Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #21

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Thank you, I have been a lurker for years, finally took the plunge so to speak and bought my boat last month, lots of time spent researching and estimating the total cost of ownership… all these numbers are close to my estimates… what a huge relief

Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
................ I should be alive about 15 more years to enjoy it than if I was still smoking and drinking.
But what's the point of living if you can't smoke and drink?

Seriously, good for you. I quit smoking in 1972 and quit drinking a few years ago. Neither was that difficult and I feel a lot better for it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Cheap moorage is not always good moorage. I don't object to the higher costs when it brings with it:
  • safety from theft,
  • no weather issues,
  • good cruising grounds when you slip the lines without having to go for hours to hit the "nice" water
  • good docks with lots of water,
  • good surface facilites such as washers, toilets and showers,
  • trash boats not allowed and
  • easy/close access to good eateries, stores and yards.
Most maintenance and upgrade costs are at the owner's discretion (or lack of) and very much pocket book based. A 34' $40K 35 year old trawler has different "maintain the asset" requirements than a 50' $600K 10 year old vessel.

For you newbies, don't get fooled by thinking this sport is cheap and without unforeseen $$ needs.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

For you newbies, don't get fooled by thinking this sport is cheap and without unforeseen $$ needs.
Very, very true. On the other hand I suspect that the blessing of being a newbie and NOT knowing the kind of never-ending effort and expense that will be required, is that we envision mostly the upside and that's what get's us into a cruising boat to begin with. If we had really realized the extent of the continuous and often high expenses involved in boating, I wonder how many of us would have backed away from getting a boat in the first place, and thus not had the experiences that, for most of us, make the expenses worthwhile?

Of course the same can be said of any pastime, from owning and flying a plane, restoring cars or worse, racing them, to having a horse, golfing, traveling, to you-name-it. In our case we figure the money we will spend on boating would have been spent on something else equally "unproductive" but life-enhancing. So we don't worry about it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Interesting. Our household CFO (AKA my husband) recent calculated we'd spent about $15000 in the past year on the boat and boat related expenses. That includes fuel, slip fee, transient docking on frequent trips, yacht club dues, routine maintenance like changing the oil, professionally done waxing, some canvas, an inverter installation and new house bank and a haul out for a new cutlass bearing. I'd have to agree it = priceless.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Total Annual Cost (inc Tollycraft and tow behind, trailor-storeded at marina Crestliner runabout = $7,700 ...
Art, am I the only owner paying annual property taxes on his boat?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Jennifer
Your $$ are much more reflective of many of us, low for me in fact when I include discretionary spending. Lots of "cost to boat" low ball numbers appear to be floating around on this thread, starting with the OP.

Mark
Good point on taxes. Sales and property taxes are avoidable for some of us.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Mark - Your very nice Coot is pretty darn new, and you paid tall $$$ numbers to own your nice new boat... so... the "Tax Man/Girl" drools over the $$$-value they can continue to place upon your boat that enables them to annually tax you steeply via their $$$-value %age basis. Regarding our 1977 (35 yr old) Tolly (although still in near perf condition, comfortable, seaworthy, and fun as heck!) the "Tax Man/Girl" decided that our boat no longer enables them to have $$$-value drool dripping down their chins and therefore their $$$-value %age basis taxes us at an extremely affordable annual cost. The minimal annual tax cost we pay easily folds into the following three cost-items I excerpted from my # 13 post on page one of this thread. That’s why I didn’t separate the tax cost! This is another reason why we purchased a real good condition older year Tollycraft – Relatively low costs for ongoing great enjoyment!

Cheers and Happy Boating, Art

2,000 +/- gas
1,000 oil/equipment/general-maintenance, new goodies etc
300 Bottom paint etc (haul every few years – intermediate, I dive often to keep clean and new anodes
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Mark - Your very nice Coot is pretty darn new, and you paid tall $$$ numbers to own your nice new boat... so... the "Tax Man/Girl" drools over the $$$-value they can continue to place upon your boat that enables them to annually tax you steeply via their $$$-value %age basis. ...
Yeah, and the Coot's property tax is equivalent to that on my home. The good news is that the boat's tax will decrease over time as the state depreciates its value to offset the rising value/tax of the home.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
No, you are not. I pay personal property tax each year on my boats (yes, they tax the dinghy as well). Somebody has to pay for all the free lunches and subsidized housing the other 49% are getting!

Although I keep receipts and records, I don't add all the boating related expenses up to get an annual figure. Whatever it is, the enjoyment and peace is worth more than what I spend on the boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman
Although I keep receipts and records, I don't add all the boating related expenses up to get an annual figure. Whatever it is, the enjoyment and peace is worth more than what I spend on the boat.
Agree w that 100%. Only reason we have a figure is the CFO keeps everything in excel and can total by category. It is WELL worth it to us. It is our primary leisure time activity and we'd rather spend a weekend on the boat than at a hotel/ out of town.

My figure does include property tax. Just forgot to mention that.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #32

You can't take your money with you when you kick the bucket.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
Guru

You need your priorities right.
"Honey, we`re saving money not using the school bus the kids need new shoes and coats so they don`t freeze on the way to school and come down with facially disfiguring life threatening drug resistant influenza".
"Sure Hun, but I saw this shiny new anchor,it`s really important,..."
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
80-100 hrs a year
4600 a year for slip
96 a month for divers
380 yearly for zincs
50 to 65 a month for electric at slip
3000 a year for insurance
burn on average about 10 gals an hour for short trips and around 6 for longer trips at slower speeds.
Ave a 100 dollars a night when staying at other marinas, about 15-20 days a year.
Anywhere from 100-250 a weekend when hanging on the boat for groceries, beer and liquor.
around 1000 dollars a year for oil change, filters, impellers and coolant change. I do the work, thats just parts.
2000-4000 just for misc stuff.
I'm sure theres more but that is just off the top of my head. Now take into account I work overseas anywhere from 6-8 months a year and use the boat about 2-3 weekends a month when I am home. 2013 expenses will go up as I am planning on more extended trips as the Admiral is retiring.
Damn now I need a stiff drink. Thanks Daddyo for making me think about it. Hell now I get to go down to the boat and wash it!!
that works out to roughly, not counting the booze and taters, 1369.00 per month. I am surprised as i thought it was gonna be more. My total for your list came out to $16430.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #35
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
You can't take your money with you when you kick the bucket.
kick the bucket? Ain't avid boaters more likely to jump into the bucket......welll a berry big bucket
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #36

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Fuel, maintenance, insurance, property tax seems pretty level no matter where you are. What I am amazed by is slip costs. My slip in Ventura CA a 53' liveaboard.........$13,000!!!!!
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #37
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I thought the slip costs for most folks were amazing, and must have taken some hunting down. I quit mine in Puget Sound (Edmonds) when going onto the hard for a refit. But it would have annualized at $10,500 incl elec and liveaboard.

Other annual costs are rounding errors compared to refit costs.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #38
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Interesting to me that one of the ongoing questions on this forum is how to burn the least possible amount of fuel, yet fuel costs are one of the lowest of the "fixed" costs. Many of y'all could double your fuel usage and not really feel it.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Don't know but in Washington "all" we pay is the annual registration fee which diminishes as the boat gets older.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Interesting to me that one of the ongoing questions on this forum is how to burn the least possible amount of fuel, yet fuel costs are one of the lowest of the "fixed" costs. Many of y'all could double your fuel usage and not really feel it.
That's right, and it's one reason we keep debating the notion of going to a much faster boat. Even if our fuel use went from six to twenty six gallons per hour our fuel cost would be damn near free compared to the other annual ownership costs.