Your favorite sunken boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here are some of mine.

This long-sunken (it's on the chart) sailboat reminds/warns one of the shallow waters in the middle of Suisun Bay:

img_179447_0_8b1cb8f975e75e8f8bfa748dcbcada1d.jpg

The remains of this vessel fit well into the rural river bank (Napa River):

232323232%7Ffp73443%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A336%3A6336nu0mrj

This one (on the right) helps me gauge water depth. Fortunately, it is consistent with the atmosphere of the shoreline with its abandoned flour mill (Mare Island Strait):

img_179447_2_68c2de00f75743b034e0c5951a8d9891.jpg

Last edited:
All my favorite sunken boats require scuba gear to go see. :) Know that's not what you meant, but then I usually catch dinner when I go see my favorites, :D how about you. :rofl::hide:

Ted

This one is in Antarctica. The picture gives me the willies.
photo_376902
photo_376902

Attachments

• 376902.jpg
    376902.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 308
Near Marco Island, FL if I remember correctly

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 173
While sea kayaking around Cape Caution on the coast of British Columbia we came across the battered remains of a barge that must have broken free or been cut loose during a storm.

Only about 1/4 of it remained and all of it was in the trees, well above and back from the high tide line. It was mind blowing to consider how violent the sea state must have been to break up the barge and to lift and push so much mass that height and distance.

I spent a lot of time over the past years searching for wrecks in the Pacific Northwest. One of my favorites was locating Harold Stephens very famous Schooner the Third Sea. It is a 71' concrete hulled sailboat that was the subject of his book "The Last Voyage, the Story of Schooner Third Sea".

The “Papa Doc”.

This is an old shrimp boat that sank during a storm in 1968 off Grand Bahama Island while carrying mercenaries in an attempt to overthrow Francois “Papa Doc” Duvalier in Haiti. Ammunition clips were still being found among the coral heads as recently as ten years ago.

I had several reef sharks join me while I was diving on this wreck. KJ

1429-albums159-picture712.jpg

1429-albums159-picture713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While sea kayaking around Cape Caution on the coast of British Columbia we came across the battered remains of a barge that must have broken free or been cut loose during a storm.

Only about 1/4 of it remained and all of it was in the trees, well above and back from the high tide line. It was mind blowing to consider how violent the sea state must have been to break up the barge and to lift and push so much mass that height and distance.

That barge was there when I used to go past in on the way to the central coast/north coast to go commercial fishing. I believe it's loss is detailed in the book "Bull of the Woods", a story of Gordon Gibson back in the hey-days...

Jaws "Orca", grounded and rotting in Menemsha Pond 2007. Probably gone my now.

And this qualifies as well. The "Bounty" coming up West Passage, Narragansett last July.

Attachments

• Jaws_Orca.jpg
    Jaws_Orca.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0798.jpg
    DSCN0798.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 127
Sinking boats ?

Not really a favorite subject but these pics are kinda interesting. From a while back and some of the forum members have seen these before. Up and out she comes ! :socool:

Attachments

• 961.JPG
    961.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 957.JPG
    957.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 953.JPG
    953.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 117
  • 941.JPG
    941.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 933.JPG
    933.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 110
HMCS Columbia, scuttled off of Maude island BC (near Seymour Narrows) in 1996 for use as an artificial reef for divers. Image from a Simrad Structurescan.

Attachments

• DSC_0354.jpg
    DSC_0354.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 131
The Ning Po, a huge Chinese junk built in the 1750's, now sitting on the bottom of Catalina Harbor, with just her ribs sticking up out of the water at low tide. She took part in a rebellion against the emperor, (crew of 60 beheaded), piracy and slavery.
The museum in Avalon has artifacts from the vessel, including a beheading sword.
Don't know what kind of wood they used to have lasted so long, but I'm guessing teak.

The one that I owe way more money on than it is worth!!!!!

Not realy sunken...

Attachments

• AB_Utility_Boat.jpg
    AB_Utility_Boat.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 645
This one is in Antarctica. The picture gives me the willies.
photo_376902
photo_376902

Willies, yes, but I LOVE that picture. My daughter, on the other hand, has decided that she would rather not take our boat-- whatever boat that may end up being-- to Antarctica.

Willies, yes, but I LOVE that picture. My daughter, on the other hand, has decided that she would rather not take our boat-- whatever boat that may end up being-- to Antarctica.
I'd agree with your daughter on that call. That place is so isolated and foreboding, then the sunken boat just makes it worse.

Back
Top Bottom