Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #421
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Not about to post anything here about my best technique or any of my techniques or inventions.
Send Us PM Then!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #422
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Send Us PM Then!!
Wifey B:
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #423

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Just a little thing but it sure keeps the shower/tub area dry and free of mold. And no, you cannot get locked in "Captain Ron" style.

The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #424
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
An easy way to remember which side is which, for me anyway... On the AICW or GICW the green marks are always closest to the ocean. Therefore heading South on the AICW, green stays of Port. On the GICW heading South green would be on Starboard. Technically it would be gold squares and not green marks since when the ICW shares a channel the marks can get reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post

1) Here is a pretty simple way to keep us reminded of where the ATONs belong. See the red and green "snack bag" clips on the windshield? When there's a lot going on we find these can be very helpful reminders. (Yes, that's the Great Bridge, Virginia lock just ahead.)
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #425
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Technique for keeping teak deck plugs from coming out.

For the past three years I have been following this simple treatment in handling teak plugs coming loose on my 1983 island Gypsy. My deck is still a good 3/8 inch thick and holding in place, but some of the plugs have come loose and the screws are working loose here and there.

Each Spring for the past 3 Seasons I have gone over the whole deck, removing any loose or worn plugs, then I would take out the screws, most would screw out, though some needed prying out with a finshing nail in a vice grip to raise them enough to remove.

Then I would drill down with a 3/8" Forstner Bit which made a perfectly clean hole and the center point would clean down to the underlying fiberglass. In my case I could see a clean white gelcoat surface.

I would pour West System epoxy into the hole. Often it would fill right away but some would wick more epoxy under the teak and I would generally let it take as much as it wanted. I would NOT replace the screw!
With the hole half full of epoxy I would drive a new plug in all the way to the glass deck. This would force the epoxy into the original screw hole and any excess under the teak.

I never had to do any of these over again! Each year the new crop was less and less. You cannot find a loose or thin plug on my deck now. The deck is still holding to the sealant under it even with 25% of the screws no longer there.

If the deck fails because of this I will just throw it away and patch and paint. But for now I am enjoying a nice looking and feeling teak deck.

Try it you will like it, it is rewarding doing something once and not chasing loose plugs forever.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #426
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
This may seem too obvious but never run right up the middle of an unfamiliar channel regardless of the volume of traffic. If you are working your way into a shallow creek you aren't familiar with, it is temping to stay right in the center but if it starts to shallow, you don't know whether to go right or left for deeper water, if you intentionally offset yourself to the right side, not only are you being courteous, but you know where to steer for deeper water.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #427
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The rules say stay to the right...makes sense.... but on the ICW....you never know where deeper water is, a random turn to center may or may not help.

It is better to learn how to read the water and interpret depth sounder info.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #428
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
... If you are working your way into a shallow creek you aren't familiar with, it is temping to stay right in the center but if it starts to shallow, you don't know whether to go right or left for deeper water, if you intentionally offset yourself to the right side, not only are you being courteous, but you know where to steer for deeper water.
Not sure that finds the deeper water. Where the waterway bends, the deeper water is likely to be on the outside of the bend, where the water runs most.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #429
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
wifey B
Seadog2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #430
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Not sure that finds the deeper water. Where the waterway bends, the deeper water is likely to be on the outside of the bend, where the water runs most.
The point is to intentionally run a little offset from where you think the center of the channel is, if you know where you are along a contour line, you know where to head for better water.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #431
Guru

Quote:
The point is to intentionally run a little offset from where you think the center of the channel is, if you know where you are along a contour line, you know where to head for better water.
But the point is the ICW contours are far from reality, so you really don't know which way to deeper water unless you can actually read the ripples, debris lines, water speed, cut banks or flats, etc.

The ICW depths while mostly are charted correctly, but where the large amount of shallows are and hazards listed on Active Captain....there is no center to follow or prescribed way to turn...otherwise it would be posted that way....and is certainly not well presented by even the most recent charts.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #432
Guru

Not the contour line on the plotter, the contour line that your sounder helps you find.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #433
Guru

Wifey B: On the ICW the rules for best place to be change throughout at every twist and turn. Sometimes it's a wide turn getting deeper the wider you go. Other times it might be that the deepest area of the channel is to starboard but then you get out of that channel further to the right and you're aground.

As to one technique or idea. Sun Tan Lotion. There's nothing more important to our boating routine. People can get sunburned if they want but they can't do it on our boat or when traveling with us. It's just as much a part of safety as life jackets or not running on board are. It's a huge threat to active boaters. Any exposed skin gets lotion.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #434
Guru

Quote:
Not the contour line on the plotter, the contour line that your sounder helps you find.
OK....so if you don't know where they are because the plotter can't show you positively, you still read the water, structure or zig zag till you find the deepest vwater.

Any one depth sounder contour can run you up a blind alley onto a sandbar.

So hugging your right side of the channel helps with the Navrules, but does nothing with helping you find deepest water.

Our point all along.

Ooops...missed the post where suntan lotion is the most important thing in navigation.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #435
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OK....so if you don't know where they are because the plotter can't show you positively, you still read the water, structure or zig zag till you find the deepest vwater.

So hugging your right side of the channel helps with the Navrules, but does nothing with helping you find deepest water.

Our point all along.
That's one place boating for decades on lakes did help us when it came to coastal cruising. You didn't have plotters or radar (until our last boat there) and depth sounders were used moderately. You learned to read the water and structure and the same things you read there are true on the coasts.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #436
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We use every means at our disposal when under way. Paper, electronics and eyes. IF we're ever unsure or confused, it's dead slow (Helps to get unstuck if you're not HARD aground). In the past I've gotten myself into trouble by being a "magenta line cruiser". One place that comes immediately to mind is heading south on the ICW just before Camp Lejeune. Marked channel is just about ashore on the west side. Marked but sort of counter intuitive. As I recall, REALLY close to shore...and not really able to read the water. Wide stretch of water with little noticeable current.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #437
Guru

Ask Ski from NC about the shoaling just north of Wrightsville Bridge Bridge.

The channel is very narrow and against the docks.

Had 2, 50 foot or so sportfish go aground just in front of me so close I almost ran into them as they completely blocked the channel and we all had a strong, fair tide with us.

Nope...most of the time just to the right of centerline works in the ICW and other narrow creeks, but not in enough spots to make it a rule turning back to center will help.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #438
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Our point all along.

Ooops...missed the post where suntan lotion is the most important thing in navigation.
If I am running in what appears to be the deepest water and my depth drops by .5' and then 1' in slack water with no disernable visual clues, is the channel getting shallower or am I wandering out of the channel? In absence of any other clues which way should I be zigging? Or should I just continue staight ahead? If you already know you are favoring one edge of the channel you will have a better idea which direction to head first. It isn't a technique to use blindly while ignoring visual clues but just a way to augment and make a more educated guess.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #439
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I like it around here. Generally we have very deep water until you hit a rock.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #440
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I like it around here. Generally we have very deep water until you hit a rock.
Thus your famous photo!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote