

Another vote for Henry's. We tried both locations and the Pickerel was fantastic both times. The location is hard to beat also.

Rafe

in the Chesapeake: Harris' in Kent Narrows, the Crab Claw in St. Michael's, Chesapeake Inn in Chesapeake City.
In Aruba: Barefoot

John

San Diego

Coasterra on Harbor Island with great views of downtown San Diego across the bay.

They don't exist here :cry:then again, anchorages are usually empty :thumb:

I'm in the same boat Murray. The only on-water restaurants with boat access around here are at my marina.

....but I'm ok with cooking up a freshly caught snapper or some King George whiting on a deserted beach campfire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom