Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #221
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
A couple of times when we've found ourselves in larger waves than normal things in the refrigerator have shifted around and that caused the door to open and some of the contents fell out onto the floor. The refrigerator and freezer doors don't have latches on them from the factory.

I tried to think of a way that we could add something to keep the doors firmly locked in place and here's what I came up with. I cut a piece out of the side of a gallon milk jug and installed two snaps for the doors then screwed it to the frame above the refrig/freezer. It works great and it was cheap to do. My kind of fix.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #222
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
So we bought a folding side guard rail like you would put on a child's bed which fits perfectly at the end of our full size mattress - instant little headboard that folds flat on the foot of the bed when not needed.
Thanks, we thought of doing the same on our boat (same hull, different name.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
...and thankfully my helm chair is in the middle of the flybridge so no additional calculations needed
Yup. But on my last boat, I had so much trouble with people on the helm using the burgee staff as a pointer that I did the thing with electrical tape on the rail, too. Nothing scientific, I just sighted where I thought the point directly in front of the compass was, memorized the spot, and went forward with a roll of tape. That mark was more accurate than any course you could keep on a light boat in choppy waters anyway.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #223
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
A couple of times when we've found ourselves in larger waves than normal things in the refrigerator have shifted around and that caused the door to open and some of the contents fell out onto the floor. The refrigerator and freezer doors don't have latches on them from the factory.
Nice solution, Mike. I did something similar with a side hook on my second fridge but the contents would shift quite a bit in rough water.

I picked up a set of these spring-loaded bars at the RV store to help hold the items in place. One also serves duty as a privacy curtain rod at the steps when we have overnight guests onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That mark was more accurate than any course you could keep on a light boat in choppy waters anyway.
Tom,

Your experience reminds me of when I was a flight instructor in my late teens and early 20s. My students for a commercial license had to learn a maneuver called a Lazy 8. It looks like this.

When done properly, the nose of the plane scribes a sideways 8 across 180 degrees of the horizon. The altitude gain/loss and angle of bank/rate of turn needed to fall within tight parameters. It's a challenging maneuver to teach airplane control and smoothness in a non-static condition. Some of my students had a heck of a time getting it right until I learned to place a dot on the windshield at their horizon reference in level flight. Then they just used that dot to trace an 8 on the horizon.

I had so much success with that technique that I started carrying a grease pencil in my flight bag and all my students got a 'dot' when I introduced the maneuver. It really helps folks dial in the proper magnitude of correction needed to complete the maneuver successfully.

Same thing with boating....just in 2 dimensions instead of 3.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #224
Scraping Paint

City: -
A technique/product we used for the first time yesterday afternoon is Rescue Tape. In our case, it lived up to its name by preventing our boat from sinking in the middle of Bellingham Bay.

It was the only option we were left with to prevent a steady ingress of water from outside the boat and it worked as advertised. Our only previous experience with it was to "repair" a tear in a garden hose at home. But in a truly "rescue" situation it saved the day.

It took a whole role to accomplish what we needed to accomplish, so needless to say we are going to order more of it and then keep it handy in an "emergency" repair kit that we know exactly where it is on the boat.

Needless to say, it's a product we highly recommend having on one's boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #225
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
So what was the cause of the leak?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #226
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
So what was the cause of the leak?
1+

Where and what was the cause? You got back to port I assume, but but damage from the leak?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #227

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
He's definitely got MY attention!
Guessing it was a hose.

I use miracle tape on the various lines we have aboard. I tape a different color on the ends to indicate the length of each line. (ex: red=75', black= 50'...)
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #228
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
He's definitely got MY attention!
Guessing it was a hose.
From yesterday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We started to sink it this morning while adjusting the packing glands. But we decided we were't done using it so we got out the tapered dowels and rescue tape and after a tense 30 minutes or so managed to keep it on top of Bellingham Bay. For now.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #229
Scraping Paint

Not a hose. That would have been easy. Way too long to describe here and it's irrelevant to the thread. Just get Rescue Tape and keep it on board. Fabulous stuff.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #230
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Rescue Tape is wonderful stuff. DO NOT GO CHEAP and buy a knock-off. Someone replaced my real stuff with a bargain and it was near worthless.

The real deal is 1/16" thick (give or take) and able to withstand high temperatures. The cheap stuff is about half that thick and the roll I was given didn't stretch nor seal as well as Rescue Tape.

I've used it to seal a leak an exhaust hose and where I had a fuel line leak at a fitting. It's good to have.

As for me I prefer the clear stuff so I can see through it. I've used white too. Having a roll in my toolbox is a given. $10, give or take.

It seals to itself so keep that in mind. It's not for everything, but well worth owning.

And Marin, what happened?? Half the tale won't suffice, though we are glad you returned to port safely.

Never mind... Saw your response. Glad you're fine. My roll was used on a stuffing box issue (boat was stopped/water ingress was LOTS) and it worked. Kept the Westsail32 afloat at least.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #231
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Aw shucks...I had hoped Mr. Marin was writing a mystery novel but glad things turned out well.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #232
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My boat's refrigerator ultimately relies on a mechanical "snap" on the latch to secure its door. Seems obvious to me that magnets alone will not be sufficient.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #233
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Plus one on the Rescue tape. The dozen or so rolls I keep aboard have reduced the number spare hose lengths considerably. The stuff has saved mo on the road too.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #234
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I tried to think of a way that we could add something to keep the doors firmly locked in place and here's what I came up with. I cut a piece out of the side of a gallon milk jug and installed two snaps for the doors then screwed it to the frame above the refrig/freezer. It works great and it was cheap to do. My kind of fix.
Self adhesive Velcro done in a similar way gets 'er done without drilling.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #235
Guru

Quote:
Not a hose. That would have been easy. Way too long to describe here and it's irrelevant to the thread. Just get Rescue Tape and keep it on board. Fabulous stuff.
You were sinking due to misadjusted packing gland/s!? Sounds like you should add a larger capacity or two bilge pump to your "need to buy" list along with the rescue tape.

Or maybe one of the hoses holding the stuffing box split or let go and you had to tape it up. Or a shaft managed to back out of the box. Now either one of those could overwhelm the average bilge pump set up.

You should start a new thread with the detsils. Could be very instructive to others.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #236
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Self adhesive Velcro done in a similar way gets 'er done without drilling.
The adhesive can have a habit of letting go at the wrong time.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #237
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You were sinking due to misadjusted packing gland/s!? .

Nothing to do with the packing glands. Like I said, it's way too complex and time-consuming to write up here. Suffice it to say Rescue Tape saved the day (and the boat) and it's now sitting in the yard for repairs. Case closed.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #238
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Nothing to do with the packing glands. Like I said, it's way too complex and time-consuming to write up here. Suffice it to say Rescue Tape saved the day (and the boat) and it's now sitting in the yard for repairs. Case closed.
Hmmm . Sounds to me like operator error eh?

Now let's have a think.

I'm thinking water comes in through a busted hose, or through a busted hull?

It would also work on the inside of the hull I am thinking - maybe if the helmsman hit something? If it was a hose, then closing the through hull would mean that you could fix it in the water. Fiberglass not so much.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #239
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Enough already! Cut Marin some slack. If you had one of those nearly lost the boat moments and your boats now sitting in the yard for repairs, you might want some peace also.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #240
Guru

Quote:
Well OK then. So much for that idea.

Good luck in the yard.