Your Best Technique or Invention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer 100 feet of yellow polypropylene attaching the anchor to the locker. If you need to cut it and don't have time to get a float on it...it still floats to retrieve when able.

Now I'm wondering if my chain is actually attached to anything.

I prefer 100 feet of yellow polypropylene attaching the anchor to the locker. If you need to cut it and don't have time to get a float on it...it still floats to retrieve when able.

Yeah that's great leave it splayed out so the next boat through there can catch it in their prop. I was that "next boat" once; the line got all gunged over and was not visible. IMO, a really bad idea, but I'm obviously prejudiced.

We have enough line connecting the last link of our all-chain rode to the eye-bolt in the chain locker with enough line to let the line appear on deck where it can be cut if we have to let the chain run out and let it go. The line is also stout enough to take the shock without breaking if the chain should run out accidentally.

Yeah that's great leave it splayed out so the next boat through there can catch it in their prop. I was that "next boat" once; the line got all gunged over and was not visible. IMO, a really bad idea, but I'm obviously prejudiced.

The times that you have to cut so quick and can't tie on a bouy are like one in a trillion like all the other crap you all post and worry about. It would have to be pretty extreme conditions that hopefully I just avoid.

I hope I never have to cut...haven't in 50 years..but some boaters I encounter every summer that have to when I am assistance towing.

If I cant attach a buoy...like I said....the chances I'll be back there before anyone else to pick up my $1000 worth of anchor and chain is pretty good....

So many profess here being so eagle eyed that they don't hit stuff or go aground...my poly souldnt be a big threat any more than the trillion crab/lobster traps all over the place pulled under water at high tide.

Seriously....

Not for nothing, but if I thought my chain locker could fit a 'spare 100' of polypro, I'd add another 50' of chain instead. I can get the anchor back if I try. But I'd like to stay put more and not worry about chafe.

But that's opening up the pandoras box of anchor sentinal and scope thread, won't go there!

One of the best things the PO installed was a deck washdown pump to wash the chain off. That and a door mat scrunchy thingy to scrub the chain off as it comes in to loosen up the mud and sand. Davis Gunkbuster.JPG

Works 'OK' but sometimes you just have to toss the chain around a bit. Plus squirting it with the nozzle of the washdown pump.

Last edited:
Seriously....

I was going to debate you on this but :surrender: you're right.

If I do come across that line though, maybe I'll have a "$1000 worth of anchor and chain." Hmm...looked abandoned to me.

Or maybe I just haul the poly up and cut it off at the chain to remove the hazard.

Last edited:
Oh, this rule got to my wife a little too late:

"Never get your fingers inside the loop of a dock line."

Quick action, nine stitches and a lot of luck saved her finger tip.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 121
RT, that's gonna be a hard one to top. ROFL, LMAO!

We have enough line connecting the last link of our all-chain rode to the eye-bolt in the chain locker with enough line to let the line appear on deck where it can be cut if we have to let the chain run out and let it go. The line is also stout enough to take the shock without breaking if the chain should run out accidentally.

That is a great idea. I will take that and use it. Of course, I already am as I have 90 feet of chain and then at least that much more line beyond that. However, I really like that idea.

Also to whomever suggested attaching the snubber beyond the anchor roller. I have not done that but will from now on.

Dave

RT, that's gonna be a hard one to top. ROFL, LMAO!

We can't top RT - Just have to go with his flow. He's an interesting fellow... as are many persons on this forum. RT being one of the more interesting! :socool:

Greetings,
Slight thread drift...Whilst my post #99 WAS meant in a comedic fashion the photo of Ms. rc's mate is a VERY graphic and sobering reminder that his/her advice is not to be taken lightly as is the advice given by Mr. M (post #66) to not use body parts as fenders/bumpers and one hand always for yourself with a stout handhold.
Now, back to wizard ideas and tips...

Always put everything away or fastened in place before leaving the dock. This includes stuff on deck.

Extremely well said, RT. How is it that I seem to deal with injuries just fine but fixed injuries give me the heebee-jeebees? Shocking (but important) post, rclarke!

Extremely well said, RT. How is it that I seem to deal with injuries just fine but fixed injuries give me the heebee-jeebees?

Shocking (but important) post, rclarke!

Made my Linda sit up and take notice... gals and their nails don't cha know! :popcorn:

That is a great idea. I will take that and use it. Of course, I already am as I have 90 feet of chain and then at least that much more line beyond that.

If you have a combination rode I don't see any value in fastening the end of the rode to ring or eyebolt in thr chain locker with another line. If for some reason you need to let the whole thing go simply cut the rode itself.

The times that you have to cut so quick and can't tie on a bouy are like one in a trillion like all the other crap you all post and worry about. It would have to be pretty extreme conditions that hopefully I just avoid.

I hope I never have to cut...haven't in 50 years..but some boaters I encounter every summer that have to when I am assistance towing.

If I cant attach a buoy...like I said....the chances I'll be back there before anyone else to pick up my $1000 worth of anchor and chain is pretty good....

So many profess here being so eagle eyed that they don't hit stuff or go aground...my poly souldnt be a big threat any more than the trillion crab/lobster traps all over the place pulled under water at high tide.

Seriously....

Well I was seriously pissed when a big long hank of poly got wrapped around my prop; it was the kind used for towing and watersports (or what you describe), not traps. There is a huge difference between a crab trap with the line going directly from buoy to trap, or strings of traps that are weighted. And they have nice little buoys that tell you it's there.

Learn how to set a mark on your chartplotter or GPS rather than create your own private hazard to navigation. Or start to use an anchor buoy. Or both. How about some common sense and courtesy out there?

When I was a kid around 14 or 15, my stepdad would let me dock our boat. We had a 28 foot express/cabin cruiser with twin I/O drives. I got pretty good at it, and really loved doing it. I don't remember messing up too badly, and I don't think I ever caused any damage.

I remember the first time he asked me to back it in. I was nervous, but excited. I was about halfway through my approach, and asked him if he had any tips. He said 'yeah, back it in.' and I did. Some good advice there.

This is a bit embarrassing, but I had a bit of a 'oh... Duh!' moment shortly after getting my boat. (One of several hundred such moments, actually) At first, when I wanted to steer on something, I'd line my spot light or anchor up with it, thinking 'that makes sense, those things are on my centerline.' Of course they are, but the helm isn't. It's offset to starboard. So I was off 10 degrees all the time.

For the first few months I had the boat, I was wondering why I kept bouncing the starboard bow off the piling when I was coming into the slip. That's why. :facepalm: I really should have known better. It seems so stupid and obvious now.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 95
If you have a combination rode I don't see any value in fastening the end of the rode to ring or eyebolt in thr chain locker with another line. If for some reason you need to let the whole thing go simply cut the rode itself.

You are right. My line is attached to the eyebolt so I have what you have, just a bit longer. My point was that if I ever go to an all chain rode, I never would have thought to add a length of line. Now, with your suggestion, I will.

Dave

An old salt told me these 3 things:

1) when in doubt of your position or route, STOP THE BOAT, until you're sure. You can't get in too much trouble stopped.

2) Don't follow some other vessel assuming he knows where he's going. (See #1)

3) Try to cross a sailboat across his stern. (They tend to be a bit touchy about such things)

Last edited:
An old salt told me these 3 things:
3) Try to cross a sailboat across his stern. (They tend to be a bit touchy about such things)

Excellent suggestion! However it is just a corollary to:

"Look behind you to see what your wake is doing to boats, docks, bulkheads, etc behind you. Not only is this courteous, but you are liable for any damage caused by your wake."

Dave
(touchy sailor)

you are liable for any damage caused by your wake."

Dave
(touchy sailor)

Oh, here we go again.

That is actually a myth, driven by rag-boaters, people who anchor tiny boats in a major waterway to fish, and those living on the water.

This is a bit embarrassing, but I had a bit of a 'oh... Duh!' moment shortly after getting my boat. (One of several hundred such moments, actually) At first, when I wanted to steer on something, I'd line my spot light or anchor up with it, thinking 'that makes sense, those things are on my centerline.' Of course they are, but the helm isn't. It's offset to starboard. So I was off 10 degrees all the time.

For the first few months I had the boat, I was wondering why I kept bouncing the starboard bow off the piling when I was coming into the slip. That's why. :facepalm: I really should have known better. It seems so stupid and obvious now.

One of the reasons young car drivers have so many fender benders. Same thing. They pick out the center of the car but their seat isn't centered. They struggle with staying in the middle of the lane and with knowing where the non-driver's side of the car is. Typically they look too close to the car rather than looking on out front at the road ahead.

My electric head chews everything up with its macerator, so this is not necessary.
My brother used to do this on his 42 Californian sport fisher as the hose from the head to the holding tank was so long it often plugged up. He did not have a Jabsco electric head that had a macerator that pulverized everything. My last boat had an electric head with a macerator and it was problem free the whole time I owned the boat. (8 years) :blush:

I stay just slightly upwind of and the same speed of sailboats!!!!....;) They really think it's cool!!!!

That is actually a myth, driven by rag-boaters, people who anchor tiny boats in a major waterway to fish, and those living on the water.

Watch out! Wake coming your way.

Didn't mean to touch a nerve there menzies. Maybe it is just different here in the upper left hand corner.

RCW 79A.60.030: Operation of vessel in a negligent manner — Penalty.

Ah, the old "touch a nerve" response when receiving a contrary opinion. Got it.

Nope, pretty much the same.

But you are making the mistake of only applying this rule to the boater making the wake.

Now consider the person who puts his boat and crew in a location where the normal traffic means large wakes and does not have the vessel or crew to handle it. Or does not maintain his property in such a manner that the usual and normal traffic wake will damage it.

I have seen a small dingy with about 18" freeboard anchored right by a green marker on the ICW down this way in a "normal speed" area with two large guys in it. Now if a sportsfisherman coming in from outside blows by and swamps them, who is liable?

If a captain puts his vessel and crew in harms way given the normal conditions of the area he is in - is he liable?

Think of the two words below - unduly, or unreasonably. Is it unreasonable to operate you boat in the ICW channel at cruise? Is it unreasonable to operate your boat at cruise past waterfront home with docks in an unrestricted area. It is unreasonable to continue at cruise past an oncoming rag-boat, or when overtaking one?

Also take note that it says you should take into account the effects of vessel wake - not "your" vessel wake.

...operate in a negligent manner" means operating a vessel in disregard of careful and prudent operation, or in disregard of careful and prudent rates of speed that are no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation, taking into account the amount and character of traffic, size of the lake or body of water, freedom from obstruction to view ahead, effects of vessel wake, and so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger life, limb, property or other rights of any person entitled to the use of such waters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom