Old 08-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Never approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it.

When using twins centralize the rudders and never touch the wheel when docking - use the gears and a little goose if needs be.

Put a little plastic trash can in the head(s) and tell all visitors that all TP goes in there rather than the toilet (both #1 and #2s).

Set the morning coffee maker up before you start drinking for the evening.

Whomever takes the dog ashore for the last pee of the night gets to stay in their bunk during the first pee of the day.

Weaver davits on the swim platform WILL Stub your toe severely at least once every weekend.

Just because they get paid to work the docks at a marina, doesn't mean that they necessarily know what the hell they are doing. Make sure to tell them CLEARLY what you want done.

Tip yer durn dockhand!

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great thread! Here's one of mine. We had some Sunbrella left over from some cushions we had made a few of years ago. I had the shop stitch up the remaining piece that I added snaps to. Now- as the morning sun intrudes onto the port side of the sundeck- I snap my "blind" onto the hardtop for relief. I switch sides later for the evening sun. Actually I have snaps in place on the aft part of the hard top as well. This is left over from our last slip which would get lots of evening sun into the salon.
Notice the snaps on the bottom. I would snap these together to be able to lay bottles of water for weight- though this never worked that well. I think the trick for this design is to NOT try to contain all four edges. Across the top and maybe one corner has made for a long lasting approach to some shade (which I love) .
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440963032.880295.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	43745Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440963051.398372.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	43746

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
If you have an older trawler that has been through several previous owners, the electronics probably have been upgraded a few times. LORANS, depthfinders, old auto pilots and radios come to mind. Installers simply pull the old wiring tight and clip off the cables at the harness. Take a couple hours some day and pull out the old unused wires. When you eventually need to troubleshoot something, it is much easier to trace cables when the old stuff is out of the way.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
1- The flag across the way from our slip is always a dependable indication of what the wind is actually doing in our marina and let's me know what to expect while docking.
2- Yelling while docking, mooring or anchoring never helps. We have a quick chat about the situation before maneuvering then use hand signals to accomplish the task. If something goes wrong we talk about it when finished.
3- Most importantly; we boat for pleasure so if it's not fun we're doing it wrong!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
The Admiral says:

1- Check the Current Atlas every time.

2- Update your wind and weather outlook often.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Three things...

First, be exceedingly kind to the people at every marina, restaurant or area you visit, and start before you arrive. Same with bridge tenders and lock masters. Make them all feel that you truly appreciate your help. We do so that's not a fake belief. This is your recreation so it should come with smiles and be upbeat. In return you'll find 98% of the time you'll get treated wonderfully. Part of it is follow up as well. Yes, you may have reservations but speak to them the day or two before and then let them know you're close. Even if for some reason they weren't prepared, you're giving them a chance to correct it before you arrive so they look good and you're taken care of. We treat dockhands with respect. Also, if you can turn it personal and not all business. Years ago I dealt regularly with manufacturing in Puerto Rico, on the west side. There was one person there who stuck rigidly to the tradition which was to never start a phone call with business. Even if he talked to you two hours ago he'd ask how you were or how your lunch was or something. It's amazing how it made the calls go. We laughed about it but it was a great tradition. I try to do it today. My wife naturally does it. We deal with the same bridge tenders regularly when home. They have good memories. Fortunately, we're on their good side.

Second, put things away. A place for everything and everything in it's place. You don't have a luxury of space. Regardless of boat size it's still likely smaller than your house or last house. The boat won't ever feel crowded if things are properly stowed.

Third, when going to foreign countries and ports for the first time, use an agent. Everything will go smoothly. Smoother than you could have done it yourself? Not always. But never less smooth. I can say without question we got cleared with less problems and quicker than other boats arriving and not using an agent. Call the agent a little before your arrival and they'll be there to help.

Remember, this is fun. This is pleasure. Even when it seems not, remind yourself it is. Fixing something that is broken is still part of the pleasure as it brings you closer to the pleasure.

Oh...my wife has one more.

Wifey B: USE THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #27
Guru

Boat mantra: Use it or lose it!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I don't know about using an agent. We use them routinely in our business for foreign clearances. That is one of the few businesses that gets paid in excess of what they think it might cost UPFRONT. In other words, wire us $100,000 and if there is any left we'll send it to you.....after a while...maybe.
My first wife was a customs broker who dealt with shipping agents on a daily basis. Some of the stories would defy your imagination.
I hear the Mafia is looking to get into that business.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

Put a little plastic trash can in the head(s) and tell all visitors that all TP goes in there rather than the toilet (both #1 and #2s).
Yuk! Menzies, were you a former sailboater? All my sailboat friends do this with their manual heads, but none of the powerboaters I know do this.

My electric head chews everything up with its macerator, so this is not necessary.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Yuk! Menzies, were you a former sailboater? All my sailboat friends do this with their manual heads, but none of the powerboaters I know do this.

My electric head chews everything up with its macerator, so this is not necessary.
Not yuck at all. In fact I believe it encourages guests to go before they come and/or wait until afterwards! Saves my holding tank from filling up!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Not a technique or invention; just a suggestion.

We decided not to buy anything for Badger (our first boat) in the first year of ownership, except for a new/larger anchor and rode. This kept us from buying lots of gear we thought we needed, and allowed us time to learn the idiosyncrasies of the older, but entirely adequate, equipment already aboard.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Or just buy the right TP and avoid problems. We do (on our sailboat with manual heads) remind the guests to use the TP sparingly and to flush frequently and long.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Tell your guests that the first person to use the head cleans it at the end of the day.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #34
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
God Please don't turn this in to a toilet paper thread. I'm enjoying all of the great ideas!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #35
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I hold a "pre flight briefing" before we take guests out. The info includes where life jackets are, safety rules including nobody going up to the bow without my permission and unless the boat is stopped, and use of a marine head. That includes the use of TP ("3 sheets") and the caution that if they use to much they WILL plug the head and I WILL know who did it because they'll have to come tell me.

I also caution them that when we return to the dock nobody is expected to do anything unless I specifically ask them to do it.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #36
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
God Please don't turn this in to a toilet paper thread. I'm enjoying all of the great ideas!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Please Please Please - I agree!!! This thread is about great boating use ideas... not TP.

There's already been a shitty TP thread about a year ago. It never got fully to the bottom of things (pun intended). If you need to squawk about toilet tissue and where to stuff it... please go to the search feature to find that crappy ol thread and post there.

Happy Boat Daze! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

We decided not to buy anything for Badger (our first boat) in the first year of ownership, except for a new/larger anchor and rode. This kept us from buying lots of gear we thought we needed, and allowed us time to learn the idiosyncrasies of the older, but entirely adequate, equipment already aboard.

I think that's great plan and one we plan to use as we try to close a deal on a N46. There are many bells and whistles that I think we can be without. Just need to spend some time on the boat to find out what's really important to us. We'll see, survey and mechanics reports come in next week!
goboatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Please Please Please - I agree!!! This thread is about great boating use ideas... not TP.

There's already been a shitty TP thread about a year ago. It never got fully to the bottom of things (pun intended). If you need to squawk about toilet tissue and where to stuff it... please go to the search feature to find that crappy ol thread and post there.

Happy Boat Daze! - Art
Censorship!!!!!!

Or is that Censortp!!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #39
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

This is great advice. Wish I had known this before I bought all my unneeded stuff.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #40
Guru

I bought a drift parachute - never needed it.

EPIRB, never needed it.

Personal beacons, never needed it.

Liferaft, never needed it.

Full set of spare items for one engine (belts, filters, impellers, etc.) never needed to dip into it yet.

So, it does depend on where you are going. If staying inland and local that strategy may be fine. But there is a ton of stuff on any "small ship" that will hopefully never be needed. But you should have it.