You (Us) old guys have lots of options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I could not co-own a boat. Perhaps that's the controlling part of me plus I think I have higher standards than most.

I take a boat with me when I RV...

Pete M wrote .. “ I love boats and boating. I guess I never see myself without a boat, right now I have four or five.

I always say, "There is a boat for everyone".”
And I’ve always said “No mater how much or how little money one has there’s always many boats to have and enjoy”

My e-mail begins w “manyboats”.

as a soon to be 65 yo....I'm still working as Captain on a 151' salvage tug... Kind of conflicted , because the thought of retirement scares me... I hope to get another 2 years of working before I'm done... I get to work with talented young crew who make working fun...Plenty of time off.. No pleasure boats in my stable right now, but I still keep and eye out for one.. The camper experience is new to me, but having fun with it!.... Hoping to do 2 more transatlantics towing a navy ship in 2024 before I hang it up...We will see.. Non of us getting out of this life alive..

SOF, post some pics of you tug. Sounds like you have a good gig going.

Old Norse saying

a man without a boat is a man in chains

regards Ted

Attachments

• 20220315_090444.jpg
    20220315_090444.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230623_090108.jpg
    20230623_090108.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230528_142652.jpg
    20230528_142652.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10
Ahmm , A little help with pics please! lol
First Pic is lying Cambeltown ,Scotland after towing USS Boone from Philadelphia Naval shipyard. Stood by while Navy wired compartments up for Nato Sinkex. We towed her up off outter Herbides Islands and cast her loose. Us and British shot missles into her for training.

Second pic is hauled out for some love and bottom work at GMD Brooklyn (old Brooklyn Navy Yard)

3rd pic is towing R/V Petrel from Edinburgh, Scotland to Tampa, Fl last spring.

4th pic is the Petrel up under her bow in Scotland. Petrel was built by Microsoft guy Paul Allen for deep ocean research. She was lying in Scotland and the US Navy bought her from Allens estate. Navy drydocked her in Edinburgh and she fell over in the graving dock...28 people hurt, some badly. My company was hired to do the salvage/refloat and make ready for sea. Navy wanted her on US soil for next Drydock

The top picture is one of her in Brunswick, Ga after the car carrier rolled in the inlet.

Bottom picture was later in the salvage op.

Attachments

• 20191027_164601.jpg
    20191027_164601.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191027_155321.jpg
    20191027_155321.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
as a soon to be 65 yo....I'm still working as Captain on a 151' salvage tug... Kind of conflicted , because the thought of retirement scares me... I hope to get another 2 years of working before I'm done... I get to work with talented young crew who make working fun.

Unless or until the Coast Guard says that you shouldn't hold a license anymore, is someone going to make you retire?

In terms of physical capabilities, being able to rewind the past 20 years or so would be mighty nice - like when wrangling a piece of heavy gear, heaving in an anchor by hand, or shinnying around in a tight engine compartment. But when it comes to seamanship, youth can sometimes be over-rated.

Anyway, if they're as smart as they are talented, I suspect the young crew working with you are learning a lot just by watching and listening to you. That's valuable for everyone.

Unless or until the Coast Guard says that you shouldn't hold a license anymore, is someone going to make you retire?

In terms of physical capabilities, being able to rewind the past 20 years or so would be mighty nice - like when wrangling a piece of heavy gear, heaving in an anchor by hand, or shinnying around in a tight engine compartment. But when it comes to seamanship, youth can sometimes be over-rated.

Anyway, if they're as smart as they are talented, I suspect the young crew working with you are learning a lot just by watching and listening to you. That's valuable for everyone.

no, the company will let me work as long as my health holds up.. Renewed my Capt license last year so all good there too.. We Will see how it goes...I get every other month off, so seems like I have been semi retired for 35 plus years.. I lost count on which license issue I'm on...

Back
Top Bottom