Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #81
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If you want to take the analogy further. Docking and undocking a twin in a slip, is similar to cleaning out a stall with a skid steer.

Never actually managed that without knocking the bucket on the side. But thankfully didn't have much opportunity to practice.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #82
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I am fully experienced driving a twin screw boat. Does that mean I can hop aboard the nearest dozer and take off? I'm so excited about this prospect.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Try it - You'll like it!

Full track equipment are great (a blast) to carefully and productively operate. Also, no winds, tides or currents to interfere. When you stop moving the equipment - - it STOPS moving!

Good beginner training process for twin screw boat operators.

Single screw, straight drive, boat owners... well... can you ride, steer, and back up a unicycle... if so, you'll do fine!
Wifey B: Is there like a heavy equipment playground somewhere? Maybe that's a new business idea. We just don't keep that kind of stuff around the house you know.

Think I'm a bit beyond beginner training point now as a 200 Ton Master. (Hubby is too). Although surprised some women haven't pushed for a female term, but 200 Ton Mistress sure wouldn't work.

Ok, so we have analogies for twins and singles, you got one for jet ribs?

I think for any of it the real key is lots of practice in non threatening places. Our trainer made us practice docking on the open water with 30 knot winds and the imaginary dock was repositioned so we practiced with the wind from all directions. Well, it wasn't totally imaginary. A Laser Beam. Now we'd operated twins for years on small boats but not the same. You can sort of manhandle or womanhandle a small boat into position but as it gets bigger you have to move it in more gently.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Well, the best setup to me is three engines. Get where you're going real fast (30 knots), bumble around exploring and stuff on one (6-9 knots) and maneiver on two plus a bow thruster. While you may still get mocked at the dock you'll never hear them if you rev up all three with the muflers kicked out.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Well, the best setup to me is three engines. Get where you're going real fast (30 knots), bumble around exploring and stuff on one (6-9 knots) and maneiver on two plus a bow thruster. While you may still get mocked at the dock you'll never hear them if you rev up all three with the muflers kicked out.
I've seen a builder pushing exactly what you describe. Instead of three engines with three normal transmissions, they're built so any of the engines can be totally disengaged.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #86
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
A crazy Dane in Powell River built his own boat with two gas outdrives and a diesel inboard.

South Harbour. About 36', blue lapstrake hull with no name, usually near the fuel dock, if your ever around there.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
A crazy Dane in Powell River built his own boat with two gas outdrives and a diesel inboard.

South Harbour. About 36', blue lapstrake hull with no name, usually near the fuel dock, if your ever around there.
Oh my....and is it ever dangerous at the fuel dock. I know a captain recently who turned his back as they started to fuel his boat. He noticed and reacted quickly, but quite a project to remove the gas from the diesel tanks. Now, a boat that uses both....
Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #88
keb

City: Portland, OR
"Wifey B:.

Think I'm a bit beyond beginner training point now as a 200 Ton Master. (Hubby is too). Although surprised some women haven't pushed for a female term, but 200 Ton Mistress sure wouldn't work. "

I can just imagine the Crew Position Wanted posting....

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #89
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Especially if they each have 12 cylinders and burn 100 octane fuel and are built by Packard.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #90
Guru

Playing around in a dinghy using the oars to manoeuvre will demonstrate most of the effects you want to achieve with a twin. Fun risk free practice, though it lacks windage challenges.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote